BENZO's STOP TINNITUS BY 90% /PROOF - .GOV REPORT

[Bi...]

LINK TO GOVERNMENT REPORT  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14763233

GABAA-benzodiazepine-chloride receptor-targeted therapy for tinnitus control:

preliminary report.

Shulman A, Strashun AM, Goldstein BA.

Source - Int Tinnitus J. 2002;8(1):30-6.

Martha Entenmann Tinnitus Research Center, Health Science Center at Brooklyn,

State University of New York, Box 1239, 450 Clarkson Avenue, Brooklyn, NY

11203, USA. metrc@inch.com

Abstract,

Our goal was to attempt to establish neuropharmacological tinnitus control (i.e., relief)

with medication directed to restoration of a deficiency in the gamma-aminobutyric

acid-benzodiazepine-chloride receptor in tinnitus patients with a diagnosis of a

predominantly central type tinnitus. Thirty tinnitus patients completed a medical

audiological tinnitus patient protocol and brain magnetic resonance imaging and

single-photon emission computed tomography of brain. Treatment with GABAergic

and benzodiazepine medication continued for 4-6 weeks. A maintenance dose was

continued when tinnitus control was positive. Intake and outcome questionnaires were

completed. Of 30 patients, 21 completed the trial (70%). Tinnitus control lasting from

4-6 weeks to 3 years was reported by 19 of the 21 (90%). The trial was not completed

by 9 of the 30 (30%). No patient experienced an increase in tinnitus intensity or

annoyance. Sequential brain single-photon emission computed tomography in 10

patients revealed objective evidence of increased brain perfusion. Patients with a

predominantly central type tinnitus experience significant tinnitus control with

medication directed to the gamma-aminobutyric acid-benzodiazepine-chloride receptor.

JUST THOUGHT THIS WAS INTERESTING SINCE MY T IS GONE NOW.  91% ???

Bird

I don't think this a big surprise considering tinnitus is a very common symptom in normal anxiety. Personally I think tinnitus is a normal response to threat, because I know when mine is at it's peak, I can hear things from distances that other people don't seem to be able to.

When I was in acute withdrawal in the hospital, the staff were talking about me in a not-so-polite manner from a whole corridor, and three rooms away on the other side of the hospital building. I commented on it, and they said "how the hell did he hear that?". I think tinnitus is meant to increase our sensitivity to sounds so we can hear threats coming from as far away as possible. Take away anxiety = take away threat response = take away tinnitus.

I never had anxiety on Xanax, and I also never had tinnitus. Take away the Xanax.. welcome to the worst tinnitus I've ever had in my life. Sounds like someone has turned up the volume on an industrial stereo to maximum, so you can just hear that annoying hissing. I'm absolutely sure it's the fight or flight response, because when the tinnitus comes on, my gut stops moving and my back and neck tense up. It's basically just a full contraction of almost every muscle in my body (including the little muscles in my ears). Considering benzo's are a muscle relaxant... I can see why they stop tinnitus.

What they also stop is my ability to function as a human being :)

I don't think this a big surprise considering tinnitus is a very common symptom in normal anxiety. Personally I think tinnitus is a normal response to threat, because I know when mine is at it's peak, I can hear things from distances that other people don't seem to be able to.

When I was in acute withdrawal in the hospital, the staff were talking about me in a not-so-polite manner from a whole corridor, and three rooms away on the other side of the hospital building. I commented on it, and they said "how the hell did he hear that?". I think tinnitus is meant to increase our sensitivity to sounds so we can hear threats coming from as far away as possible. Take away anxiety = take away threat response = take away tinnitus.

I never had anxiety on Xanax, and I also never had tinnitus. Take away the Xanax.. welcome to the worst tinnitus I've ever had in my life. Sounds like someone has turned up the volume on an industrial stereo to maximum, so you can just hear that annoying hissing. I'm absolutely sure it's the fight or flight response, because when the tinnitus comes on, my gut stops moving and my back and neck tense up. It's basically just a full contraction of almost every muscle in my body (including the little muscles in my ears). Considering benzo's are a muscle relaxant... I can see why they stop tinnitus.

