Help..Planning a taper..

[...]

Hi All ~

I am in need of help bad here. I am going to my Dr. tomorrow ( wish me luck ) to talk to him about the Ashton Taper. I do have soem of it printed out. I believe he will not want to listen to this but I have to try..does anyone have a Asghton schedule from tapering off .5 Xanax doing the crossover to Valium..PLEASE!

Thanks, Donna

Hi Bugs,

Are you going to cross over to valium? Do you take your .50 xanax once a day now? I can tell you that Ashton's equivalency is .50 xanax is equal to 10mg valium, but I do not see a cross over schedule for that amount. Someone else may be able to tell you how to cross over by slowly substituting the valium for the xanax. Unfortunately, this is not my expertise. Hopefully, someone will be by to help you, but I don't think they will have anything to print out. You may be able to print the xanax crossover schedule from the Aston Manual and your doctor may be able to follow from that.

T2  :smitten:

Hi Bugs,

Welcome to BenzoBuddies.

Switching from one benzo to another is not so mysterious. If you do not already have a prescription for the 0.25mg Xanax pills, I highly recommend that you do so. You should be able to split these pills in half. This means that you can split your daily dose of 0.5mg Xanax into four parts. You will also need 2mg tablets of Valium. To substitute, simply replace one-half of a 0.25mg pill (0.125mg) for an equivalent dose of Valium - Ashton would equate 0.125mg Xanax to 2.5mg Valium. Stick at this dose (0.375mg Xanax and 2.5mg Valium) for one week (or longer if you think you need the time). Then switch another half-pill for another 2.5mg Valium, so that your daily dose is 0.25mg Xanax and 5mg Valium. Again wait a week or more. Keep doing this until you have completely switched to Valium. At the end of the process, you should be taking 10mg Valium.

A variation on this would be be to obtain some 5mg Valium tablets in addition to the 2mg tablets. If you can quarter your 0.25mg Xanax pills, you could swap a quarter of a 0.25mg Xanax pill (0.0625mg) for 1.25mg Valium (a quarter of a 5mg pill). Again, wait a week, and then switch another quarter pill of Xanax for a quarter pill of 5mg Valium (1.25mg). Again, once your switchover is complete, you would be on 10mg Valium. You will still need the 2mg Valium  tablets, as the 5mg tablets are too large when tapering from 10mg Valium.

Thanks Theresa2 ~

I take .50 3 times a day..I cant find one anywhere either. I was hoping to have something to print out to show my Dr. I fear her will not be very responsive to this.

Ugh..

Thanks Colin ~

Sorry but that still sounded confusing to me! I take .50 3 x's a day...what is the equivalent dose to that nad how would I proceed?

Sorry for sounding so ignorant.

Bugs

Hi All ~

I am in need of help bad here. I am going to my Dr. tomorrow ( wish me luck ) to talk to him about the Ashton Taper. I do have soem of it printed out. I believe he will not want to listen to this but I have to try..does anyone have a Asghton schedule from tapering off .5 Xanax doing the crossover to Valium..PLEASE!

Thanks, Donna

I crossed over from .5 mg K to 10 mg Valium. In your case you'd only need 5 mg Valium. It can be done! :thumbsup:

Tony

Thanks Theresa2 ~

I take .50 3 times a day..I cant find one anywhere either. I was hoping to have something to print out to show my Dr. I fear her will not be very responsive to this.

Ugh..

Oh, this changes things somewhat.

Break these 0.5mg pills in two, so that have doses of 0.25mg. This means that you can split your daily dose into six parts. So, you can switch just a sixth of your dose at a time. Perhaps starting with your evening dose, swap half of a 0.5mg pill (0.25mg) for 5mg Valium. Stay at this daily dose (1.25mg Xanax and 5mg Valium) for a week or longer if needed. Then switch another half pill (from another dose during the day) for 2.5mg Valium. Keep doing this, stepwise, every week or so until you have exchanged your daily dose of 1.5mg Xanax for 30mg Valium. After a week or two of being on 30mg Valium, you would begin your taper. We will help you devise a schedule at the time.

Edit: corrected my figures.

Thanks Theresa2 ~

Ugh..

Wait! You're taking 1.5 mg per day then?

