Remeron (Mirtazapine) Withdrawal Support Group

[no...]

Hello Mirt buddies. I am having some trouble after my small cut. Has anyone had bad neck pain? I have it on one side and it feels like an injury. Ibuprofen helps but I still have it after a few days. Thanks buddies. Becky.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ja...]

• [Co...]

• [ja...]

• [no...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Remeron gets stronger the lower the dose. Below 7mg. Why taper and not just jump at a higher dose.

That's a good question. However, despite hearing this many times in my experience it does not get stronger as the dose gets lower. As a matter of fact, once I got under 4 mg I had to start taking melatonin for sleep again like before I was on the remeron. I am now down to 1.68 mg and I do not get as sleepy as I used to after taking it. Also, I feel that after getting below a certain amount it's antihistamine effects start dissipating as well. My allergies are worse the lower I go. If it's antihistamine properties became stronger the lower you go then I would expect the opposite. I think the stronger the lower you go is only true to a certain point and only applies to specific effects of the drug.

Pains. You, Pokey and others and sometimes me. I think all are related to Gut health and unfortunately i am in a bad condition now. I am curious how you tolerate painkillers, because all they break the flora. I took Vit C, bitter melon and lastly a probiotic. After all of them i am sure Gut is the king of this game. Mirt WD is based on it. And i broke it. And there are options limited. Antibiotics/pain killers/supplements dont work or even worsen the condition no matter what purpose are taken. Damn this stuff and whoever found this. I am trying to heal my Gut, but i dont know even herbs interact with it. So if you have a chance to apply a cold/hot patch there do it, bacause any other thing reaches the Gut makes the process harder. Wish me luck on the way of healing. I am suffering badly depression now...

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

So tonight I will be updosing for the first time since I started this journey. I tapered down .66 mg in 30 days and that has proven to be too steep in these lower digits. If I wasn't starting a new position tomorrow I could honestly tough this out but I need this hell to end as soon as possible so I have decided to give this a shot. I will only be increasing .06 mg which is approximately 5 percent of my current dose. My current dose is 1.32 mg and I will move back up to 1.38 mg. I got really sick during the holidays last year as well by pulling the same shenanigans. Last year I tapered too fast wanting to hit 7.5 mg by New Years and this year I did the same thing trying to hit 1 mg. My body was giving me signals 2 weeks ago but I kept going. It has been 8 days since my last cut and I am starting to slightly stabilize but I will updose anyway and hold until all is resolved.

I have had a lot going on that lead up to this point. My wife and I are selling our home and buying another home. We are closing in 2 weeks and anyone who has done this knows how stressful it is let alone during a taper. Add to that the holiday shopping had me eating whatever I felt like. I was eating Chinese food and ice cream frequently, fast food daily for about a month now. I was eating massive amounts of sugar and the last two days I ate lasagna, stuffed mushrooms, olives, soda. My histamine levels are through the roof and I am suffering immensely. EVERYTHING is sore. Walking actually hurts. Today I was good. I guess I am going to have to take better care of myself to get the end of this taper done. I will also have to slow down and realize that as much as I wish I could I don't truly have control over when I am done if I want to remain functional.

To take care of myself today I started a course of quercetin, ate extremely clean (all low histamine), washed the bedding, used the neti pot, changed the filters in the air purifier and took a day off to rest and tonight I will updose reluctantly and hope it helps a little. I am praying that I feel okay tomorrow as first impressions are super important. Then of course I need to get back to packing. At least I didn't crash while I was getting the house  ready for inspections. The worst of the moving stress is over now so that should help.

Jack,

For what it's worth, I think you are absolutely doing the prudent things to correct the situation. I am sorry you have been suffering as you have been, but I think you are going to stabilize in light of the corrective actions you're undertaking. No doubt your life is stressful now with a new position, and a change of dwelling on top of that. I think even someone with an unhindered nervous system would not find those things particularly easy. I know I wouldn't.

Really appreciate you updating and putting your path forward out there. It will help others.

Hang in there, man.

Dave

Thanks Dave.

Today went well. I still felt pretty rough but I felt good enough to do my job today and I was able to turn it on and BS with the new crew and get my job done with no issues. All in all it's a win. My energy levels were up significantly today. I don't know if the updose helped or if it was everything else I did. I ate very clean again today. I ate only microwavable potatoes and sweet potatoes, rice cakes, applesauce with vitamin c and pistaccios. For dinner my wife is making me some fresh chicken with thyme and parsley cooked in ghee and I'll eat some brocolli with it and a big pile of white rice. The rice gets my blood sugar up and makes me fall asleep easier. I can't sleep when my blood sugar is too low. I am now starting a new routine of showering before bed instead of in the morning so that I know I am not bringing any environmental allergens or toxins into the bed. I am going to do the neti pot again tonight as well. I am also taking better care of my teeth. I get a lot of gum bleeding. I started using a water pik and now the bleeding has stopped. Something we don't think too much about but even gingivitis is your body fighting bacteria and this flares up our mast cells as well. I work in a very dirty blue collar field so sometimes I get a little lax about hygiene. One of my childhood idols was my older cousin who used to brag about the grease under his fingernails(auto mechanic). You know, cause it makes you more of a man, lol. I come from the culture where we eat with dirty hands and laugh at the guy that won't and call him a sissy. As I type it I think it probably sounds strange to anyone that wasn't brought up this way but in my circles it's normal, lol. Anyway, time to step up my game in all areas to help my body through the last of this taper.

