Bubbles in urine

[wo...]

This must be from the proteins building up in me.  I have noticed bubbles in the toilet in the last week.  I know I may be getting a bit far off base with this.  I dont think I should be losing muscle at almost 5 months.  The initial wasting seemed to even out and then kicked in again.  Last tuesday I gave a urine sample along with new blood draw.  I will see Monday.

I have never heard of that being a symptom of losing protein (proteinuria). That would cause this odd foaminess. Only way to know is through your urine and blood tests. Are you having any swelling of hands or feet?

No swelling.  I looked up causes of bubbles in urine and excessive protein was listed.  I dont consume much proteins and drink about a half gallon of water daily.  The last time I had blood work done at this office I had results in my mailbox inside of 72 hours. 

Oh, the dangers of looking things up! Done it myself a million times. I doubt highly that you have kidney failure....

Cuz thats the usual cause of protein in the urine. And for the foamy urine you would almost definitly have swelling in hands or feet....plus maybe decreased urine output. 

I dont understand why, but we all seem to become hyphochondriacs!! This is so common that Ashton even lists it in her symptom list.

Would you let me know when you get your labs? I'm interested....I think you know Im a nurse, right?

east

I will keep you posted.  They will or would have called on the kidney function.  In December the bun creatinine ratio was a 12 and six weeks later it was a 8.  If it has dropped any I will find out. 

I get this and also in my stool. I never have burning sensations when peeing and go frequently at night. All the blood and urine tests have showed absolutely nothing expect for a slightly elevated cortisol level. I've accepted it as being  a part of wd. But I've also read while we are in wd we are more prone to infections. So a possible uti? I don't know anymore myself.

Drugfree, do you mean that your stool kind of floats.  I leave foamy bubbles that dispurse in about 30 seconds.

Hello Nurse East.  I kind of got that from some of your knowledgeable postings. 

Blood work in the morning mail.  Talk about a basic blood test.  This is not a CBC/kidney/liver panel.  I was getting 21 point  CBC 8 panel kidney 7 panel liver.  The good news is I know my liver is working because my total cholesterol is down from 280 to 202.  triglycerides are down from 176 to 141 but hdl is 37 when it was 39.  The nurses aid gave me a pee cup, but I did not see it on the results. 

glucose 91

bun 10

creatinine .9  ratio up from 8.3  to  11.7  at least its up!

sodium serum 140

potassium " 4.6

chloride 103

bilirubin total 1.0

alk 57 ast 17 alt 29    4 months ago alk 57 ast 26 alt 47 

no protein serums!  not a very comprehensive test.  I am not a doctor but I do know that normal function will not indicate a liver problem.  My liver aches and pains have not gone away since c/t.  I have been doing a lot of liver reading in the last 4 months. 

.  Not a scrap of junk food zero fast foods.  In december my platelets were at 141, went up to 262 now down to 200

I have not been kind to my body for about 10 years. 

No my stool seems to drop all the way to the bottom every time. But I notice a lot of bubbles come up from it. Seems as though it has a ton of gas within the stool. It's always light brown and slight yellowish. I also eat a lot of protein, yet can't seem to maintain my muscles. I've lost alot. I have my recent blood work at home and I'll compare it with yours when I have a chance. But from the top of my head my lipase, amylase, ast, alt, bilirubin have returned to normal since I came off benzos.

Wornout, your labs look okay, to me.......

I know what you mean, not having been kind to MY body for a long, long time. Its amazing that Im still alive and kicking (well, kicking feebly-).

You mention not eating much protein..? Are you vegetarian? I do not want to lecture or sound like a know-it-all, cuz Im NOT - but protein is really important. Doesnt have to be a lot. I've become vegetarian (lacto-ovo) since beginning this w/d. The idea of eating animal flesh makes me nauseous! But I eat eggs and cheese, quite a bit. And I drink a lot of milk.

east

I found out a lot of information by looking up why my protein was high on my December blood draw.  I understand that damaged muscle can show up in blood as protein.  The more I read it lead my to reading more about the liver and some people with serious liver problems (cirrhosis) should stay away from proteins.  Also as part of my survival mode I started working out.  I was up to almost benching my own body weight again for the first time in a long time.  So a am just lifting enough to maintain some tone.  All these symptoms share a lot of those with "serious liver problems".  Anyway I found out a lot by not even looking into anything specific.  There are some things that can not be explained away from benzo wd.  My blood clots differently and I know a coagulation pt test would be a lot of $$$.  (pardon my lab jargin mixed with laymens terms)  My instinct is to go for a long long long adventure walking for mile to get my lowere half back and to hit the weights to get my upper half back.

just call me either, bubbles, wornout, or withered away

I'm all 3 of those brother. Wish there was something we can do to speed up our brains to heal. Funny how when things were normal I didn't want the days to end so I wouldn't get older. Now I want them to by fast to get over this hell I'm in.

