stool color during and off benzos?

Anyone have yellow/light brown stool during and after benzos? Need to know because I'm suspecting a bile duct disorder. Originally heart palps after eating is what got me into this benzo mess in the first place. Those have went away for the most part but same color remains. Need the healthy brown color to return.

Hi drugfree2k,

Yellow to whitish stool usually means the food is going through your intestines to fast. You might want to try

1. a good probiotic

2. (short term) Cheese

3. fermented food like sauerkraut or Kimchi

4. whole grains

5. a little extra lean protein.

Cheers,

Adie

Actually its not. I have BM one or two times every 24 hours. I also have tried yogurt, kefir cheese, Papaya, and mostly gluten free. I suspect its something to do with bile.

Hi drugfree2k,

One way to check if bile secretion is the culprit is to check your urine. When you are peeing normally is your urine clear, slightly yellow or yellow?? Best time to check this is when you have held your urine for a couple hours or in the morning...

If your urine is always clear (outside of a Benzo peeing episode) along with whitish stools you probably do have a bile secretion issue. then you probably should mention this to your Doctor.

And drugfree2K, this is nothing to panic about. Its is actually quite common...

Once last question and I know this is gross. Do your stools float? What I'm getting at hear is if they float you have lot of fat in the stool, sooooooo, the ole' gallbladder may have a couple of small gallstones that you can not feel yet...

Once again very treatable and nothing to panic about. A simple Abdominal Ultrasound will give you the answer. They are quick and noninvasive.

I hope this helps a little...

Cheers,

Adie

Hey drugfree, I saw a youtube video a fewe months ago.. Maybe you saw it also.  I am sure we all did a lot of googling.  Thats how I got here.  Anyway I think his name is Brian Baxter.  He starts off in the first video about yellow or white stools.  I see your last blood draw was 5 weeks ago.  You can even do a search in this forum.  Lots of people with very pale poop, and keep in mind thaty you got hit hard with a lot of physical symptoms so this could be the case. 

None float as they fall all the way to the bottom. Abdominal xrays and ultrasounds performed and no stone or something out of the ordinary lol. I've done it all that at this point wouldnt be surprised if its WD. Because if it is I need my second brain that they call our gut to get its act together already. The day it changes color is the day I I start believing in miracles.

Sorry but whitish or clay color stools do not mean youre moving stuff along too fast. It is a classic symptom of liver disease.

BUT I have read a bunch of posts here about it happening in benzo w/d and havent a clue why.

If this happened to me on a consistent basis I would definitly get some lab work done. Liver functions, to be exact.

east

I agree with eastcoast that it's always good to get lab work done to rule out any serious problems.

Once you do, just try to relax about it. Your stomach is lined with GABA receptors; small wonder that benzo w/d wreaks havoc with GI function. "Clay colored" is different than "lighter than normal", and bile production/diet/etc can have a lot to do with all this.

Abdominal xrays and ultrasounds performed and no stone or something out of the ordinary lol. I've done it all that at this point wouldnt be surprised if its WD

It sounds like you've had enough lab work already to relax about serious problems. Watch out for too much youtube etc, there's a lot of pseudoscientific nonsense out there that sounds plausible but just isn't true.  If you're not having any pain, and you're able to function, then your body is getting the nutrients it needs! You could try keeping a log of what you eat to look for any patterns.

For what it's worth I had all kinds of strange movements during w/d. I think I'm well on my way to being healed now, and things are more normal, but my stomach is still more sensitive to insult than it was 10 years ago.

[d4...]

I have all mentioned on an almost daily basis and mucus in my stools.  I have been lab tested for everything..... bloods stools and urine..... continuously come back negative of all.  My food passes through primarily undigested, my gut is in a mess. 

It is w/d I dont have anything else trust me I have been poked and prodded within inches of my life. 

All I can do is wait for the healing to happen.

Towards,

Have you been checked for Celiac?

My stools have been yellow for about 6-7 minths...  When I flush, there is a cloud of something (maybe undigested fat)..

When I first started to investigate this, I found many Benzobuddies with the same problem during withdrawal.

I do have Celiac... I was diagnosed in December 2012.. The gastro doc thinks the stress of withdrawl kicked it in...  I never had stomach problems prior. Celiac is genetic (autoimmune) and sometimes it doesn't kick in till later in life..  I'm 54 and t all started about a year ago.

BoccB

[d4...]

Towards,

Have you been checked for Celiac?

My stools have been yellow for about 6-7 minths...  When I flush, there is a cloud of something (maybe undigested fat)..

When I first started to investigate this, I found many Benzobuddies with the same problem during withdrawal.

I do have Celiac... I was diagnosed in December 2012.. The gastro doc thinks the stress of withdrawl kicked it in...  I never had stomach problems prior. Celiac is genetic (autoimmune) and sometimes it doesn't kick in till later in life..  I'm 54 and t all started about a year ago.

BoccB

BoccB

Yes I have...... there is nothing I have not been tested.  I see a group of  benzo wise Dr's and they have ruled out everything.  It is benzo benzo belly.

I've heard you need an endoscopy to figure out for sure about celiacs. Is that true?  I've also had weird stool but it's not all the time so I chalked it up to wd.

Benzo withdrawal can actually cause celiac? Wow...I didnt know that.

So, youre now on the diet for it? Are you doing okay with that? I was tested for it a couple years ago and nope, I didnt have it. And all the symptoms that sent me to a GI doc have mystyeriously vanished since getting off Kpin, the "wonder" drug. HA!

I, too, thought that they had to do a scope to diagnosis it. Am I behind the times?

east

I just looked it up and I AM behind the times. Getting old, I guess. Theres a blood test they can do, and if its positive, they may recommend an endoscopy. Now, that is progress.

Hi East,

I had the 3 blood test and it showed positive... Then they did the endoscopy / biopsy to check the villi...  Yep..

Regarding Benzo's causing it... Let me rephrase... You have to have the genetic markers for it - Then a major stress event etc can kick it in..

I'm Italian and have eaten pasta, bread, etc my whole life without any problem whatsoever...  The issues started about 3/4 way through my taper...

I was diagnosed when I was off benzos for 4-5 months...    I'm glad you said that...  I don;t want people thinking that Benzo Withdrawal causes Celiac..

Any life altering stressful event can kick it in if you have the "potential" to get it.    Thx,  BoccB

I tested for celiac disease and it was negative. Regardless I'm eating more gluten free and organic foods to help nourish the gut. I've also started to gain weight slowly. This is definitely a good sign.

since benzo w/d, mine are light clay yellowish.  I've always had a "rock hard" stomach where I could eat anything and never have a problem with GI issues.  My GI problems are very minimal.  I eat fairly healthy, and my gut feels normal.

mine is light green some of the time but i eat a lot of salad with spinach though, but mostly it seems ok.  mine was like you described earlier because of benzos.

[d4...]

This is gross, but what does mucus in a stool look like?

md40 - for me it is a milky like substance that I pass with nearly every bowel motion.  It comes and goes with me....

No I dont have bowel cancer or any other nasty..... I have had every conceivable test......  my gut is not working properly.... Benzo belly!!!!

Towards,

Are you at least able to gain weight and feel like you are absorbing your nutrients?

[d4...]

Towards,

Are you at least able to gain weight and feel like you are absorbing your nutrients?

Drugfree,

Up until about month 4 I looked like I had been on a hunger strike!!!!! I wasnt able to tolerate any food without seriously cramping, doubling over in pain and ending up in the ER!!!!!!! Now I am gaining weight and  still have gut/bowel problems they are just different and still dont tolerate much food.

:-\

Towards.