Jack- Im curious, how is your gut doing?. All through my taper off mirtazapine I complained of fatigue and malaise and generally feeling like crap. I attributed it all to the mirtazapine taper. However, this summer in July I got diagnosed with SIBO, Small Intestine Bacteria Overgrowth. I came to learn that one of the complications of SIBO is leaky gut syndrome, which long story short, allows toxins to pass through ones gut wall into your blood stream. As my one doc said, my gut was literally poisoning me. I had to have to 2 rounds of antibiotics to knock the SIBO back and then go on a specialized, and  very restrictive diet called a low FODMAP diet which cuts out many veggies and fruits that are high in sugar, especially fructose. I stopped all dairy, gluten and cut way back on carbs. My gut symptoms have eased a great deal and I have been feeling much better overall, not prefect but much better. Getting over SIBO and getting ones gut back in balance can take some time. Anyway I mention this as I had thought all my SXs were from getting off mirtazapine when in fact many of my sxs were due to my gut issue. After 20 months I am now completely off the mirtazapine and have been for a month now. Im done for good with that, no more psych meds in my system.  If you are having gut issues I thought I should share this with you. Best wishes

Pokey aka Paul

Jack- Im curious, how is your gut doing?. All through my taper off mirtazapine I complained of fatigue and malaise and generally feeling like crap. I attributed it all to the mirtazapine taper. However, this summer in July I got diagnosed with SIBO, Small Intestine Bacteria Overgrowth. I came to learn that one of the complications of SIBO is leaky gut syndrome, which long story short, allows toxins to pass through ones gut wall into your blood stream. As my one doc said, my gut was literally poisoning me. I had to have to 2 rounds of antibiotics to knock the SIBO back and then go on a specialized, and  very restrictive diet called a low FODMAP diet which cuts out many veggies and fruits that are high in sugar, especially fructose. I stopped all dairy, gluten and cut way back on carbs. My gut symptoms have eased a great deal and I have been feeling much better overall, not prefect but much better. Getting over SIBO and getting ones gut back in balance can take some time. Anyway I mention this as I had thought all my SXs were from getting off mirtazapine when in fact many of my sxs were due to my gut issue. After 20 months I am now completely off the mirtazapine and have been for a month now. Im done for good with that, no more psych meds in my system.  If you are having gut issues I thought I should share this with you. Best wishes

Pokey aka Paul

Great to hear from you Pokey. My gut is awful, lol. Always has been. I have had issues with sibo, ibs and histamine issues for years. Mirtazapine makes it worse because mirtazapine makes your gut flora worse and by promoting the growth of bad bacteria. This is why mirtazpine more than doubles your risk of catching c diff which I have already had twice while on this crap. I am doing a strict cleansing diet now which has helped me in the past and is helping me again now. I am glad to hear you made it off. I know you were struggling for a while there.

Happy new year to all of you.

If you followed me in recent times, you probably saw i had sxs related to Sibo, Candida and Leaky Gut. The most miserable side of this stuff, its power to gamble on Gut. I dony think it breaks the Gut flora in remarkable amounts, but once if one broke his/her Gut flora, than things would probably harder as it is mine. I was tapering in small amounts and taking only anxiety, you know. But after July, that is the start of my Vit C intake, i started to take Ulcer like pains, depression and digestion problems. Because, my artificial poisonous Vit C intake absolutely broke my system and caused me to feel histamine intolerance immensely. Both scientific and experimentally by me, a broken Gut lining causes leaky gut and broken gut flora also causes food intoletances. But, still there is a problem: To clear micobes/candida from the body. I think essential oils like olive and coconut oils are most ımportant things to fight with that without help of OTCs. But if you do that fast, you will probably experience a bacteria/candida Die Off reaction which will last days, weeks, months. So to prevent this, i started to do that with 1 teaspoon with meals. Probiotics are risky also if you think you have Sibo/candida. I took Bifido Infantis 35624(normally an agent enemy of histamine) and my sxs went through the roof. So it is a kind of gamble to take. I am on the side of cleaning the Gut with diet and these agents first. I am still suffering but i took too much way of healing. Taking water with meals is a big trigger for sibo/candida to dilute stomach acid. When it is diluted, undigested foods pass through the Gut and make it bacteriaful. If you have some leaky Gut, then BAM!. If you have dont it just have Sibo/Candida, the result will not be light again, the foods will have more volume and make you to have a reflux, pains, bloating etc. Thats what i complained for 2 or 3 months ago. After doing that Water diet, i havent had a remarkable reflux thankfully. But it is still healing. Broccoli is the biggest friend of mine which i coplain about the taste of it sometime. Pokey, if you think you have Sibo/Candida, and as if you have, please be cautious about the diet. It helps.

