Author Topic: Remeron (Mirtazapine) Withdrawal Support Group  (Read 189938 times)

[Buddie]

Re: Remeron (Mirtazapine) Withdrawal Support Group
« Reply #2760 on: October 31, 2020, 07:06:59 pm »
While coping strange sxs, Corona and other life challanges, a big eartquake shaking primarily Turkey, then [...] islands shocked us. Approximately 1 minute and 7 points with Richter. It basicly hit the city where we are just some miless far away from the source. We said we are about to reach the end during it. People are saying it is such bad, such terrible etc.And my inner voice said that what is this earthquake near our shaking. lol.

[...], I saw the news about that earthquake in Turkey and thought immediately of you. I am glad you are alright. There are the withdrawal muscle tremors, but having the whole earth tremor is[...]!
Anyway, glad you are safe and sound. Hang in there with the healing. You're doing a good job pursuing better health for yourself.

[...]
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #2761 on: October 31, 2020, 08:04:42 pm »
Thanks for your interest [...].It absolutely hit the 3rd biggest city of Turkey, Izmir. For now with 40-50 lifeloss. To me little for this severity.Scientific sources are saying it is like 7 not 6.6. It was like a fragment of hell.I have seen too many earthquakes even with severe ones.But this one was so different,me and my workfriends felt that we were passing away this time.Kinda earhquakes in Japan as if with tsunami.My wife said that we mustnt have enter to the flat at 7th floor and i replied even i am only one person who enters to the flat in this city,i would do and i did.Because my balance problem was too much and standing was a real challange.Thats why we should be away from stress if possible.I am praying for WDers who mustnt have trafic accidents,earthquakes,serious health problems etc.You could see the severity from there:

https://www.internethaber.com/izmirde-depremin-siddetini-gosteren-goruntuler-sanki-kiyamet-kopuyordu-video-galerisi-2137750.htm
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #2762 on: November 02, 2020, 01:18:19 pm »
Hello everyone, I guess I belong here now. I originally jumped from Ativan on July 10th and was put on remeron to help with sleep and appetite, which it did both well for 3 months until I started tapering.

Here is what happened the last 4 months.
http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=247876.0

I didn't actually realize remeron had potential bad withdrawals until just yesterday when I found this group. When my doc put me on it after the ativan jump I was so sick of researching medicine so I just took the medicine they gave me (celexa, remeron, seroquel) and just started to [...] and heal from the ativan.

So I stopped the remeron on 10/8, things got highly volatile and then when i couldn't take it anymore on 10/20 I started back up the remeron at night along with seroquel and also seroquel during the day because my anxiety is so high. I then stopped the remeron and seroquel again on 10/30 because it was not working and I was completely losing it. About to check into the local psychiatric unit. I spoke with my med doc and she gave told me to [...] trazodone again so I did that on the 30th and then on the 31st she had me start hydroxyzine which was new to me and seems to be helping the anxiety. I am taking the hydroxyzine 3 times a day, 3 days now.

Any input would help. I can't believe I'm back here. I wasn't even aware of the issues that remeron were going to cause. I do believe it helped me out very much in the 3 months post ativan jump. I was just feeling better a bit and wanted to keep making progress so thought remeron would be a quick easy taper.

[Buddie]

« Reply #2763 on: November 02, 2020, 01:48:45 pm »
Hello everyone, I guess I belong here now. I originally jumped from Ativan on July 10th and was put on remeron to help with sleep and appetite, which it did both well for 3 months until I started tapering.

I didn't actually realize remeron had potential bad withdrawals until just yesterday when I found this group. When my doc put me on it after the ativan jump I was so sick of researching medicine so I just took the medicine they gave me (celexa, remeron, seroquel) and just started to [...] and heal from the ativan.

So I stopped the remeron on 10/8, things got highly volatile and then when i couldn't take it anymore on 10/20 I started back up the remeron at night along with seroquel and also seroquel during the day because my anxiety is so high. I then stopped the remeron and seroquel again on 10/30 because it was not working and I was completely losing it. About to check into the local psychiatric unit. I spoke with my med doc and she gave told me to [...] trazodone again so I did that on the 30th and then on the 31st she had me start hydroxyzine which was new to me and seems to be helping the anxiety. I am taking the hydroxyzine 3 times a day, 3 days now.

Any input would help. I can't believe I'm back here. I wasn't even aware of the issues that remeron were going to cause. I do believe it helped me out very much in the 3 months post ativan jump. I was just feeling better a bit and wanted to keep making progress so thought remeron would be a quick easy taper.