Tony

Hi All ~

Thanks, Donna

I crossed over from .5 mg K to 10 mg Valium. In your case you'd only need 5 mg Valium. It can be done! :thumbsup:

Tony

I think you have misunderstood (unless I have misunderstood) - Bugs takes a total of 1.5mg Xanax per day. This is equivalent to 30mg Valium by Ashton's equivalents.

Thanks Theresa2 ~

Ugh..

Wait! You're taking 1.5 mg per day then?

Tony

Yep, that's how I read it. ;)

Thanks Theresa2 ~

Ugh..

Oh, this changes things somewhat.

Break these 0.5mg pills in two, so that have doses of 0.25mg. This means that you can split your daily dose into six parts. So, you can switch just a sixth of your dose at a time. Perhaps starting with your evening dose, swap half of a 0.5mg pill (0.25mg) for 5mg Valium. Stay at this daily dose (1.25mg Xanax and 5mg Valium) for a week or longer if needed. Then switch another half pill (from another dose during the day) for 2.5mg Valium. Keep doing this, stepwise, every week or so until you have exchanged your daily dose of 1.5mg Xanax for 30mg Valium. After a week or two of being on 30mg Valium, you would begin your taper. We will help you devise a schedule at the time.

Edit: corrected my figures.

I am so sorry everyone! Yes, I take a total of 1.5 ml a day! Sorry for the misunderstanding! I guess I am trying to figure this all out! I have been on this dose for approximately 3 years. Originally I was on 5 - 6 ml. built up over a few years ( I had 2 sons go to war at the same time--UGH ) But I did a s-l-o-w taper to what I have been at the past 3 years. I just feel like when I take them I have not taken anything at all. I almost feel like I have some of those dreadful withdrawls that I remember so much..I dont want to do it that way again and I am HOPING my Dr. will listen. Thank you all...and again I apoligize!

Bugs

Hello Everyone ~

I want to Thank all that posted to my post yesterday. As I said yesterday I had an appointment with my Dr. and I took the Ashton Taper / crossover to Valium to him and he said he was familiar with it. I also took him a schedule I had printed from a benzosupport/crossover he felt that taper was a little to fast for me so adjuted it to a little slower of taper / crossover and I go back in two weeks to have it adjusted again..Ugh, I only had about 2 hours sleep last night worrying about this. He was so kind and compassionate as he usually is. I have been with him for years so I dont know why I was so worried! But all worked well and I am in my way to get off these hellish pills!

Thank You all so much, Donna

Hi Bugs,

This is wonderful news! I am so glad you have such a great and understanding doctor. They are so hard to come by these days. We will be here for you during your taper, okay.  :thumbsup:

Take care!

T2  :smitten:

Hello Everyone ~

I want to Thank all that posted to my post yesterday. As I said yesterday I had an appointment with my Dr. and I took the Ashton Taper / crossover to Valium to him and he said he was familiar with it. I also took him a schedule I had printed from a benzosupport/crossover he felt that taper was a little to fast for me so adjuted it to a little slower of taper / crossover and I go back in two weeks to have it adjusted again..Ugh, I only had about 2 hours sleep last night worrying about this. He was so kind and compassionate as he usually is. I have been with him for years so I dont know why I was so worried! But all worked well and I am in my way to get off these hellish pills!

Thank You all so much, Donna

Wow it's awesome that he chose to go even slower than Ashton. I like this man! :thumbsup:

• 5 weeks later...

Everyone ~ Eveything was tapering over very smooth..I am sorry I have not written more (family problems out of town ).. Anyway, My daughter and I were spending a day in town. She is 32 mentally handicapped, and some how a Sonic drink got spilled on us and I reached ro the back seat to grab a towel ( the drinks are HUGES) and anyway to the point --- I got pullled over for swerving and and when asked for my ID my meds were with me and they did 2 tests which I passed BUT hauled me down to the station becuase the asked me if I took meds and I did not lie and said yes. SO I had to take a urine test...who kows whta in there...NOTHING ILLEGAL! I was never kept there so i di dnot have to be bailed out and I also got a Attorny yesterday. But until the tests come back there is not much we can do..

Has this EVER happened to anyone?

