Announcement: It is with regret... ×

What is happening in your brain?

[pa...]

Hi Morroweg,

I'm not a pharmacist, but I have been doing quite a bit of research online re. the different benzo's as well as the GABA-B antagonists, agonists and inhibitors. From what I have read, the benzodiazapines have no effect on the GABA B's, except perhaps for and indirect interaction.

There are drugs out there that can have a profound affect on them, such as some types of muscle relaxers (baclofen),  barbituates such as phenobarbital, and some anti-convulsants such as Gabapentin (Neurontin) as always depending on dosages, etc.

Some of these can have slight effects on the GABA-A indirectly, as the GABA-B receptors are known to be responsible for mediating the inhibitory effects of GABA-A.

I have to take 1800 mg's of the Neurontin for spinal problems, and was taking 20 mg's a day of the Baclofen for back problems, but noticed no affect on my w/d sx's

Keep the Faith!

Just needed to say - 29 000+ views of this post!!!!  So glad so many people have found and read it, it truly is one of the most helpful pieces on withdrawal that I have read.  Thanks again Parker. 

Thanx to Porter for posting this.  Now I know why it's so hard to do some things.  Brain is damaged and it needs to heal;

Peace and Blessings

Snufi                  :smitten:

That's where your cerebellum is situated, it's primarily involved with muscle movement co-ordination & balance so could account for some of the strange sensations.

Hi M,

I did not see anything about that, but did not specifically look for it. I have been trying to learn about the interactions between the GABA-A and B because of the medicines my Neuro has been trying to prescribe to me, and the specific effects of the benzos.

I will see what I can find if you would like. I know it is hard to wade through everything out there when you are having sx's. It took me almost 4 1/2 months before I was able to begin to comprehend a lot of what I was trying to read. Am a lot better now, though still having the ups and downs, was pretty bad yesterday and last night but better again today  :thumbsup: .

I have some things to do today, but later this evening or tonight I'll see what I can find.

Keep the Faith!

Hi Morrewg,

I saw that you mentioned, skin problems, hair loss, teeth damage, I have experienced these.  I am not a doctor..but I  play one on BB, no no, just being silly.  My hair, even on my body, pretty much fell out (pretty freaky).  It all grew back though.  My skin, all kinds of.....'disturbances', but they too have calmed down for the most part.  When I was having the skin troubles I saw a dermatologist and she prescribed antibiotics, plus creams and other stuff (it just aggravated EVERYTHING - for me, might not for you).  But, it also caused my teeth to burn around the gum line and darkened them also (I believe it was the medicine she prescribed, who knows).  I sound hideous don't I.  Well, once I discontinued the meds prescribed form the dermatologist, my teeth or I should say the burning tingling sensation went away, could of been the medicine or just the benzos, who knows and my teeth went back to white.  My skin problems calmed down too.  I think and my Psychiatrist agreed too, that it is probably the benzos.  He said that he has heard of all types of 'horrors' concerning the medications affects on people.  He said he wouldn't be surprised if a patient came in and said that their hair had turned purple.  I think it's just the medication, our bodies readjusting.  My endocrinologist mentioned that the medicine 'leaches' out of our bodies - they are detoxifying, getting rid of it, something like that...it's coming out of our systems in ALL ways.

That's my experience, it gets better.  I have to go my folks are calling me.  Just wanted to provide some reassurance...if this helps at all.  You're not alone.

grace and peace

eli

Can Parker or someone explain the mechanism behind DP and DR?  I'm 30 months out and having a huge wave of it.  Haven't been one of those people to have windows and waves...just slow progressive healing, but this is hitting me like a ton of bricks.  I know it's supposed to be your brain's self defense mechanism, but in the middle of it it's hard to reason. 

I tried the Doctor's Best magnesium a short time ago and my stomach couldn't tolerate.  Was hoping that might help something.

hi vickers and eli,

thanks for your replies. my problems are mostly of physical nature. i shall start my own

thread about this and would be very happy if you join in.

and thanks for the reassurance , my teeth are  (2 broke off due to the med and my dentist

realized this ..thanks god), well my teeth have also come back stronger than ever.

i  would also not have been surprised if my hair turned purple (ha ha)

as a matter of fact , there was a time, i thought to myself, what else can happen?

may be i will wake up with a second nose one morning.

thats how bad my phys.sxs were. :).

oh and i forgot.

i know its all about detoxing and the stuff coming out. and this is my question

about gaba (b) receptors and also about the bone marrow.

i must do a lot more searching before i start a thread.

have a good day ,all of you. :)

That's where your cerebellum is situated, it's primarily involved with muscle movement co-ordination & balance so could account for some of the strange sensations.

that sounds about right then, my balance and co-ordination is still completely off. but it's definitely that left lower corner. i remember it very well the day it "blew" out. it was the 4th day in the detox. i wonder why that got so damaged apart from all the rest? it's still going too. why does it pull and move to where my head goes to one side in a dystonia like fashion?

