Remeron (Mirtazapine) Withdrawal Support Group

[no...]

[77...]

I have tapered down from 15mg to 8mg but i want to cold turkey the rest. I am in complete hell from benzo cold turkey 22 months ago with mental symtpoms so horrific.

Remeron just made everything worse. I have never beens stable. I feel like i am tapering for nothing.

Seems like those who cold turkey are doing better.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ja...]

• [Co...]

• [ja...]

• [no...]

Top Posters In This Topic

If i have a chance to say a word to you, I would say "DONT DO" Perth. Histamine Intolerance is a serious problem, but Histamine Reaction during Cold Turkey would make you feel miserable.We are also suffering, but dont think to cut even crumb.I found that Remeron does nothing for my recent Cold Turkeys.My other receptors healed already.So,i think the factor disturbing you may not be likely Remeron,yes it is also uncomfortable stuff,but the things you describe arent the result of Remeron.

Hey dudes. I learned there is also a WD like process for supplements. DIE OFF. Herxheimer Reaction. Worsening before Healing.  Such that, I have been experiencing very rough times supposing it is the harm that Ascorbic Acid gave. No, it is histamine again. I have used to have a bad gut flora for 3 months. Stability of suffering.lol. I have been having bumpy times, but i havent had GI issues even while on them. After leaving it, i started to take ulcer like pains,gastiris,reflux. I thought that Ascorbics have made a harm in my Gut and Stomach. I started to think i must destroy this issue and took olive oils, coconut oils and even bitter melon. But one thing i forgot the body isnt a machine which could accept the changes instantly. There would be a delay time. It can be said i have opened a door of detox of VitC! So, the body started to get adopt this process with some suffering. Good bacteria is fighting against bad bacteria. If you try to defeat bads with using heavy weapons, you would be hit possibly by bads as i do. Instead, using knife hits slowly would down it with low disturbance. I must have understood it by using bifidobacterium probiotic reaction following to Vit C! leaving.I am learning hard lessons while living. If you are a fan of supps., please be cautious about that:

.https://justthrivehealth.com/blogs/blog/what-is-die-off#:~:text=Die-off%2C%20also%20known%20as,good%20news%20is%20two-fold.

It is not WD. Because there is no addiction. But could be unpleasant as WD because of the shock of changing habitat in Gut. Who said that it was second brain. It is literally first. Now, i am doing a GI tract friendly diet in addition to Hist diet. I quit also bitter melon. Jack, thank you, i am doing a damn water diet on which as if a Dam spoils to my mouth everyday. lol. Please pray for me to get through this wave like shake.

[77...]

If i have a chance to say a word to you, I would say "DONT DO" Perth. Histamine Intolerance is a serious problem, but Histamine Reaction during Cold Turkey would make you feel miserable.We are also suffering, but dont think to cut even crumb.I found that Remeron does nothing for my recent Cold Turkeys.My other receptors healed already.So,i think the factor disturbing you may not be likely Remeron,yes it is also uncomfortable stuff,but the things you describe arent the result of Remeron.

Hey dudes. I learned there is also a WD like process for supplements. DIE OFF. Herxheimer Reaction. Worsening before Healing.  Such that, I have been experiencing very rough times supposing it is the harm that Ascorbic Acid gave. No, it is histamine again. I have used to have a bad gut flora for 3 months. Stability of suffering.lol. I have been having bumpy times, but i havent had GI issues even while on them. After leaving it, i started to take ulcer like pains,gastiris,reflux. I thought that Ascorbics have made a harm in my Gut and Stomach. I started to think i must destroy this issue and took olive oils, coconut oils and even bitter melon. But one thing i forgot the body isnt a machine which could accept the changes instantly. There would be a delay time. It can be said i have opened a door of detox of VitC! So, the body started to get adopt this process with some suffering. Good bacteria is fighting against bad bacteria. If you try to defeat bads with using heavy weapons, you would be hit possibly by bads as i do. Instead, using knife hits slowly would down it with low disturbance. I must have understood it by using bifidobacterium probiotic reaction following to Vit C! leaving.I am learning hard lessons while living. If you are a fan of supps., please be cautious about that:

.https://justthrivehealth.com/blogs/blog/what-is-die-off#:~:text=Die-off%2C%20also%20known%20as,good%20news%20is%20two-fold.