I am SICK TO MY STOMACH..soryy, Bugs

Hi Bugs,

I am sorry you have to go through something like this when you are tapering and going through family problems. That officer that pulled you over must be a jerk. I'm sure you explained to him what happened to make you swerve and that your meds are prescription. Did the officer cite you for anything? What did your attorney tell you? Did he tell you anything that would make you believe there could be any problems? I think everything will work out okay.  Please try not to stress about this too much. I have not read about this happening to anyone else, but maybe somone might know more about it than I would.

T2 :smitten:

T2 ,

The Attorney told me drugs are drugs, illegal or not! I could not believe it.. and that Valium and even Xanax are considered narcotics!

I am jsut sick ! Can you believe how many people would be picked up for that! There was NO ALCHOL..bcause I blew a 0.0 two times.

They say you cnat even drink cough syrup and drive,,,WHAT????

Now here I ma on a taper thatI was excited about and they are going top probably stick me in some rehab joint or JAIL , no less :'( and I will be labeled)

Sorry to rant

HUgs from Bugs

T2 ,

The Attorney told me drugs are drugs, illegal or not! I could not believe it.. and that Valium and even Xanax are considered narcotics!

I am jsut sick ! Can you believe how many people would be picked up for that! There was NO ALCHOL..bcause I blew a 0.0 two times.

They say you cnat even drink cough syrup and drive,,,WHAT????

Now here I ma on a taper thatI was excited about and they are going top probably stick me in some rehab joint or JAIL , no less :'( and I will be labeled)

Sorry to rant

HUgs from Bugs

Sorry it took so long to resond, my internet is not being very cooperative today. There is no warning on meds sheets saying you are not allowed to drive, just to use caution. That's ridiculous!! Maybe you should have your doctor intervene with some kind of statement about your current treatment and taper? I don't think they would send you to jail on a first offense anyways. Did he cite you for driving under the influence?

Aww thanks T2 for caring!

I EVEN looked and it never said anything about NOT driving, some said "until you know how this medication effects you", I took that to my lawyer and je was at ahhh over that. My doc told me today this is absurd! Its mto like I gave you morphine, demerol and go for a drive in the nexy big city and have a PARTY!!! Its stupid!

I am not only out of a job I ahve no insureance and now this. Bless my Marinein Iraq he is sending some to me as soon as he gets paid..iS THAT Not SAD!!!!

Its sad enough I went over the board when both my sons Marines were sent the first time ( one is on his 3rd, the other just finished his 3rd) and while they were all over there my yoingest som was diagnosed with Kidney disease! I wanted to die..

Whne I think back then - I think WOW you were a NUT! LOL

HUGS

Yes I was cited for a DUI...I dont drink!  >:( and had a urine test which will come back prescription drugs.

Yes thsi happened before and my DR. Did interven and it was dropped to inattentive becauces I DID reack =h around my back seat and swerved and I said I did...but the weird think with that was I was on way back home from my son who had surgery so we had all his meds, my meds it was 4am and we are about 40 miles from a another state that hauls drugs in I guess...they called the drug dogs out, tore my cart apart and my poor son was bleeding....I should have sues them then. Thats when I got and inattentive driving,

THERE  - this is my life

Bugs

Aww thanks T2 for caring!

I EVEN looked and it never said anything about NOT driving, some said "until you know how this medication effects you", I took that to my lawyer and je was at ahhh over that. My doc told me today this is absurd! Its mto like I gave you morphine, demerol and go for a drive in the nexy big city and have a PARTY!!! Its stupid!

I am not only out of a job I ahve no insureance and now this. Bless my Marinein Iraq he is sending some to me as soon as he gets paid..iS THAT Not SAD!!!!

Its sad enough I went over the board when both my sons Marines were sent the first time ( one is on his 3rd, the other just finished his 3rd) and while they were all over there my yoingest som was diagnosed with Kidney disease! I wanted to die..

Whne I think back then - I think WOW you were a NUT! LOL

HUGS

Geez (((Bugs))), you have been through the ringer, my heart aches for you.  Did you lose your job over this? Have you told your attorney everything you have been through and you were on these meds for extreme emotional distress? Your doctor is right, this is absurd. Hopefully, your attorney and doctor can get this straightened out for you. Blessings to you and your sons. Let us know how everything turns out.

T2 :smitten: