Remeron (Mirtazapine) Withdrawal Support Group

[no...]

JUMPED!

Tonight I finally took my last dose.

Wow Jack, tremendous work! Really solid taper, let us know how you do! Congratulations!

Dave

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ja...]

• [Co...]

• [ja...]

• [no...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Just posting what is left of my Remeron taper in my signature before I edit it. I ran out of characters to post the rest of it. It has happened before and I cut out some of it but this time I am going to remove a lot of my cuts and get my characters down significantly. At least it will be here if I need to reference it.

8/21/19 started mirt taper 13.5 9/4 13.2 9/11 12.6 9/18 12 9/26 11.4

10/13 11.1 10/20 10.8

11/10 10.5 11/17 10.2 11/24 9.9

12/1 9.6 12/9 9.3 12/16 9 12/23/19 8.7

1/5/20 8.55 1/9/20 8.4 1/16 8.1 1/23 7.8 1/30 7.5 2/6 7.2 2/13 6.9 2/20 6.6 2/27 6.3 3/5 6 3/12 5.7 3/19

5.4 3/26 5.1

6/1 4.95  6/4 4.8 6/8 4.65 6/11 4.5

6/15 4.35

6/18 4.2

7/6 4.05

8/11 3.15

9/19 3

10/1 2.64

11/1 2.04

12/1 1.68

1/1 1.38

3/1 1.08

4/5 .78

6/21 .3

6/27 .24

7/4 .18

7/11 .12

7/18 .06 mg

Jack you have done a great job, man. I am celebrating you.

Could i ask you what have you suffered most after 5-6 mg till zero. I cant understand how depression sucked me after 8mgs till 5mg(now). It is very hard to cope with. Have you suffered that either ?

Honestly June I have not suffered depression. I mean I have felt depressed about missing out on so many things the past few years. I feel a lot of despair and regret. However, it is not induced by the medication and I am able to work through it on my own. It is normal to feel negative emotions during and after going through something as awful and traumatic as this. I can only speak for myself as I know how severe my withdrawal was but outside of this group I suppose I would have to speak to a prisoner of war or the like to find an equal on the level of torture I endured. I am not being dramatic or sensational, I sincerely believe that. I mean I was literally locked in a room against my will and tortured and experimented on. I really believe that the doctors that “treated” me in the hospital were sociopaths. They destroyed my body mentally and physically and I had to lie my way out of there. My family had to go all the way to the president of the hospital just to get me out. People who had no family were kept there and experimented on, some for months or years. It was insane. The doctors threatened me multiple times. One doctor actually told me that she was “in charge” of me now and that I would take whatever she told me. I almost backspaced all of this but I am going to leave it. I don’t talk about it. I should because I know I am not the only one. Having been through this and having been through the horrific death of my daughter I do get depression. But again like I said it’s not from the drugs. I suppressed a lot of the things I just said here. The way it’s making me feel I can see why I would.

Tapering mirt did get harder the lower I went. You’ll notice in my signature that the first year I went from 15mg to 3 mg and the last 3 mg took an entire year on it’s own.

I'm feeling stuck and discouraged.  I decreased from 22.5mg to 15mg back in February 2021.  I've had so many symptoms, but there are a few that haven't improved since I've reduced.  The worst is the burning.  I have it on my arms, legs, hands, face, scalp, mouth, gums.  Some days are worse than others, but it just doesn't seem to go away.  Has anyone else experienced this?  I know that it's common in benzo withdrawal, but I've honestly tried everything to help, including holding this dose for six months now.  I didn't experience it prior to tapering, so I really feel like it's a withdrawal symptom. 

[7d...]

Just tell tapered zopiclone. My acid got bad. Just a week now  cut a quarter off my 15 mirt tablet. My burning when i eat even worse..same happpened reducing diaz so i went back on to clonaz. No change.