Hi April,
           So, there is a lot going on in your story. I just want to make sure I understand. You are currently on a little bit of Ativan according to your signature and you are also taking Seroquel and Hydroxyzine? is that correct?

[Buddie]

« Reply #2764 on: November 02, 2020, 04:21:09 pm »

Hi April,
           So, there is a lot going on in your story. I just want to make sure I understand. You are currently on a little bit of Ativan according to your signature and you are also taking Seroquel and Hydroxyzine? is that correct?

Thank you for the response, Jack. I need to update my signature as its not correct. I stopped Ativan completely on July 10th. Right now I'm on 25mgx2 Hydroxyzine during the day (for the last 2 days) and I tried Trazodone again for Friday and Saturday night 100mg but it made me so sad/hopeless feeling during the day so I didn't take it last night and didn't end up sleeping at all. Trying to figure out what to do for tonight since I didn't sleep last night. Keep pushing through with no meds at bedtime? [...] a seroquel again? Yet again restart remeron?

[Buddie]

« Reply #2765 on: November 02, 2020, 05:33:25 pm »

Hi April,

Thank you for the response, Jack. I need to update my signature as its not correct. I stopped Ativan completely on July 10th. Right now I'm on 25mgx2 Hydroxyzine during the day (for the last 2 days) and I tried Trazodone again for Friday and Saturday night 100mg but it made me so sad/hopeless feeling during the day so I didn't take it last night and didn't end up sleeping at all. Trying to figure out what to do for tonight since I didn't sleep last night. Keep pushing through with no meds at bedtime? [...] a seroquel again? Yet again restart remeron?

Okay. I can give you my opinion on this. I would not restart Remeron. You have not been off you benzo for that long. It is generally six months to a couple of years before benzo withdrawal really dissipates for the majority here. I think the hydroxyzine would help you a lot at bedtime. It is an antihistamine and uses the same pathways as Remeron for sleep except that Remeron also raises melatonin levels where as hydroxyzine does not. I would [...] melatonin. I have used it many times in the past and am using it now as I hit 2 mg in my Remeron taper it stopped putting me to sleep so I added melatonin and it works great. I have to take 5 mg as the lower doses make me groggy but do not help me sleep. The first week I felt awful everyday after taking it but I adjusted quickly and am sleeping great lately. I have started and stopped Melatonin many times without any issues at all. I would not start seroquel again. Basically, I am asking if you have tried taking Hydroxyzine at night with melatonin. Maybe skip one of your day doses. It may make sense to push through during the day instead of pushing through at night. You anxiety will be naturally lowered during the day if you get better sleep at night, so medicating during the day and suffering at night might just be the opposite of what you should be doing. Also, keep in mind that all antihistamines have some sort of withdrawal syndrome. Even benadryl has a withdrawal syndrome when taken long term. It is not as severe as Remeron withdrawal but even Hydroxyzine will throw things off. I am not saying not to use it. I went through a SEVERE benzo withdrawal myself and know that getting through it without help is next to impossible. However, the information makes it easier for us to plan our route back to normal.

[Buddie]

« Reply #2766 on: November 03, 2020, 12:42:46 pm »
Okay. I can give you my opinion on this. I would not restart Remeron. You have not been off you benzo for that long. It is generally six months to a couple of years before benzo withdrawal really dissipates for the majority here. I think the hydroxyzine would help you a lot at bedtime. It is an antihistamine and uses the same pathways as Remeron for sleep except that Remeron also raises melatonin levels where as hydroxyzine does not. I would [...] melatonin. I have used it many times in the past and am using it now as I hit 2 mg in my Remeron taper it stopped putting me to sleep so I added melatonin and it works great. I have to take 5 mg as the lower doses make me groggy but do not help me sleep. The first week I felt awful everyday after taking it but I adjusted quickly and am sleeping great lately. I have started and stopped Melatonin many times without any issues at all. I would not start seroquel again. Basically, I am asking if you have tried taking Hydroxyzine at night with melatonin. Maybe skip one of your day doses. It may make sense to push through during the day instead of pushing through at night. You anxiety will be naturally lowered during the day if you get better sleep at night, so medicating during the day and suffering at night might just be the opposite of what you should be doing. Also, keep in mind that all antihistamines have some sort of withdrawal syndrome. Even benadryl has a withdrawal syndrome when taken long term. It is not as severe as Remeron withdrawal but even Hydroxyzine will throw things off. I am not saying not to use it. I went through a SEVERE benzo withdrawal myself and know that getting through it without help is next to impossible. However, the information makes it easier for us to plan our route back to normal.