Lastly, i dont think little updoses or cuts are a matter of fact. I dont think the brain feels such tiny changes. All of the problems stem from the Gut flora and Gut lining. Thats my two cents after 3 long months. Dave, who is the mentor of mine on this way, taught great things for that. If i didnt know about HI thanks to him, i would updose necessarily steadily. Now, i cant taper, but i know all these shall too pass.

Take Care. Take your gut Care. It is the 1st brain for those in WD.

I have a question: in how much time can you becomme addict to the mirt? I m taking it for 2 weeks. Can I stop it straight away or do I have to do small reductions?

well, it seems that nobody answrs. I ve decided to cut my pill in 4 and take 3 quarters. I dont know what Im doing.

Sorry, there are only a few of us here in this group and we are not on everyday. We had a couple in our group complete their tapers and now it's just like three or four of us. Anyway, this is a question that has been asked before that no one has been able to answer. However, if I were in your shoes I would just stop. I would not taper a drug for two years that I was on for a couple of weeks. You may suffer from withdrawal but I would stop and try to tough it out. It's a LONG brutal taper and if you are not dependent on it yet you probably will be by continuing to take it while tapering. That is what I would do, but I can not advise you on what you should do.

well, it seems that nobody answrs. I ve decided to cut my pill in 4 and take 3 quarters. I dont know what Im doing.

Sorry, there are only a few of us here in this group and we are not on everyday. We had a couple in our group complete their tapers and now it's just like three or four of us. Anyway, this is a question that has been asked before that no one has been able to answer. However, if I were in your shoes I would just stop. I would not taper a drug for two years that I was on for a couple of weeks. You may suffer from withdrawal but I would stop and try to tough it out. It's a LONG brutal taper and if you are not dependent on it yet you probably will be by continuing to take it while tapering. That is what I would do, but I can not advise you on what you should do.

I agree 100% with Jack in that I also would not taper a drug for two years that I was on for a couple of weeks. If you had said you were on it for 2 months, that would maybe be a different story. But a couple of weeks, I personally would just stop taking it. When I was in the hospital for withdrawal, they put me on a host of other drugs (antipsychotics, antidepressants, anticonvulsants) that I was on for anywhere from 1 to 3 weeks. I stopped all of those with no taper.

Hang in there,

Dave

ok than your advice is not taking any mirt. But then I will have a lot of problems I think. And if I do a reduction by 50% a week? I m just asking. And you said thtat you had stopped a lot of things after 3 weeks using. Did you had problems with those or symptoms free?

ok than your advice is not taking any mirt. But then I will have a lot of problems I think. And if I do a reduction by 50% a week? I m just asking. And you said thtat you had stopped a lot of things after 3 weeks using. Did you had problems with those or symptoms free?

If you've only been on it for 2 weeks, your body has likely not had time to develop dependency on it, and therefore tapering by 50% per week would only prolong the amount of time the drug was in your system and would make it more likely that you would develop a dependency on it.

It is impossible for me to say if I was symptom free when I stopped those other drugs after 1-3 weeks of using them because I was in the middle of the worst of the worst of benzo withdrawal anyway and could feel nothing but hellfires scorching me no matter what. That said, I didn't notice things get any worse when I quit those other drugs.

So remember, what you are hearing from Jack and I are just opinions. If you want to taper, if you feel that stopping right now will cause problems, then you need to figure out how you will do that taper, how big each cut will be, how long you will hold each cut, and stick to it. But were it me, I'd stop the drug now.

Also noting here that despite every issue Remeron gave me in tapering it itself, it likely saved my life during benzo withdrawal because it allowed me to sleep and it allowed me to eat and it gave me some nervous system sedation. If I had to make the choice whether or not to use it all over again - if I were back in that hell of benzo withdrawal - I'd likely take it again.

Hang in there, do what is best for you.

Dave

If you've only been on it for 2 weeks, your body has likely not had time to develop dependency on it, and therefore tapering by 50% per week would only prolong the amount of time the drug was in your system and would make it more likely that you would develop a dependency on it.

