Neurologist says he's never heard of such symptoms?

[kl...]

I'm in my 50s, have worked steady since graduating from college, and then developed severe vertigo. Could not stand, much less work. Ran from doctor to doctor for six months until this got sorted out. At one point was prescribed Ativan *on top* of Klonopin because it was said to be more "nausea specific". You cannot imagine how angry I got from all the BS and idiotic diagnoses. Virus, migraine associated vertigo, MRI for MS, etc. etc. And the entire time this was starting them in the face.

And you know what, they will never know they were wrong unless I contact them and tell them. Because I kept doc-hopping until the one cool Pdoc figured it out, so as far as they are concerned, this dude with vertigo showed up one day and never came back.

So maybe we should send letters to the bad docs and simply tell them what happened - to raise awareness, not punish.

M

I send  to my doctor nasty letter , very nasty , and to minister of health , and paper to everybody . I am sick of this  ,,,,,,there is not w/d from benzo , iam sick of their  stupidity.

I  lost  trust for doctors , period . Sad .  I did ,  I a have more knowledge then my exidiot doctor . Is crime what they do to people and how many people died , because of doctors .

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [...]

• [...]

• [Pu...]

• [Bi...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi  friends

I was 16 times in ER and all doctors know about withdrawal from benzo . i was so sick , half dead , but they dont; give me any drug . Thanks God .  Every one from  ER  doctors told me is benzo w/d and need time to get better  and be very strong .

Only my family idiot , who know only difference between flu and cold , of course ,,,dont;;; know  abot benzo ??? I dont' believe  that . He was telling me I have to stay for res of my life .

My friend a nurse in Psycho world told me , they know about benzo and call  people on benzo  ,,,,LIFE SENTENCE OR DEAD SENTENCE , because  is almost impossible get off . And most people  will die with benzo on lip .

I dont' believe  , he dont' know about benzo .

ER doctors all know eeverything about benzo . :smitten:

Yeah, it seems they have been asleep for the last 20-30 years or so, because how could they not know about benzo withdrawal ? How is that we have access to all the information on benzo withdrawal if we make a small effort to look for it, and they don't ? And if they were asleep, it wouldn't have been with the pills they are handing out to their patients, because I took all of their junk and apart from the first week or so I never slept on them and my insomnia only got worse, and then again worse during withdrawal, if worse was even possible.

How crazy is it that we, the patients, need to educate our doctors ? I mean, what do they teach in medical school then ? In my country psychiatrists need to study 12 bloody years and not one single minute of that is spent on how these drugs actually work in the brain and how to withdraw their patients from the meds they prescribe themselves on a daily basis. That's like a Nobel prize-winning chemicist not knowing the chemical formula of plain water (even I know that one and I never studied chemistry).

I'm sorry for my ramblings, but those medical doctors need to be taught a lesson. Literally.

I heard (over and over) anecdotal evidence is not evidence.

well it should be.

some of us don't fit in your little box scientists.

Klon181

Your neurologist is a dip shit.

Sorry, but I'm just so tired a doctors not knowing a damn thing about this poison they give to people.

!!!!

hear hear!

I send  to my doctor nasty letter , very nasty , and to minister of health , and paper to everybody . I am sick of this  ,,,,,,there is not w/d from benzo , iam sick of their  stupidity.

I  lost  trust for doctors , period . Sad .  I did ,  I a have more knowledge then my exidiot doctor . Is crime what they do to people and how many people died , because of doctors .

so did I, about effexor. never heard a thing.

Hello All

First do no harm?

The World Health Organisation estimated in 2003 that 33% of diseases were caused by medical treatment ie iatrogenic or doctor-induced illness. In 2000, doctors were the third leading cause of death in the US after heart disease and cancer, causing an estimated 250,000 deaths each year(article in the Journal of the American Medical Association).

The best of them know this.

spartacus

Maybe part of the problem is that any medical doctor is taught to rely on physical proof like blood work or scans. Since benzo withdrawal cannot be detected that way once the stuff is out of your system, they just assume nothing is wrong with you and it's all in your head. How the hell they are willing to diagnose CFS and fibromyalgia on such a scale without the slightest piece of evidence and NOT benzo withdrawal syndrome is beyond me, since in our case at least there's a known cause in the form of a mind-altering drug and for the other two syndromes mentioned the cause is unknown. I guess with CFS and fibro you can't blame the doctor so it is not iatrogenic in nature and therefore it is much more acceptable as a diagnosis.

I don't see doctors alone the problem. And they're not!

They are only told what they are taught about the drugs, which isn't much of anything.

Why not blame the FDA?

I'm afraid it goes deeper than just your doctor.

Maybe part of the problem is that any medical doctor is taught to rely on physical proof like blood work or scans.

I would think that's some of it, yes.

We may not agree on "sporadic use of a benzo" is safe, but I can agree here.

As far as Neurologists, there are some good ones, but they're a rarity to find.

To the OP, I would find another Neuro. Sounds like the one you are dealing with, isn't for you.

Im just finishing reading Jack Hobsen-Duponts book "The Benzo Book"...he makes a strong case against the FDA.

Shame on this country.................

east

Im just finishing reading Jack Hobsen-Duponts book "The Benzo Book"...he makes a strong case against the FDA.

Shame on this country.................

east

It's going to take allot to stop the FDA I'm afraid.

But then again, why would a drug be banned, when it helps save lives, such as someone in Status Epilepticus? In something like this, you have to look at every side.

I personally don't trust everything the FDA approves, not just pills, but some foods.

I'm not entirely sure what the FDA does exactly besides approving medications. And do their decisions apply to the entire world or only to the US ?

BillyF, on the topic of sporadic benzo use, for what it's worth, I would NEVER recommend benzos either because I know how horrible they can be and there is a lot you do to help yourself in case of insomnia or anxiety without benzos or any pill for that matter. And if doctors in general would have more at hand than just their precious pills, it probably shouldn't be necessary to hand out sleeping tablets or tranquillizers anyway except maybe in rare situations or when every other therapy has failed. But if a person is already taking benzos or considers taking them for whatever reason, it is important to know how you can take them safely, which I believe is perfectly possible (unless you have a paradoxical reaction right from the first dose, and that is very rare) and only on the condition that you have not reached tolerance and have not been dependent before, which wasn't clear from the other thread were the argument occured (the OP kept saying he took them sporadically on and off). Also, while tapering you need to take benzos anyway, and if you're taking, say, Xanax, you need to know about interdose withdrawal and stuff.

My guess is that so many parties are involved here that it is difficult to point out where the problem lies exactly: the FDA, the drug companies, the DSM people (= drug companies), hospitals, psychiatrists, doctors etc. In the end, it's all about selling a product and making money on sick patients and keeping them sick or making them sick so they need treatment, I guess, and everyone who benefits from that system is to blame, however small their part in it is.

I've seen 4 neurologists. 3 said they've never heard of my symptoms and the fourth (at Mass General Hospital- currently rated best in the USA) says Benzos are "archaic" and should only be used in the history books right next to leeches, letting blood, and lobotomies! He agrees that all my symptoms are very common in withdrawal and is helping me get off them. He treated me as if I'd been subjected to torture. Certainly knows his stuff. So my point: most doctors are clueless about withdrawal effects. Keep searching and you'll find someone with proper training. Try talking to a psychiatrist. They are starting to brighten up to the dangers if these evil drugs.

And you were lucky. It would seem to me that only 10-20% of doctors know much of anything at all about benzo wd, and far fewer have any idea the true dangers of these life destroying drugs.

3 out of the 4 doctors can say they "never heard of" symptoms and the 4th knows exactly what you're talking about. That should illustrate just how messed up things are today.

I think the doctors can't be blamed as the entire problem, if any of it. The process of how the drugs are developed and approved have nothing to do with your PCP's or Psychiatrists. You need to take your frustration out on Big Pharma. Doctors only know what they are told. I know when you're in the throes of withdrawal, and can't reason, you want someone to blame, and that's understandable.

Maybe I'm too far out of the withdrawal, and can see that.

What you people need to do is protest against Big Pharma, protesting against the doctor is going to do absolutely nothing.

What I do think most doctors need to know is how to get one off the drug safely, and know the symptoms.

Big Pharma is the one you're after, as far as your frustrations.

I'm not going to sit around bashing doctors, because one day... one may just save my life.

Doctors should not be blamed for everything. There are excellent doctors. But that does not mean the horrible ones should get off the hook. They kill people. A very bad one almost killed me.

Well, if you are treated in your country's best hospital and by highly respected doctors they really should live up to their reputation and at least have some idea of what benzos do and how to withdraw from them instead of stopping all your benzos at once and drug you up with antipsychotics and antidepressants and then pretend there's nothing wrong and you're the only problem, not them. I lost all respect for doctors after the way I was treated that way and it is totally deserved. Regardless of how they were influenced by drug companies or by their education. They should know better, and they have no excuse.

are doctor's who have a clear case of ADD when i'm trying to tell them my symptoms and they don't look at me and just keep writing and looking down and not listening at all. major ADD! i finally had to say to two doc's, "please stop writing and look at me" and they could not!

are doctor's who have a clear case of ADD when i'm trying to tell them my symptoms and they don't look at me and just keep writing and looking down and not listening at all. major ADD! i finally had to say to two doc's, "please stop writing and look at me" and they could not!

sucks. I'm thinking THEY should have a couple months on the drugs and see how they feel.

they would not fair well, i am sure. but the ADD doc's that i noticed, well, they had ADD is what i'm saying, and then giving out all those meds for ADD--some of them. that pissed me off!

Hear this. One psychiatrist actually told me that most of his colleagues would fit a personality disorder, usually narcissistic personality because they think they invented hot water and put themselves miles above their patients, and also they are unable to own up to their mistakes. These are his words, not mine. Of course he forgot to include himself, because he turned out to be no better than his colleagues.

Hear this. One psychiatrist actually told me that most of his colleagues would fit a personality disorder, usually narcissistic personality because they think they invented hot water and put themselves miles above their patients, and also they are unable to own up to their mistakes. These are his words, not mine. Of course he forgot to include himself, because he turned out to be no better than his colleagues.

yeah baby

Funny  you say that, last psychiatrist I say, I was thinking exactly this.  That he was narcissistic, my exact thoughts.

Doctors should not be blamed for everything. There are excellent doctors. But that does not mean the horrible ones should get off the hook. They kill people. A very bad one almost killed me.

I'm sorry for your dramatic experience with this doctor.

Yes, there are bad doctors out there. There's a bad nut in every crowd. We don't live in a perfect world, and never will. That's part of life.

I guess it's up to you to take this doctor down. If you have the time, money, and power to do it, then go for it.

I just choose not to blame and hate on one, individual person. Life is too short for that.

The hate phase passes.

Good luck!

So I'm really pissed off about the medical profession and benzos, but here's another take.

Everyday doctors see stuff they can't explain - it may even be the majority of non-injury visits. Headaches, pain here, pain there, nausea, etc. and most of the time it's probably nothing, or a virus which typically can't be treated anyway. If your labs come back clean, what exactly is a normal doc supposed to do? They got nothin.

As one neurologist told me "Even if we did know what was wrong with you, what makes you think we'd have a treatment? We are almost powerless against many of the neurological things we know about, much less those we don't know about. What I do know is that you are not dying."

I feel like I'm dying but in fact am not. Great.

Despite the awfulness of benzo wd, and it is horrendously effed up and terrible, it is clear that if you simply don't kill yourself and wait long enough, you are likely to get better. That is not the case with PD, MS, etc. Doctors are trained to rule *out* evil bad stuff that will result in death. They are pretty good at that. How many of us have gone to the ER only to be discharged told we are healthy? Many of us. But they suck at ruling in things outside of conventional tests and thinking.

What would be really cool is some kind of new imaging technique that measured glutamate hyperactivity. Then they could say "Wow, your GABA system is offline, you must be experiencing massive DP/DR and all sorts of evil sh&t. Are you by any chance on a benzo???"

Would save a lot of money and lives...

M