Jack, thank you so much for the thorough response. So last night I took your advice and fell right to sleep! 25mg Hydroxzyine plus a 3mg or dissolving tablet melontin that my wife just picked up at walgreens. However I woke up at 4:30 (which was a good solid 5 hours) and was totally wired. Pretty decent restless legs had me doing walking lunges around the kitchen. Is this normal? I'm nowstarting to sit on [...] and read all of the insomnia posts. I took a 4 month break from this place because it was becoming to much. Now I am right back in it. This is a horrible disease. I thought I was out of it but had no idea that remeron was continuing to train my body not to sleep on its own.

[Buddie]

« Reply #2767 on: November 03, 2020, 01:48:58 pm »

Jack, thank you so much for the thorough response. So last night I took your advice and fell right to sleep! 25mg Hydroxzyine plus a 3mg or dissolving tablet melatonin that my wife just picked up at walgreens. However I woke up at 4:30 (which was a good solid 5 hours) and was totally wired. Pretty decent restless legs had me doing walking lunges around the kitchen. Is this normal? I'm nowstarting to sit on [...] and read all of the insomnia posts. I took a 4 month break from this place because it was becoming to much. Now I am right back in it. This is a horrible disease. I thought I was out of it but had no idea that remeron was continuing to train my body not to sleep on its own.

Just FYI I had restless legs in benzo withdrawal before I ever even knew what Remeron was. It might not be the Remeron withdrawal. But it is hard to say. DO NOT go down the forum rabbit hole. I know you already know that but I am just reminding you. You are better off living and writing your own story than reading and fearing someone else's. 5 hours isn't bad. Remember you can go up to 5 mg on the melatonin. If I take less than that I don't get 8 hours. If I do then I do get at least 8 but there is a hangover effect. You get used to it. It is better than not sleeping for sure and you do adjust over time. You jumped in [...]. It has only been a few months and I was not doing well at the point you are at and I did not start and stop a bunch of other drugs the way you did so it may take a little longer for you. There is no magic pill for withdrawal, you just have to go through it. Remeron helped me sleep and eat but it did not stop the benzo induced anxiety or benzo withdrawal symptoms. That is my experience. Even while on the Remeron I was in the ER on and off for the first year because my symptoms were so bad. I was even held for observation in cardiology once because my symptoms were so severe. I was barely able to stand up. That was at about 4 months off, right about where you are. I am one year and 10 months off and am in a much different place now. This Remeron taper is kicking my ass but most of my benzo symptoms are gone. I gained back all of my muscle and strength, rarely if ever have panic attacks and if I do they last seconds instead of hours. You are going to feel rough for a while. Right now is about surviving. Comfort will come with time.

[Buddie]

« Reply #2768 on: November 03, 2020, 02:54:16 pm »
Jack,
Do you think the other sxs add anxiety much more?
I was having a GI Die Off reaction to Vit C and Ulcer like pains, Gastritis and Reflux made it through the roof.Thankfull i could get them under control and felt safe then.I am thinking to do a Ulcer/Reflux diet until new year. I dont want to risk it.
I tried bitter melon you know.I dont know it is related to this, but during and after trying it i started to take hardship in standing. I could walk like a[...] in the every phase of WD. But now after reaching 1 miles, or sometime half mile, it would be a problem and it makes me anxious. I have been having it for 10 days. I am also holding again.Normally, i hadnt been depressive in spite of histamine rich eating during holds before this rush.So,thats also a reason to hold.Sometimes stabilizing comes like an utopia in such times.
I wonder your opinion about that.

[Buddie]

« Reply #2769 on: November 06, 2020, 01:19:44 pm »

Hi [...]!

I have read your story and Iím just so sorry youíre going through this. I had to cold turkey an SSRI after 6 years in July. In the meantime dealing with those withdrawals, I became dependent on .375mg ativan for the last 3 months.

I tried to skip a dose and had zero sleep that same night. I then tried one dose of a water dose to see how I would react and did not do well with it.

My doctor keeps mentioning starting Remeron to help so I landed on this and now Iím thinking thatís a big no? And that I should just SLOWLY taper the Ativan?

I guess I want your advice because Iíve went down the rabbit hole on here like you did and Iím completely spooked.

If you could go back to tapering Ativan, would you have gone slower or done anything differently? I have an opportunity to get a liquid compound which would take the anxiety and stress out of weighing or mixing it myself (I get high anxiety thinking about the taper and doing it, honestly)

Iím trying to be smart since Iím still in SSRI cold turkey withdrawal but I do think Ativan is making it worse.

Thank you so much!