Interesting observation. I had heightened hearing, it was obnoxious. I couldn't hear the people talking at my table as all the noise in the restaurant was at the same volume. I could also hear my neighbor talking on his phone and tapping on his computer through the wall. So weird.

You are right, it is the flight or fight response, that is what anxiety it. I think that is why it is important to utilize coping skills now even if it doesn't alleviate the symptoms much but can calm them somewhat, my coping strategies that I learned in deep withdrawal have paid off immensely in post wd.

Just being with the uncomfortability of it all, has a "take back some control" of the situation feeling to it. My ears are ringing now, and acceptance is where I put that.

I have read too many recovery stories to not have faith that it will go away. I have witnessed the lessoning in intensity in my own symptoms included quiet days and nights.

Redevan on here comically referred to my tinnitus as "earrings"....lightening up the process has some easy merit to it.

I like your profile pic btw, I have peace earrings that look just like that, cut our silver. I wear them all the time. So much so, they are  trademark in my fb pics. :)

Hope it quiets down for you soon. Get a fan if you don't already have one, or the white noise app on my phone helps. I also used earplugs with my phones music on to seperate myself from the chaos of daily life...shopping etc. something to cover it seems to help.

BTW, after another read and feeling pissed I couldn't comprehend, I get the just of the article your posted, birdman. Which is progress, as I usually go back over things and still get that blank disconnection that makes me feel like I have lost all cognition. At first I was like "How the hell does he gauge that he is 91 percent...then I see, you are adjusting the percentage with your results. Progress for Sarah...thank you for sharing to birdman. :)

S~

Thanks for all your responses.  I find it interesting how we all see to get this SUPER HEARING.  Yes I agree it has to be part of the FIGHT survival strategy. 

The body is interesting. Our body is fighting the benzo as if some flesh eating plant had injected us with it and we needed to fight for survival by neutralizing this paralyzing benzo chemical.  I could see nature manifesting a natural response like that.

Bird

bitrdman, i developed tinnititus while on benzo....no one in my family has ever had it. 2 yrs later i still have it >:(

• 3 weeks later...

hi Gardenia,

The more I read in this forum the more I believe cold turkey is the problem.  This is one reason I know it was smart to reinstate and to do this slow taper correctly.  So far so good, no more tinnitus now.  It may come back at lower doses but I will just hold longer until it settled down.  I read a report that claims WE ALL HAVE TINNITUS and the brain just tunes it out.  BUT if the tinnitus is too loud and lasts to long it become SELF SUSTAINING.  Do you every try white noise therapy with ear phones for 6 hours per day?  MAN it works after about 9 months, tinnitus gone!!

Bird

I never had anxiety on Xanax, and I also never had tinnitus. Take away the Xanax.. welcome to the worst tinnitus I've ever had in my life. Sounds like someone has turned up the volume on an industrial stereo to maximum, so you can

just hear that annoying hissing. I'm absolutely sure it's the fight or flight response, because when the tinnitus comes on, my gut stops moving and my back and neck tense up. It's basically just a full contraction of almost every muscle

in my body (including the little muscles in my ears). Considering benzo's are a muscle relaxant... I can see why they stop tinnitus.

thats exactly how mine is!

• 6 years later...
Benzos can also cause tinnitus from withdrawal. If you developed tinnitus while on benzos, they may be the cause. They are "ototoxic", toxic to the cells in the inner ear. This is the vestibular system and damage to it can cause dizziness, vertigo, or tinnitus (or all 3).

The only benefit the benzos have given me is relief from Tinnitus. My Tinnitus has not gone but has reduced that its now bearable. My mind has adapted to the change and now it feels less bothersome. It has made the frequency constant. Prior it was alterating high low and my mind was unable to adapt it. Prior It's intensity was 30% in right and 80% in left now its almost 05 % in right and 30% in left.