Darvocet

[ge...]

Hi,

Does anyone besides me take Darvocet for pain? I know it is habit-forming, so I only take half a tablet at night because without it I can't sleep at all. Do you think that taking only half a Darvocet once at night is going to turn me into an opiate addict? I just can't stand the stomach and head pain caused by withdrawal. I know Darvocet is not incompatible with benzos, but other painkillers don't seem to help anymore.

Love,

Genie

Hi

Not sure but coming off of darvocet has to be a walk in the park after benzos, I assume taking it as little as possible would be your best course, the old tolerence quandry.

Bob

Hi Genie!

I take Darvocet every day of my life...usually twice a day..but some days I don't take any at all.  I have a very painful connective tissue disorder and could not work without it.  I have not had any problems at all with it.  But that's me and I no longer take benzos and have fully recovered from the withdrawal.  Not sure how it would affect you but from what I understand it is much less addicting and problematic than say vicodin or percocet.

Love,

Jen

• 1 month later...

I had to take Darvocet for a long time after surgery while also on Klonopin.  I was taking two Darvocets every four hours.  From what I was told, Darvo is the least addicting and "safest" of all the opiods.  For nearly a decade I took it a few days a month for severe period pain without any problem.  Not sure if that answers your question, but I never had any trouble coming off of it and didn't even end up finishing my prescription.

(oops - I'm sorry ..I just saw this was an old thread.  I'll leave my response in case anyone else has the question if that is ok.  Otherwise, Admins feel free to delete and I'll look more carefully at the dates next time.  :-[ )

Don't worry about it, CaliforniaD.  You left good information that someone else may benefit from.  I'm so glad you are looking around and posting.  ;D

• 2 months later...

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the heads up on this. I take so little of it, that I suspect coming off it won't present a major problem, but I just wanted people's input on this.

Hugs,

Genie

Hi Jen,

I am sorry you have to take two Darvocets every day for connective tissue problems. Some folks take it for fibromyalgia. From what I understand, it's much milder than Percocet. I once had a benign lipoma removed from my shoulder, and the doctor gave me Percocet, and it made me walk like a drunken sailor.

I am glad the Darvocet helps you to work without too much pain. I can't work because my w/d symptoms are so debilitating. Besides, I have Graves' disease and I retired a few years ago.

Love,

Genie

The Geriatric Junkie

Hi Californiadreamin and Beeper,

My thread wasn't that old, and I do check it from time to time. I was aware that Darvocet is milder than many of the opioids and my doctor specifically gave it to me for pain which keeps me from sleeping. I don't take it during the day even if I have pain, since I am on a fairly high Valium dose yet, and I don't want to get too groggy.

Hugs,

Gene