I still have clonaz to go. I have now the chiice of liquid .mirt here uk. 1ml is 15mg. My gp has said reduce by 0.1 ml every week. Is that ok? I at mo bave cut quarter off my 15 mg tablet. Maybe thats too much so i w ordered the liquid and will start again at 1ml reducing 0.1 ml each week what gp says. Any comnentd welcome

Jack soo sorry re your daughter. You deserve happiness now what hell youve been through.

Just tell tapered zopiclone. My acid got bad. Just a week now  cut a quarter off my 15 mirt tablet. My burning when i eat even worse..same happpened reducing diaz so i went back on to clonaz. No change.

I still have clonaz to go. I have now the chiice of liquid .mirt here uk. 1ml is 15mg. My gp has said reduce by 0.1 ml every week. Is that ok? I at mo bave cut quarter off my 15 mg tablet. Maybe thats too much so i w ordered the liquid and will start again at 1ml reducing 0.1 ml each week what gp says. Any comnentd welcome

Jack soo sorry re your daughter. You deserve happiness now what hell youve been through.

.1ml is way too fast in my opinion. I have not seen too many people who needed to taper who were successful in going that fast. If you were able to taper remeron in 10 weeks then you could probably just cold turkey which I don’t recommend. Not everyone needs to taper Remeron. The only problem is that you won’t know which side of that you are on until it is too late. Now if you know you are going to taper then starting with a .1 ml reduction is great. That is a 1.5 mg cut off of your 15 mg dose which is exactly 10 percent which is what even the manufacturer of Remeron recommends in their pamphlet for discontinuation. I started with a 1.5 mg cut and it caused some pretty brutal symptoms which subsided in about 3 weeks. If you make that .1 ml cut I would wait 1 month to see if you get any symptoms. If you do not experience any symptoms then I could see how a faster taper would be reasonable. It seems that the average is 2 years. Some do it successfully in 6-12 months and some do it in several years. However, in my opinion for a drug that most spend years tapering 10 weeks is not much different mathematically than a cold turkey. Doctors do not seem to be educated on this. You need to listen to your body and your symptoms will dictate the speed and length of your taper. It is very personal and you will have to figure it out as you go along. But .1 ml is a great starting cut, however if you cut a week later you will be cutting before the symptoms of the first cut have completely settled on you. For most symptoms peak about 3-7 days after a cut and don’t settle down for a while. Start slow you can always speed up later if it turns out you are one of the lucky ones.

Just a week now  cut a quarter off my 15 mirt tablet. I still have clonaz to go.

Hi Basten,

I am wondering, you are tapering a benzo and Mirtazapine? The first thing that I think of is, why the rush? Why not do a solid taper of the Clonazolam and wait with tapering the Mirtazapine? I am just curious. If you do go through with tapering Mirt, then I think Jack's advise is very good. Slow but steady. And no, doc's are not well informed about this. I wish you a lot of luck. Last time I tapered 15 mg in half a year and this was way too fast. Had a lot of difficult weeks. If you have access to liquid, give yourself some time and go slow. Good luck!

Also, just curious, is your name 'Basten' after the famous dutch soccerplayer? I'm dutch as well. That's why I wonder.  ;)

[7d...]

Hello Jack thankyou very very much for all youve said. I am getting the ljquid again. My gp is happy to do what i feel as you said. Reason wanted off was weight gain over 17 months ans uncontrable bad carbs sweet eating makjng me border diabetic now and still hungry but have tried real hard no biscuits etc. I cut quarter off my 15 tablet 2 weeks this Friday im not too good but dont know whats cahsing what as

Yes oxy im still on 0.5 ckonaz. I have the liquid and tried it 2 nights as have been given a 6 ninth taper plan but now i know i must not taper both. Spoke to gp. She says my case ia complex as i have pain yeats estinf which seem to have got far worse since i tapered off zopiclone after 2half years and wirse sinnce reduced mirtaz. Ive no idea whats going on whats causing what. I do have gastritis but never like this. I am waitinf test resukts of manometary and BRAVO. Food is affecting how i sleep. It feels like my oesophagus is t working good and stomach skow to empty.  If nothing the consuktant is discharging me...then im stumped.