It is impossible for me to say if I was symptom free when I stopped those other drugs after 1-3 weeks of using them because I was in the middle of the worst of the worst of benzo withdrawal anyway and could feel nothing but hellfires scorching me no matter what. That said, I didn't notice things get any worse when I quit those other drugs.

So remember, what you are hearing from Jack and I are just opinions. If you want to taper, if you feel that stopping right now will cause problems, then you need to figure out how you will do that taper, how big each cut will be, how long you will hold each cut, and stick to it. But were it me, I'd stop the drug now.

Also noting here that despite every issue Remeron gave me in tapering it itself, it likely saved my life during benzo withdrawal because it allowed me to sleep and it allowed me to eat and it gave me some nervous system sedation. If I had to make the choice whether or not to use it all over again - if I were back in that hell of benzo withdrawal - I'd likely take it again.

Hang in there, do what is best for you.

Dave

My experience was exactly the same. I was on and off some stuff in the hospital. I was actually on mirt for a week and then stopped and then Zoloft for a week and then stopped but I was in such a hell I am not sure I would have noticed if they amputated one of my limbs.

I d stop definitely if you dont have ant other WD history. I started this when i was in the thick of 3 drugs' CT hell. If only i havent, but i did. I tried to half it from 15 to 7,5 even if not CT at week 3. It was impossible to do that, so went back on 15. But as said, my condition was already though. Rem was one of the drugs that i quit previously. I could bear 3 drug, so one could easily bear 1 after 2 or 3 weeks. But as i said if you dont have drug or WD history.

I am trying to figure out what made the things worse again after having lowdepressive days in a row.

-A piece of plain waffle with some whole egg yesterday noon?

-A piece of bread with some butter yesterday night?

-A cup of DECAF coffee trial after 2 days in a row?

I have been already depressive no matter low or high for a term of 2 months and these times make it absolutely harder. Am i the only man in the world who is afffected from foods in spite of holds?😞

I am trying to figure out what made the things worse again after having lowdepressive days in a row.

-A piece of plain waffle with some whole egg yesterday noon?

-A piece of bread with some butter yesterday night?

-A cup of DECAF coffee trial after 2 days in a row?

I have been already depressive no matter low or high for a term of 2 months and these times make it absolutely harder. Am i the only man in the world who is afffected from foods in spite of holds?😞

Aw June, I’m so sorry you are struggling. So let’s look at what you ate.

- The waffle with some whole egg. Obviously the yokes of the egg can be problematic, my guess is the quantity was very little though. Noting that the waffle is refined carbohydrate, so could cause gut bacteria issues and/or more rapid blood sugar fluctuations.

- Bread with butter. Again a refined carbohydrate, so gut bacteria or blood sugar possibilities. Also, the butter can be problematic depending on storage and variety. Refrigerated “Sweet cream” butter is usually listed in most resources as being safe.

- Decaf coffee - compounds in coffee and lower DAO levels affecting histamine levels.

Those are the “potential” issues I see with those things that you ate over the last two days. Your symptoms could have to do with one of them, or all of them.

All of that said June, it could have nothing to do with food at all in this case. It could be any external stress you are dealing with. It could also be Mirtazapine side effects. It’s true. One of the hardest things about knowing when to make a cut or when to hold in your mirtazapine taper is being able to judge what is a side effect of having held too long, and what is a withdrawal effect. I am not necessarily suggesting you should make a cut right now, but just something to consider.

Not sure if any of this helps, but hopefully you’ll feel relief from the depression soon no matter what it’s cause.

Hang in there,

Dave

Yes, you are right Dave. But, i couldnt have had a chance to breathe since July. If i had, i would definitely rethink my plans. But, in this destablized condition, it is like a kind of crazy plan. After getting through dizziness, i would push it. But then this one started with no break. As Jack said the body is able to balance itself greatly. So should my brain adopt to a new no-depressive world even if i eat histamine things. I remember i was eating bananas every day even ripened ones and i wasnt reacting like that. At the end of the day, i am taking an antihistamine that is supposed to cut histamine reactions. Thankfully, things were going comparably well for the first days of 2021. But, there must be an end to this suffering which will prevent me to push.

Dont we say to everyone "hold if the things are lousy". I dont understand how i cant reach a point where i start to taper with a schedule? Everyone is holding and cutting however, i am suffering, cutting tiny and then suffering again.

I dont understand where i am doing the wrong things?😞

Hello so I have been taken Mirt 30mg for 15 days then lowed to 22.5 one night and then 2 nights at 15mg. total 18 days. Should I stop it now? And tonight Im gonna finish my switch from 1.5 mg Lormetazepam who didnt had an effect anymore to 15 mg Diazepam. I think the Diazepam is going to be able to make me sleep so maybe it would be better without the mirt. And I m going to use the mirt like sometimes to fast gain weight and sleep. I need to know because I m not sure I m doing