May need to take an antibiotic..

[WT...]

Obviously anything in the fluoroquinolone family is out..  I'm 21 months off and still have symptoms -- any suggestions?

8)

There have been a few of us here who had severe set backs after taking a Z Pak (Azithromycin).  Seems some people can take it without any problems- but others were not so lucky.

There have been a few of us here who had severe set backs after taking a Z Pak (Azithromycin).  Seems some people can take it without any problems- but others were not so lucky.

Is this drug related to amoxycillan, or penicillin?

No, it is an Azalide.  Amoxicillin and Penicillin are in a different class.  I had to take Amoxicillin for 2 weeks when I was at 5 months off for an abscessed tooth.  The only thing I noticed was my anxiety increased- which by comparison to the Z Pak reaction was nothing.

WTBNA - one of the TRAP moderators passed this along to me about a year ago. I just thought I would share it here. Take it for what it is, just a list. However, knowing these folks like I do, it's well researched. I don't have any back up documentation.

At the time, I was questioning taking Macrobid. I was able to take it and it didn't cause any notable symptoms except a oitteo increased anxiety.

Best of luck to you!

Flip

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Antibiotics

HI Flip, 

Treasure from TRAP gave me this list to ABs to avoid.

The antibiotics which can cause problems are the following all quinolones/fluoroquinolones. There are a dozen or so fluoroquinolones marketed around the world. Also some people have problems with these two macrolide antibiotics azithromycin and clarithromycin. Erythromycin seems not to have effects on the nervous system and it is in the macrolide family.

Remember that brand names can vary from country to country but generic and drug family names tend to be the same world wide.

Fluroquinolones

generic - brand

ciprofloxacin - ciproxin, cipro

Levofloxacin - levaquin

Moxifloxacin - avelox

ofloxacin - floxin

NOTE - All fluoroquinolone can cause serious problems in recovery. They can even adversely effect "normal healthy" people. Their side effect profile is controversial. We have had several members have serious side effects and one who had life threatening epileptic seizures from the fluoroquinolones.

Nitrofurantoin

Brand names

Furadantin

Macrobid

Macrodantin

Nitro Macro

Urantoin

We have had one report of a bad reaction to this drug. It is preferable to a quinolone but if you have an alternative option it may be worth avoiding this antibiotic.

Macrolides - Erythromycin doesn't seem to cause people problems in withdrawal and doesn't seem to effect the nervous system however two drugs in the macrolide family can cause central nervous system effects and have been reported as causing problems. These include:-

Generic - brand

azithromycin - Zithromax

clarithromycin - Biaxin

Anyway this is only because you were having doubts with the AB you are taking now. I really hope this one works well for you and kills the infection.

Take care my love

Laura