It is not WD. Because there is no addiction. But could be unpleasant as WD because of the shock of changing habitat in Gut. Who said that it was second brain. It is literally first. Now, i am doing a GI tract friendly diet in addition to Hist diet. I quit also bitter melon. Jack, thank you, i am doing a damn water diet on which as if a Dam spoils to my mouth everyday. lol. Please pray for me to get through this wave like shake.

I have actually spoken to quite a few people who reported they had similar experiences with remeron and that it did the opposite and made mental symtoms worse.

They said after a quick taper it was hell for a couple weeks but after they felt better than ever.

Everyone is different.

I have actually spoken to quite a few people who reported they had similar experiences with remeron and that it did the opposite and made mental symtoms worse.

They said after a quick taper it was hell for a couple weeks but after they felt better than ever.

Everyone is different.

You know Perth,i dont advocate neither Cold Turkey nor fast tapers. I have also seen bad experiences after Cold Turkeys which will make it very though for some months. Instead, i am eating healthy, staying still if needed as it is now,then tapering slowly.This possibly will prolong the process some but no need to gamble.I have also seen people going from 1.5 mgs to zero and suffer long time. Be happy this stuff doesnt have tolerance problem, pay attention to diet.This is my 2 cents.

Everyone is different.

This is true. I am not sure which decision I would make if I was suffering while on it. The side effects of being on mirt are very very tolerable for me so a prolonged taper is an obvious choice. When I was in hell on Xanax I opted for a fast taper and it was hell. Looking back though and knowing what I know now I would do it again. I still think it was the right choice. We are all different. Some people discontinue mirt with nothing happening at all. It's funny like that. Whatever you choose I hope it works out for you.

Hey Jack.

I have started to take out of blue some disequilibrum,light difficulty in standing and muscle weakness.May it be related to stomach/digestion problems which i have lastly.My stomach problems significantly decreased after applying Water fast.I dont know dizziness may be related to boosting water intake/electrolyte unbalance.Note that i am in the thick of Detox of Vit C! that i quit 3 weeks ago.If anyone englihtens me, i ll be happy to hear the cause.I think my body's and cell's toxic burden is decreasing,lowering the toxins but also giving a health crisis to me.I have uploaded my body with ascorbic acid for 3 months.

BTW, my DAO enzymes have come. But i dont want to try it now. TX

Hey Jack.

I have started to take out of blue some disequilibrum,light difficulty in standing and muscle weakness.May it be related to stomach/digestion problems which i have lastly.My stomach problems significantly decreased after applying Water fast.I dont know dizziness may be related to boosting water intake/electrolyte unbalance.Note that i am in the thick of Detox of Vit C! that i quit 3 weeks ago.If anyone englihtens me, i ll be happy to hear the cause.I think my body's and cell's toxic burden is decreasing,lowering the toxins but also giving a health crisis to me.I have uploaded my body with ascorbic acid for 3 months.

An electrolyte imbalance is certainly possible but I would say unlikely. The body is surprisingly good at balancing itself. I have been drinking huge amounts of water for years and every time I get blood work my electrolytes are always right where they are supposed to be. Unfortunately the only way to know is to have it checked. You could always starts adding a pinch of salt to each glass of water and up your consumption of potassium rich foods like potatoes, sweet potatoes and I would say bananas but bananas are a histamine liberator and I do not tolerate them at all but I do tolerate potatoes very well. Also potatoes are a great natural source of vitamin C without the side effects of the supplemental versions. I will say that throughout this process I have had the symptoms you describe and had blood work done and everything came back normal. Atrial Fibrillation would be something to check into. It is fairly common when withdrawing from these drugs and the symptoms you are describing fit. You would have to get an ekg and probably wear a heart monitor for a few days to a few weeks. How is your resting heart rate and blood pressure?

Hey Jack.