• 3 weeks later...

wornout,

did you ever find out the issue with bubbles in your urine? I also looked it up and mentioned passing protein through your urine. I  did a small test and pee'd in a cup and 2 hours later the bubbles were still floating in there. They had become somewhat foamy at that point. Sorry for the graphic details but I'm concerned now.

Um about a month ago? Here's a list.

Total protein - 7.8

Albumin - 4.5

Bilirubin - .4

Direct Bilirubin - .14

AST - 21

ALT - 26

Transglutaminase IgA - <2

IgA - 400

T4 - 1.29

T3 - 3.1

Cortisol - 22.1

Amylase - 120

Lipase - 55

Hpylori - <0.9 (Isn't that really low?)

Glucose - 93

BUN - 12

Creatine - .75 (Low?)

Potassium Serum - 4.3

WBC - 7.6

RBC - 5.22

Triglycerides - 97

Vitamin D - 26.6

Lipase - 50

Amylase - 120

You can still call me Bubbles.  Yes I did have a urine test done and no proteins were found.  She, my doctor is knowledgeable about benzo wd so I dont have to tell her about my wasting issues.  She is maybe 28 - 32 years old and I specifically told her about my liver pain and some symptoms that I have that may suggest cirrhosis. After ruling out proteins she mentioned kidneys but seems to want to keep the phone conversation short.  She knows and I know that simple alp, ast, and alt only indicate that there is liver function and only a biopsy or a very expensive blood test would diagnose severe damage.  I had an employee that was admitted to the er a few years ago.  He had some diabetic problems and other issues but in a long story short he was discharged and wondered what the sore spot under the right side of his rib cage was.  He was given a biopsy and diagnosed with cirrhosis.  Dont get the wrong idea.  I am not suggesting bubble in pee mean your liver is on the blink but most likely protein. 

Back to the bubbles.  They first started to appear just before Easter.  At that time my insomnia came back along with some other unwordly feeling of mind and body trhat my vocabulary cant still cant describe.  I keep pushing myself and even worked 10 hours Friday.  I can bench press 250 lbs which gives me a simple comfort that one who is strong must be healthy.  A very naive way to look at it.  My weight satys the same with a 2500 calorie diet.  That is good.  I really dont even go to work for the money but to just get a taste of "the way it was without the buzz"  Hey I just coined a new phrase.  "The Way It Was Without The Buzz"  And yess after 10 hours of moving furniture I would say I set myself back a month or better.  I can gimp around pretty well and optimistically will be back at something soon. 

As far as I can see, your labs seem normal. H Pylori is a bacteria that theyve found may cause stomach ulcers, so it should be low.

However, I have to say I am not an expert, and dont have a medical book handy to check ALL you wrote down. The basics look just fine though.

Damned if, since reading this thread, my own urine now has bubbles. Are we imagining this crazy stuff??

Wornout, what did your doctor say about the bubbles?

east

She ruled out protein and suggested kidney involvement but to me she seems to say things look good "for now."  I am quoting her.

"For today things are okay."  Then she says call me with if you have any concerns.  She is benzo wise to a degree and I told her about my liver pain.  I am not a doctor but I know where my liver is and that it hurts and burn and also hurts in my back on the opposite side.  she said if the pain persists call her back, but I dont think that she understood me say it has been persisting since December.  In the middle of March it started to hurt in the3 rear.  And it still does.  She is trying to keep the costs down as tests are not cheap. 

Come to think of it I did a 24 hour urine test in early march and doctor didn't mention anything was wrong. Although the bubbly urine didn't start til about a month ago. I mean no matter what I do I can't build muscle at the moment. I use to be fit 3 months ago and now its just whitering away. If its not protein then what?

I finally got off my arse and did a little research and YES benzos cause urinary retention! I started having that a few years back...maybe 8 years..? And had that recent UTI because of it. Now I need to find out if it ever gets better!

If youre not emptying your bladder youre more prone to infections. Duh.

east