THANK YOU- i came off benzos 2 weeks ago after 3 years of trying - i thought i would be fine and couldnt understand the symptoms i waas experiencing - this article you have written has allayed my fears and help me understand when no on else could tell me what was going on - not even my doctor!!!! you have given me new hope for the future and once more - i thank you soooooooo much xx

I cant,t believe i,am reading this......i told my family a few weeks ago that my jeans feld wet when i put them on, posted it on the forum also, .....

And there it is, can,t believe it......

Thanks so much for explaining this, guess i,am healing!  :thumbsup:

:smitten:

Sandra.

this was so helpful, thankyou. im still worried about it saying 'the heart doesn't work as effectively' as im scared my heart will give up on me...especially as I get chest pains and short of breath with a tight chest (drs have done tests) x

Hey Chlhobbs,

I experienced, and still do, many of the 'symptoms' described here.  I was thoroughly examined by a myriad of doctors; examined, x-rayed, blood work, ultra sounds, etc.  They all came back with the same results, that all my physical structures were fine.  I am glad I had the tests as they put my mind at ease, I still do worry though...I believe that's the medicine it causes unneeded worry or we allow it to.  Anyway, If you were tested and all came out fine, then it probably is just the medication.  But, it is good to get tested if for anything your own peace of mind. 

I pray this my ease your worries a bit.  This has just been my experience, so take it for what it is.  I'm not a medical expert by any means, just pretty well versed on "The Troubles with Benzos" (sounds like it should be a movie...I'll talk with Spielberg, ha ha.)

grace and peace

eli

• 4 weeks later...

Amazingly informative post!  :thumbsup:  Everyone freaking out about "feeling this way forever" needs to read this.  I wish I would've stumbled upon it while in acute withdrawal. 

I have a good understanding of serotonin, dopamine and other neurotransmitters but had no clue about the GABA/glutamate system.  Any kind of withdrawal is going to suck, but benzo withdrawal is like recovering from mild brain damage.  (Benzos actually can cause shrinkage/atrophy in certain parts of the brain with long-term use - source:  http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/side-effects/201011/brain-damage-benzodiazepines-the-troubling-facts-risks-and-history-minor-tr).

The most baffling part for me has been the unpredictability of symptoms.  With opiate withdrawal, you feel crappy for a certain number of days and then it fades (for the most part); with benzos, some days are good and others are as bad as Day 1, with symptoms fluctuating throughout each day and lasting for months.  There's no rhyme or reason, making it harder to do the right things to feel better.  It all feels very "out of control," which is a feeling many of us despise anyway.   

Anywho, thanks for all the great info!  Benzobuddies rulez  :smitten:

Amazingly informative post!  :thumbsup:  Everyone freaking out about "feeling this way forever" needs to read this.  I wish I would've stumbled upon it while in acute withdrawal. 

I have a good understanding of serotonin, dopamine and other neurotransmitters but had no clue about the GABA/glutamate system.  Any kind of withdrawal is going to suck, but benzo withdrawal is like recovering from mild brain damage.  (Benzos actually can cause shrinkage/atrophy in certain parts of the brain with long-term use - source:  http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/side-effects/201011/brain-damage-benzodiazepines-the-troubling-facts-risks-and-history-minor-tr).

The most baffling part for me has been the unpredictability of symptoms.  With opiate withdrawal, you feel crappy for a certain number of days and then it fades (for the most part); with benzos, some days are good and others are as bad as Day 1, with symptoms fluctuating throughout each day and lasting for months.  There's no rhyme or reason, making it harder to do the right things to feel better.  It all feels very "out of control," which is a feeling many of us despise anyway.   

Anywho, thanks for all the great info!  Benzobuddies rulez  :smitten:

Thanks for posting that fascinating (and disturbing!) article ... I really hope most of us won't have the symptoms for years afterwards! That would be awful. :(

I'm a lot better in my 7th month but am hoping I'll be healed in a few months' time! Can't imagine living with this for longer than a year or 18 months at a push ... but from what I can see from this site, that's very unusual. Here's to our recovery!

Maggie

• 4 weeks later...
Thank you so so so much for this. I've been going through this for years and I never had the patience to read what was going on in my brain and I've been very resistant to allowing myself to believe I would get all the way better. This post just helped to change my mood and outlook completely. And when that fades and the symptoms kick up I'll have the knowledge of what's going on inside physically to cope instead of jumping to the worst possible conclusion. Thank you so much again  :)

Excellent post. You describe damage to the brain similar in area and intensity as E.C.T. Damage to the brain being 'the mechanism of action' for both. FDA approved anti-whatever treatments.crazy- doctors need to make money but not by killing me. 

• 3 weeks later...

So what is happening while tapering down?

Is healing still happening as you go down on doses?

I'm in the middle of a 20mg Valium taper down to 11mg.

Will I not start recovering until I'm completely off?

Scared to death... I have so far to go!

You are healing as you are tapering but it can't be forgotten that there is some medication in your system but it is much less so your brain is relying on less and less of the benzo as you taper and slowly getting itself in balance. It won't be able to be completely balanced until there is no more benzo in your system because there is still benzo floating around. Once there is no more benzo floating around...the brain has the chance to make all the last adjustments it needs to make.

Thanks Hope1962

You are right.. I just have to learn acceptance that only time will

Heal me back to normal.

In the meantime I need to learn better coping techniques until the finish line...