Author Topic: Neurologist says he's never heard of such symptoms?  (Read 1232 times)

[Buddie]

Re: Neurologist says he's never heard of such symptoms?
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2013, 10:26:18 am »

I send  to my doctor nasty letter , very nasty , and to minister of health , and paper to everybody . I am sick of this  ,,,,,,there is not w/d from benzo , iam sick of their  stupidity.
I  lost  trust for doctors , period . Sad .  I did ,  I a have more knowledge then my exidiot doctor . Is crime what they do to people and how many people died , because of doctors .

so did I, about effexor. never heard a thing.
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2013, 10:45:37 am »
Hello All

First do no harm?

The World Health Organisation estimated in 2003 that 33% of diseases were caused by medical treatment ie iatrogenic or doctor-induced illness. In 2000, doctors were the third leading cause of death in the US after heart disease and cancer, causing an estimated 250,000 deaths each year(article in the Journal of the American Medical Association).

The best of them know this.

[...]
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2013, 12:14:33 pm »
Maybe part of the problem is that any medical doctor is taught to rely on physical proof like blood work or scans. Since benzo withdrawal cannot be detected that way once the stuff is out of your system, they just assume nothing is wrong with you and it's all in your head. How the hell they are willing to diagnose CFS and fibromyalgia on such a scale without the slightest piece of evidence and NOT benzo withdrawal syndrome is beyond me, since in our case at least there's a known cause in the form of a mind-altering drug and for the other two syndromes mentioned the cause is unknown. I guess with CFS and fibro you can't blame the doctor so it is not iatrogenic in nature and therefore it is much more acceptable as a diagnosis.

[Buddie]

« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2013, 03:36:35 pm »
I don't see doctors alone the problem. And they're not!

They are only told what they are taught about the drugs, which isn't much of anything.

Why not blame the FDA?

I'm afraid it goes deeper than just your doctor.

Maybe part of the problem is that any medical doctor is taught to rely on physical proof like blood work or scans.

I would think that's some of it, yes.

We may not agree on "sporadic use of a benzo" is safe, but I can agree here.

As far as Neurologists, there are some good ones, but they're a rarity to find.

To the OP, I would find another Neuro. Sounds like the one you are dealing with, isn't for you.

[Buddie]

« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2013, 03:45:33 pm »
Im just finishing reading Jack Hobsen-Duponts book "The Benzo Book"...he makes a strong case against the FDA.
Shame on this country.................
[...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2013, 03:58:39 pm »
Im just finishing reading Jack Hobsen-Duponts book "The Benzo Book"...he makes a strong case against the FDA.
Shame on this country.................
[...]

It's going to take allot to stop the FDA I'm afraid.

But then again, why would a drug be banned, when it helps save lives, such as someone in Status Epilepticus? In something like this, you have to look at every side.

I personally don't trust everything the FDA approves, not just pills, but some foods.

[Buddie]

« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2013, 04:33:51 pm »
I'm not entirely sure what the FDA does exactly besides approving medications. And do their decisions apply to the entire world or only to the US ?

[...], on the topic of sporadic benzo use, for what it's worth, I would NEVER recommend benzos either because I know how horrible they can be and there is a lot you do to help yourself in case of insomnia or anxiety without benzos or any pill for that matter. And if doctors in general would have more at hand than just their precious pills, it probably shouldn't be necessary to hand out sleeping tablets or tranquillizers anyway except maybe in rare situations or when every other therapy has failed. But if a person is already taking benzos or considers taking them for whatever reason, it is important to know how you can take them safely, which I believe is perfectly possible (unless you have a paradoxical reaction right from the first dose, and that is very rare) and only on the condition that you have not reached tolerance and have not been dependent before, which wasn't clear from the other thread were the argument occured (the OP kept saying he took them sporadically on and off). Also, while tapering you need to take benzos anyway, and if you're taking, say, Xanax, you need to know about interdose withdrawal and stuff.

My guess is that so many parties are involved here that it is difficult to point out where the problem lies exactly: the FDA, the drug companies, the DSM people (= drug companies), hospitals, psychiatrists, doctors etc. In the end, it's all about selling a product and making money on sick patients and keeping them sick or making them sick so they need treatment, I guess, and everyone who benefits from that system is to blame, however small their part in it is.

[Buddie]

« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2013, 05:45:58 pm »
I've seen 4 neurologists. 3 said they've never heard of my symptoms and the fourth (at Mass General Hospital- currently rated best in the USA) says Benzos are "archaic" and should only be used in the history books right next to leeches, letting blood, and lobotomies! He agrees that all my symptoms are very common in withdrawal and is helping me get off them. He treated me as if I'd been subjected to torture. Certainly knows his stuff. So my point: most doctors are clueless about withdrawal effects. Keep searching and you'll find someone with proper training. Try talking to a psychiatrist. They are starting to brighten up to the dangers if these evil drugs.

And you were lucky. It would seem to me that only 10-20% of doctors know much of anything at all about benzo wd, and far fewer have any idea the true dangers of these life destroying drugs.

3 out of the 4 doctors can say they "never heard of" symptoms and the 4th knows exactly what you're talking about. That should illustrate just how messed up things are today.

[Buddie]

« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2013, 06:13:03 pm »
I think the doctors can't be blamed as the entire problem, if any of it. The process of how the drugs are developed and approved have nothing to do with your PCP's or Psychiatrists. You need to take your frustration out on Big Pharma. Doctors only know what they are told. I know when you're in the throes of withdrawal, and can't reason, you want someone to blame, and that's understandable.

Maybe I'm too far out of the withdrawal, and can see that.

What you people need to do is protest against Big Pharma, protesting against the doctor is going to do absolutely nothing.
What I do think most doctors need to know is how to get one off the drug safely, and know the symptoms.

Big Pharma is the one you're after, as far as your frustrations.

I'm not going to sit around bashing doctors, because one day... one may just save my life.

[Buddie]

« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2013, 11:32:41 pm »
Doctors should not be blamed for everything. There are excellent doctors. But that does not mean the horrible ones should get off the hook. They kill people. A very bad one almost killed me.