My main thing is im alresdy in such pain eating and bad muscle knee pain since hip fracture so cant walk far. I know if taper clon pain will increase. My GP said its up to me. The liquid clon taper she wrote was 0.1ml every few weeks. Long taper..the other from a good benzo charity have given me a 6 month liquid but another lady there said you can cut your 0.5 clon tablets in half take quarter off see how go but seems to me a quarter off 0.5 is about equiv to 2mg diaz?

Jack did you wake feeking weak in arms legs tapering mirt? Did your eyes feel dry and funny and hard to concentrate?

Basten is my maiden name Oxy. My father said once he thinks somewhere down the line ancestors cane from Belgium.

I

Yes, the weight gain is a thing. It's the worst! I am trying very hard not to gain weight, but it's so hard. The weight gain was reason for me to taper Mirtazapine fast. But this time, I am going to take it slow, which is a challenge for me. I will wait for the right time.

And your story about your maidenname makes sense. It is def. a dutch/flemish name.

[7d...]

Oh ta my dad was right re name.

I try soooo hard not to eat but its still a bightmare. Its made me borderkine diabetic and high cholesterol. I would do a fast but dont eat..pain. tapering mirt did you feel weak arms legs on waking etc,

[7d...]
Must be as its a cns suopressant like bs. I was weak trying reduce benz although had to go back up. Perhaps itsca combo.

So, today is 14 days since I jumped. I was having pretty bad insomnia the first week. I didn’t mention it because I was waiting to see how it progressed. I was taking 10 mg of melatonin to get 4-6 hours of sleep. The first night off I did not sleep a single minute even after taking 10 mg of melatonin and had to call out of work that next day. Sleep has been improving. I actually hit a milestone the other day. It was about 3 nights ago that I got 8 hours of sleep without taking anything since this whole mess began. No benzo, no remeron, no melatonin, no benadryl. Absolutely nothing. I just got tired, laid down and slept all night. That’s a very big deal to me. Since then I have been taking 5 mg melatonin to sleep which I am more comfortable with. Last night I think I could have slept with nothing but took the melatonin anyway because I had a lot to do today and wanted to make sure I slept. So, all in all sleep seems to be improving already. Definitely having a bunch of stomach stuff but I honestly bring a lot of that on myself. Last night I had Boston Market and while I was there I bought an apple pie to bring home. I ate the entire pie last night while watching TV. Lol. So, I mean maybe I deserve the stomach stuff. Lol. I get episodes of air hunger. I have had 3 huge panic attacks. I did not really have any panic attacks in the last couple of years while tapering so that is notable. Other than during the panic attacks I have not had any anxiety or anything like that. My mood has been normal, no depression or anything like that either. All in all it really has not been too bad. Pretty much like any other cut and so far everything has been pretty mild. I have had cuts that were worse, many multiples of times worse in fact. I am still active, working hard and exercising. So again, so far so good at 2 weeks.

Tnx for the update Jack! How bizar that even with this slow taper you still get insomnia, but I am glad you are sleeping well again. Keep it up!

Jack, that’s great to here. Thanks for sharing your journey. I just stopped on tonight to read my messages and thought I would stop by.

Jackie :smitten:

3 week update.

So three days ago I woke up feeling off. Over the course of the day I developed burning lips and mouth and then it started all over my body with some flushing feelings. When I went to go to sleep I got slammed with this adrenaline thing. It was not as severe as when you are having a panic attack but it was like a lower dose of adrenaline and very drawn out. It went on for hours and made it hard to fall asleep. It was giving me anxiety but the anxiety was fairly mild. I kept getting up to drink water and my heart would pound when I was walking around like it would after you got scared of something. Every time I laid down I would vibrate. It was pretty uncomfortable.  I eventually fell asleep and then in the morning I woke up feeling sick. I felt feverish, has stomach stuff and had no appetite that whole day and basically just got by on bread and water all day. I ran a low grade fever on and off for the past two days and I have zero energy. Actually, yesterday I got a lot done despite my fatigue. I cleaned the whole house top to bottom, did and folded three weeks of laundry(fell behind there) and mowed the lawn, edging and trimmed all the hedges, flower beds and all. It was a lot. I felt real fatigued but pushed through and felt generally better when I was doing stuff. Today I just vegged out on the couch which is fine because it poured here all day anyway and I couldn’t do much outside and the whole house and yard are caught up now anyway. Then my son developed a cough and fever last night and now I am wondering whether my symptoms the past few days are just me fighting a virus as I now know there is definitely one in the house. Lol. Either way, none of it has been severe and I am confident I will be fine. I have read on other sites that 3 to 4 weeks after jumping is peak withdrawal symptoms for Remeron. I guess we will see. I always expected to get something after jumping and so far it has all been far easier than the horrible scenarios that I anticipated. Yesterday was also what would have been my daughter’s 13th birthday and we spent a good portion of the day crying and being pretty emotional. That was mainly why I did so many chores as I was trying to busy myself so I would not dwell on the pain. And of course the emotional distress alone can flare up physical symptoms. So, that’s it. Still I would rate rhe final jump symptoms as less severe than many of my routine cuts throughout the taper. Hopefully I will be symptom free soon.

Well here I am at 25 days off and I’m in rough shape. Last night I had zero sleep. I was vibrating and skin burning all night. I had severe gastroparesis and my dinner just sat there burning in my stomach all night. I could not throw it up because everything was just locked up and paralyzed. I had this is benzo withdrawal and it is really scary. I had burning and cold sensations back and forth through my body and my blood pressure was 160/110. I did not sleep a single minute. I still have this flu feeling with super low 99 - 99.5 fever. My appetite is gone. Thankfully about 7 am this morning the anxiety left and my blood pressure dropped down to 140/100 which is high but better. This really sucks. I hope it doesn’t go on to long. I’m not going to be able to go back to work until this passes. I missed today. I don’t think it’s just going to magically get better. Maybe a few weeks if I am lucky. I am definitely glad I tapered as low as I did. Rough.

26 days. Last night was much better. I was very very careful with my diet yesterday. I ate only white rice, white chicken and carrots for all three meals. I had some mild anxiety before bed which I think was just me being scared about having a repeat of the night before. When my head hit the pillow I felt calm and the anxiety cleared and I slept 8 hours. I woke up about an hour ago with some mild nausea which has already cleared. BP is 135/90 which is a good improvement even if still a little high for me. Hopefully today goes okay.

27 days. So yesterday was not so bad. I got a lot of work done around the house. I had no anxiety and slept really good the night before. My appetite was a little better. Last night I had a lot of anxiety. It was not nearly as severe as the other day but it was pretty uncomfortable. I still feel it right now. I have that vibration feeling although it is very mild compared to the other day. BP 126/90 so still improving there. I slept OK last night, could have been better but I’ll take it compared to the other day. Stomach is still a mess and the doc wants me tested for c diff again. I also have folliculitis on my legs which is exactly what happened to me during my last bad wave like this last year after a lot of cutting and I had c diff come back at the same time. It makes me wonder if my immune system gets weakened during Remeron waves or if it is just a coincidence. I sure is deja vu. I had a 99.5 fever pretty much most of the day yesterday. I’ve had that for a couple of weeks now I think. I already feel tired as hell today and have mild DP/DR. I’m not sure how today is going to go. I guess we’ll see.

Sorry to hear its rough for you right now. Do you think this is benzo sx that the remeron was masking all this time ?

I don’t. However, I think that it could be a benzo wave triggered by the CNS stress of my Remeron discontinuation. Either way, the severity of my symptoms have decreased a lot symptoms since that real bad night I had a couple of days ago. I am having another productive day again today. I am in a good mood. My stomach is shot though. I just had a chicken sandwich from Wawa while running some errands and it feels like a brick in my stomach. On the bright side it’s the first time I felt like I could eat something besides rice and carrots. No nausea so far. My anxiety dropped once I started doing stuff today and it’s pretty low right now. Not quite gone but very easily ignored.