Getting off klonopin, new to the board

Posted this on another benzo forum anyways here it is:

Hello, I am new to this forum, My name is Jon and I am 21 years of age. it's good to see their is a place for people trying to come off benzos. Anyways I have been taking about 2mg of klonopin perday for the last two years but within the last few months I have increased my dosage to about 3mg per day. I have also been on ssri's such as paxil and zoloft at certain times throughout the last 4-5 years and they have seem to helped at times but have been off those for about 7-8 months I would say. Anyways I am looking to get off klonopin. One reason is that my psychiatrist decided to terminate me because he felt no progress was being made so he left me off with one last script of 60 1mg pills. Another reason is that I don't want to become dependent on these things and have my tolerance increase more throughout time.

Anyways, I was thinking about going on an ssri to get myself feeling less anxious and then trying to taper off the klonopin using the ashton method. Do you think this is a good Idea? Please let me know.

I also am a gambling addict, and I smoke both marijuana cigs, but lets get through one thing at a time here.

I have all types of anxietys but my main physical symptoms are trouble swallowing and trouble breathing alot of the times and some times a general feeling of depression or anxiety.

Anways, there you have it.

Thanks

Hey Jon-- welcome to Benzo Buddies!! As far as getting off with what you're on, we can help with the benzos for sure. Usually we recommend tapering 10% of your stabilized dose every 10-14 days. You may need to get more Klon to get you all the way through your taper, but check it with someone else first. As far as going on an ssri to help you get through the benzo taper, you can but I'm not convinced it'll help all that much. A lot of folks on a/ds will experience some anxiety anyway. Whatever you decide to do, don't c/t.

Hang in there-- we're here for you.

rufus

I have all types of anxietys but my main physical symptoms are trouble swallowing and trouble breathing alot of the times and some times a general feeling of depression or anxiety.

Hi Jon and welcome to BenzoBuddies.  It's good that you have decided to get off the klonopin, these symptoms are common in wd, I think you have started tolerance. Starting an a/d wouldn't necessarily help with wd and would add another drug to your system you eventually have to get off of.

Good idea to get off the benzos, but it's important to know that if you are prone to anxiety, pot can make it worse, and it's the also easiest thing to quit. Just some food for thought. No pressure from me.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

T

Hi

I was given Zoloft to deal with anxiety, little did I know it was benzo produced anxiety, it did NOTHING to help this chemically induced state. I'm not damning ad's just that if your being affected by benzo symptoms , for ME they didn't work.

That being said I think you may need to look into finding  another Doc who will work with you, as you might need more benzos to do a gentler taper, but since you mentioned Ashton you must already be aware of that fact

Bobers

Hi firsttube.  I'm guessing you're a Phan?  (First Tube is one of my favorite Phish songs)

I agree that laying off the pot if you can will help you in getting off the Klonopin (also my poison).  Many years ago I smoked daily, and after about 3 years it gave me so much anxiety I just stopped.  However, that's me, and my experience.  It's a suggestion only, and like TPirog said, no pressure, ok?

Careful with SSRI's.  They can actually increase anxiety.  It's actually listed as a known side effect.  Zoloft produced nasty anxiety with me.  I stopped taking it over a year ago.  For me, the less Klonopin I take, the less depressed I'm feeling.  I've gone from 6-8m down to my current 2m, and when on the high amount, I was having all sorts of depression symptoms.  Being at 2m now, and not having any depression at all.  Each taper has given me more positive energy and less depression. 

Hi Jon!

Welcome to Benzobuddies!  Well, chalk me up as another one with troubles with A/D.  It made me very anxious.  From what I understand, that's supposed to go away after a couple of weeks...but I never made it that far.  Couldn't stand the feeling.

The pot could be the biggest part of your problem and you don't even realize it.  I've only tried it a couple of times back when I was a teenager...but I REALLY didn't like it.  Made me a paranoid, anxious mess.  But, only you know how it affects you and whether stopping would benefit you.  Whatever you decide to do, we'll be here for support.

Love,

Jen

Hi firsttube,

Your doctor sounds like my first excuse for a doctor. He had me on a fairly high dose of Ativan and forced me into cold turkey withdrawal by refusing to renew my prescriptions. I didn't want to go cold turkey on my own, so I wound up in a detox facility -- THIS WAS THE WORST MISTAKE I MADE IN MY LIFE! It is dangerous to just stop taking these drugs. I don't mean to frighten you; this is just a fact which many on the group know about or have experienced firsthand.

It is important for you to find another doctor ASAP who will either let you taper slowly off Klonopin at the dose you were on or a doctor who will switch you to a longer-acting benzo such as Valium.

If you just stop the drug, you risk getting seizures and some very serious after effects. I, for one, almost had renal failure post detox.

SSRIs do not affect the same parts of your brain as benzos do, and if you try to substitute one for the Klonopin you still will be in trouble. I know this because I tried Paxil (aka Paxhell) to no avail.

Please read the Ashton Manual at benzo.org.uk and find yourself another doctor. There is also a list of doctors available, and, if you let the group know where you reside, perhaps someone here can recommend a doctor for you.

Don't worry about your other habits -- one thing at a time!

Love,

Genie

Welcome to the board, Jon.

My story is no different. I was given Prozac and Klonopin for anxiety ( 20 mg of Prozac and 1 mg 2 times a day of Klonopin) I only ever took 1 mg of Klonopin. I found that the Prozac for me produced more anxiety, so I tapered off that about 6 months ago, started it a few weeks ago, but after 3 pills--here came big time anxiety. So I am Prozac free indeed :yippee:

Now, my big issue like you is the Klonopin. I am doing a gradual taper . I take only .5mg a day in the am, which is a relatively low dose. But you must taper slowly. There are a lot of good people on this board who will give you support and respect. They even allow you to get angry with anxiety and don;t blast you (LOL) although I should be smacked sometimes.  :idiot:

Today, was my first day of my water taper that a guy on here named Colin set up for me. He is a good man who will work with you if you want that type of slow dance taper.  Don't overanalyse, ask for help, exercise, breath deep, drink chamolie tea, pray, meditate, and laugh. Remember, this is all only temporary.  :thumbsup:

Hitman60