An electrolyte imbalance is certainly possible but I would say unlikely. The body is surprisingly good at balancing itself. I have been drinking huge amounts of water for years and every time I get blood work my electrolytes are always right where they are supposed to be. Unfortunately the only way to know is to have it checked. You could always starts adding a pinch of salt to each glass of water and up your consumption of potassium rich foods like potatoes, sweet potatoes and I would say bananas but bananas are a histamine liberator and I do not tolerate them at all but I do tolerate potatoes very well. Also potatoes are a great natural source of vitamin C without the side effects of the supplemental versions. I will say that throughout this process I have had the symptoms you describe and had blood work done and everything came back normal. Atrial Fibrillation would be something to check into. It is fairly common when withdrawing from these drugs and the symptoms you are describing fit. You would have to get an ekg and probably where a heart monitor for a few days to a few weeks. How is your resting heart rate and blood pressure?

Heart rate is normal, no racing heart, i dont know tension. But, i should get it tested. My all tissues are being cleared from this poison. And it is shaking me immensely. Pray for me to get through this.Do you remember the longest dizziness term you had?

Hi Jack,

I took my blood results from the hospital.My blood levels all are within limits except monosit, lenphosit. I asked that to 2 doc and they said it isnt important. Verified that i just may have been affected due to some food poisoning.That means my throid, liver and other functions are normal,huh?Note that the test doesnt give histamine results only, it could even give IgE.

I am happy to see that these are good. Just wondering how i am interestingly suffering some GI issues, balance problems and anxiety. I think Die-Off syndrome due to broken gut flora is underestimated. I am waiting to stabilize some, if not i am thinking to updose slightly like 0.3 mg. Because the cut gives us dizziness, anxiety, nausea etc, that means it could give a rest for reverse side(updosing). Am i wrong?

BTW,i have just started to take Dao enzymes to stop crazy sxs coming from histamine foods at least.

While coping strange sxs, Corona and other life challanges, a big eartquake shaking primarily Turkey, then Greek islands shocked us. Approximately 1 minute and 7 points with Richter. It basicly hit the city where we are just some miless far away from the source. We said we are about to reach the end during it. People are saying it is such bad, such terrible etc.And my inner voice said that what is this earthquake near our shaking. lol.

While coping strange sxs, Corona and other life challanges, a big eartquake shaking primarily Turkey, then Greek islands shocked us. Approximately 1 minute and 7 points with Richter. It basicly hit the city where we are just some miless far away from the source. We said we are about to reach the end during it. People are saying it is such bad, such terrible etc.And my inner voice said that what is this earthquake near our shaking. lol.

June, I saw the news about that earthquake in Turkey and thought immediately of you. I am glad you are alright. There are the withdrawal muscle tremors, but having the whole earth tremor is crazy!

Anyway, glad you are safe and sound. Hang in there with the healing. You're doing a good job pursuing better health for yourself.

Dave

Thanks for your interest Dave.It absolutely hit the 3rd biggest city of Turkey, Izmir. For now with 40-50 lifeloss. To me little for this severity.Scientific sources are saying it is like 7 not 6.6. It was like a fragment of hell.I have seen too many earthquakes even with severe ones.But this one was so different,me and my workfriends felt that we were passing away this time.Kinda earhquakes in Japan as if with tsunami.My wife said that we mustnt have enter to the flat at 7th floor and i replied even i am only one person who enters to the flat in this city,i would do and i did.Because my balance problem was too much and standing was a real challange.Thats why we should be away from stress if possible.I am praying for WDers who mustnt have trafic accidents,earthquakes,serious health problems etc.You could see the severity from there:

https://www.internethaber.com/izmirde-depremin-siddetini-gosteren-goruntuler-sanki-kiyamet-kopuyordu-video-galerisi-2137750.htm

Hello everyone, I guess I belong here now. I originally jumped from Ativan on July 10th and was put on remeron to help with sleep and appetite, which it did both well for 3 months until I started tapering.

Here is what happened the last 4 months.

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=247876.0

I didn't actually realize remeron had potential bad withdrawals until just yesterday when I found this group. When my doc put me on it after the ativan jump I was so sick of researching medicine so I just took the medicine they gave me (celexa, remeron, seroquel) and just started to try and heal from the ativan.

So I stopped the remeron on 10/8, things got highly volatile and then when i couldn't take it anymore on 10/20 I started back up the remeron at night along with seroquel and also seroquel during the day because my anxiety is so high. I then stopped the remeron and seroquel again on 10/30 because it was not working and I was completely losing it. About to check into the local psychiatric unit. I spoke with my med doc and she gave told me to try trazodone again so I did that on the 30th and then on the 31st she had me start hydroxyzine which was new to me and seems to be helping the anxiety. I am taking the hydroxyzine 3 times a day, 3 days now.

