Need to taper off of .50 mg of Klonopin

[hi...]

Hello all, I am a 6o year old man from Baltimore, MD, Charm City as we call it here, hons...lol.

I have been taking Klonopin 1mg for 3 years prescribed by my doc for panic attacks. I also took Prozac, but have been weened off of that.

Now I am down to .50 mg of Klonopin. It is time for me to come off of the Klonopin, but I need some good advise on how to do that....tapering schedule would be great.

I am NOT willing to taper using another benzo....as some have suggested.

I am NOT on any other meds except my daily vitamin and cholesterol med. Your help is valued.

Confused and scared about the taper!!! :-\

Hi Hitman60,

Welcome to BenzoBuddies! Couple questions, do you have .50 size pills, and how have you gotten down to .50 so far and how did you feel? The general taper amount is 10% over 7 to 14 days. You can reduce your .50 pill into quarters (.125) and reduce by that. If it is too uncomfortable, you can do titration by mixing your .50 pill into a liquid form and reduce by very small amounts daily or the other alternative is to do a crossover to valium. Let us know which taper plan will suit you. Take care!

T2  :smitten:

I did it by crossing over to Valium back in September. I have come off with minimal pain. The advantage is being able to taper far smaller percentages. However, since you have stated you will nor consider it, I'm sure we will be able to work up a schedule for you directly from Klonopin. Colin is the only one who has the spreadsheet at the moment. Hopefully he will be along soon.

Nice meeting you.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Tony

Hi Hitman,

Welcome to BenzoBuddies.

I see that you are being taken of on the Titration board. As suggested, obtain those 0.5mg pills. ;)

If you do wish to titrate, work out the details of your requirements with some of the others, and I will then draw up a schedule for you.

Take care.

Thanks for replying. I will pick up my .50 mg  pill on Wednesday, and will start the taper on Thursday. I think May 1st is an appropriate day to start and that gives me a few days for the doc to get back to me and adjust my prescription. Looking forward to your taper schedule Colin.

Hitman60 :thumbsup:

This is not a huge dose, so I am hoping I don't freak out. Bought lots of positive books about poz self talk etc

Hitman60,

Have you decided to use titration or try proceeding with dry cutting? If you need a schedule, Colin will need to know if you want a 10% reduction over two weeks and you will need to acquire a 100ml cylinder and a syringe marked with ml is helpful to reduce the liquid mixture. Please let us know how you want to proceed.

Thanks.

T2