Any input would help. I can't believe I'm back here. I wasn't even aware of the issues that remeron were going to cause. I do believe it helped me out very much in the 3 months post ativan jump. I was just feeling better a bit and wanted to keep making progress so thought remeron would be a quick easy taper.

Hello everyone, I guess I belong here now. I originally jumped from Ativan on July 10th and was put on remeron to help with sleep and appetite, which it did both well for 3 months until I started tapering.

I didn't actually realize remeron had potential bad withdrawals until just yesterday when I found this group. When my doc put me on it after the ativan jump I was so sick of researching medicine so I just took the medicine they gave me (celexa, remeron, seroquel) and just started to try and heal from the ativan.

So I stopped the remeron on 10/8, things got highly volatile and then when i couldn't take it anymore on 10/20 I started back up the remeron at night along with seroquel and also seroquel during the day because my anxiety is so high. I then stopped the remeron and seroquel again on 10/30 because it was not working and I was completely losing it. About to check into the local psychiatric unit. I spoke with my med doc and she gave told me to try trazodone again so I did that on the 30th and then on the 31st she had me start hydroxyzine which was new to me and seems to be helping the anxiety. I am taking the hydroxyzine 3 times a day, 3 days now.

Any input would help. I can't believe I'm back here. I wasn't even aware of the issues that remeron were going to cause. I do believe it helped me out very much in the 3 months post ativan jump. I was just feeling better a bit and wanted to keep making progress so thought remeron would be a quick easy taper.

Hi April,

So, there is a lot going on in your story. I just want to make sure I understand. You are currently on a little bit of Ativan according to your signature and you are also taking Seroquel and Hydroxyzine? is that correct?

Hi April,

So, there is a lot going on in your story. I just want to make sure I understand. You are currently on a little bit of Ativan according to your signature and you are also taking Seroquel and Hydroxyzine? is that correct?

Thank you for the response, Jack. I need to update my signature as its not correct. I stopped Ativan completely on July 10th. Right now I'm on 25mgx2 Hydroxyzine during the day (for the last 2 days) and I tried Trazodone again for Friday and Saturday night 100mg but it made me so sad/hopeless feeling during the day so I didn't take it last night and didn't end up sleeping at all. Trying to figure out what to do for tonight since I didn't sleep last night. Keep pushing through with no meds at bedtime? Try a seroquel again? Yet again restart remeron?

Hi April,

Thank you for the response, Jack. I need to update my signature as its not correct. I stopped Ativan completely on July 10th. Right now I'm on 25mgx2 Hydroxyzine during the day (for the last 2 days) and I tried Trazodone again for Friday and Saturday night 100mg but it made me so sad/hopeless feeling during the day so I didn't take it last night and didn't end up sleeping at all. Trying to figure out what to do for tonight since I didn't sleep last night. Keep pushing through with no meds at bedtime? Try a seroquel again? Yet again restart remeron?

Okay. I can give you my opinion on this. I would not restart Remeron. You have not been off you benzo for that long. It is generally six months to a couple of years before benzo withdrawal really dissipates for the majority here. I think the hydroxyzine would help you a lot at bedtime. It is an antihistamine and uses the same pathways as Remeron for sleep except that Remeron also raises melatonin levels where as hydroxyzine does not. I would try melatonin. I have used it many times in the past and am using it now as I hit 2 mg in my Remeron taper it stopped putting me to sleep so I added melatonin and it works great. I have to take 5 mg as the lower doses make me groggy but do not help me sleep. The first week I felt awful everyday after taking it but I adjusted quickly and am sleeping great lately. I have started and stopped Melatonin many times without any issues at all. I would not start seroquel again. Basically, I am asking if you have tried taking Hydroxyzine at night with melatonin. Maybe skip one of your day doses. It may make sense to push through during the day instead of pushing through at night. You anxiety will be naturally lowered during the day if you get better sleep at night, so medicating during the day and suffering at night might just be the opposite of what you should be doing. Also, keep in mind that all antihistamines have some sort of withdrawal syndrome. Even benadryl has a withdrawal syndrome when taken long term. It is not as severe as Remeron withdrawal but even Hydroxyzine will throw things off. I am not saying not to use it. I went through a SEVERE benzo withdrawal myself and know that getting through it without help is next to impossible. However, the information makes it easier for us to plan our route back to normal.

Okay. I can give you my opinion on this. I would not restart Remeron. You have not been off you benzo for that long. It is generally six months to a couple of years before benzo withdrawal really dissipates for the majority here. I think the hydroxyzine would help you a lot at bedtime. It is an antihistamine and uses the same pathways as Remeron for sleep except that Remeron also raises melatonin levels where as hydroxyzine does not. I would try melatonin. I have used it many times in the past and am using it now as I hit 2 mg in my Remeron taper it stopped putting me to sleep so I added melatonin and it works great. I have to take 5 mg as the lower doses make me groggy but do not help me sleep. The first week I felt awful everyday after taking it but I adjusted quickly and am sleeping great lately. I have started and stopped Melatonin many times without any issues at all. I would not start seroquel again. Basically, I am asking if you have tried taking Hydroxyzine at night with melatonin. Maybe skip one of your day doses. It may make sense to push through during the day instead of pushing through at night. You anxiety will be naturally lowered during the day if you get better sleep at night, so medicating during the day and suffering at night might just be the opposite of what you should be doing. Also, keep in mind that all antihistamines have some sort of withdrawal syndrome. Even benadryl has a withdrawal syndrome when taken long term. It is not as severe as Remeron withdrawal but even Hydroxyzine will throw things off. I am not saying not to use it. I went through a SEVERE benzo withdrawal myself and know that getting through it without help is next to impossible. However, the information makes it easier for us to plan our route back to normal.

Jack, thank you so much for the thorough response. So last night I took your advice and fell right to sleep! 25mg Hydroxzyine plus a 3mg or dissolving tablet melontin that my wife just picked up at walgreens. However I woke up at 4:30 (which was a good solid 5 hours) and was totally wired. Pretty decent restless legs had me doing walking lunges around the kitchen. Is this normal? I'm nowstarting to sit on BB and read all of the insomnia posts. I took a 4 month break from this place because it was becoming to much. Now I am right back in it. This is a horrible disease. I thought I was out of it but had no idea that remeron was continuing to train my body not to sleep on its own.

Jack, thank you so much for the thorough response. So last night I took your advice and fell right to sleep! 25mg Hydroxzyine plus a 3mg or dissolving tablet melatonin that my wife just picked up at walgreens. However I woke up at 4:30 (which was a good solid 5 hours) and was totally wired. Pretty decent restless legs had me doing walking lunges around the kitchen. Is this normal? I'm nowstarting to sit on BB and read all of the insomnia posts. I took a 4 month break from this place because it was becoming to much. Now I am right back in it. This is a horrible disease. I thought I was out of it but had no idea that remeron was continuing to train my body not to sleep on its own.

Just FYI I had restless legs in benzo withdrawal before I ever even knew what Remeron was. It might not be the Remeron withdrawal. But it is hard to say. DO NOT go down the forum rabbit hole. I know you already know that but I am just reminding you. You are better off living and writing your own story than reading and fearing someone else's. 5 hours isn't bad. Remember you can go up to 5 mg on the melatonin. If I take less than that I don't get 8 hours. If I do then I do get at least 8 but there is a hangover effect. You get used to it. It is better than not sleeping for sure and you do adjust over time. You jumped in June. It has only been a few months and I was not doing well at the point you are at and I did not start and stop a bunch of other drugs the way you did so it may take a little longer for you. There is no magic pill for withdrawal, you just have to go through it. Remeron helped me sleep and eat but it did not stop the benzo induced anxiety or benzo withdrawal symptoms. That is my experience. Even while on the Remeron I was in the ER on and off for the first year because my symptoms were so bad. I was even held for observation in cardiology once because my symptoms were so severe. I was barely able to stand up. That was at about 4 months off, right about where you are. I am one year and 10 months off and am in a much different place now. This Remeron taper is kicking my ass but most of my benzo symptoms are gone. I gained back all of my muscle and strength, rarely if ever have panic attacks and if I do they last seconds instead of hours. You are going to feel rough for a while. Right now is about surviving. Comfort will come with time.

Jack,

Do you think the other sxs add anxiety much more?

I was having a GI Die Off reaction to Vit C and Ulcer like pains, Gastritis and Reflux made it through the roof.Thankfull i could get them under control and felt safe then.I am thinking to do a Ulcer/Reflux diet until new year. I dont want to risk it.

I tried bitter melon you know.I dont know it is related to this, but during and after trying it i started to take hardship in standing. I could walk like a crazy in the every phase of WD. But now after reaching 1 miles, or sometime half mile, it would be a problem and it makes me anxious. I have been having it for 10 days. I am also holding again.Normally, i hadnt been depressive in spite of histamine rich eating during holds before this rush.So,thats also a reason to hold.Sometimes stabilizing comes like an utopia in such times.

I wonder your opinion about that.

Hi April10th!

I have read your story and I’m just so sorry you’re going through this. I had to cold turkey an SSRI after 6 years in July. In the meantime dealing with those withdrawals, I became dependent on .375mg ativan for the last 3 months.

I tried to skip a dose and had zero sleep that same night. I then tried one dose of a water dose to see how I would react and did not do well with it.

My doctor keeps mentioning starting Remeron to help so I landed on this and now I’m thinking that’s a big no? And that I should just SLOWLY taper the Ativan?

I guess I want your advice because I’ve went down the rabbit hole on here like you did and I’m completely spooked.

If you could go back to tapering Ativan, would you have gone slower or done anything differently? I have an opportunity to get a liquid compound which would take the anxiety and stress out of weighing or mixing it myself (I get high anxiety thinking about the taper and doing it, honestly)

I’m trying to be smart since I’m still in SSRI cold turkey withdrawal but I do think Ativan is making it worse.

Thank you so much!

Hi buddies. I would like to ask a specific que to especially Dave and Jack.

It is not time for me to ask that -because i feel bumpy still- but i found out my liquid Mirt contains Maltitol as sweetener. I know sweeteners are risky for histamine intolerance, i just wanted to ask that. It is derived of Malt and we know it is risky. Its E number is E 965, i couldnt see it in the list. If you have some information, please share it with me and then i may think it to transfer to dry cut or compounding.

It is not time for me to ask that -because i feel bumpy still- but i found out my liquid Mirt contains Maltitol as sweetener. I know sweeteners are risky for histamine intolerance, i just wanted to ask that. It is derived of Malt and we know it is risky. Its E number is E 965, i couldnt see it in the list. If you have some information, please share it with me and then i may think it to transfer to dry cut or compounding.

I have always had issues with histamine. Or at least I have since high school when I had an allergic reaction to an antibiotic. Since then I always react negatively to any kind of translucent liquid meds. My Remeron solution is no different. The more I taper the less solution I am putting down each night the side effects lessen. However for me the accuracy of professional compounding is more important to me than avoiding the suspension they use to mix it.

I have always had issues with histamine. Or at least I have since high school when I had an allergic reaction to an antibiotic. Since then I always react negatively to any kind of translucent liquid meds. My Remeron solution is no different. The more I taper the less solution I am putting down each night the side effects lessen. However for me the accuracy of professional compounding is more important to me than avoiding the suspension they use to mix it.

I agree w/ this 100%. And remember the "histamine bucket" theory, June. Even if the maltitol and E 965 are histamine-triggers, the quantity is fairly negligible if you are keeping your bucket on the empty-side via diet modification.

Dave

Has anybody made their own liquid mirtazapine with water or alcohol? Is it soluble in anything? I'm not sure my psychiatrist would be willing to prescribe liquid mirt (long story), so I'm hoping I can make my own. Thanks.

Hey Jack.

Do you remember the times you had dizziness?Were there other sxs it brought?I think all they attack on me together.I read some articles and stomach problems also may be linked to this.Most challanging ones are anxiety,headaches,depression,some light stomach/gut pains.I know i am in the thick of histamine problems, but i also want to how that goes as side effect. I am on 3rd week with no-stop and i suppose i ll have period of 1 month as you said as if.Of course SeaBands are great such that one could feel the effect once it is seperated from the wrist.But the root cause is still there, other auxiliary sxs are there. I keep holding until it settles.Because where the standing does challenge, it is too hard to think tapering.Thats my 2 cents.