Announcement: It is with regret... ×

Does Fiorinal help Ativan withdrawal?

[Mo...]

If anybody has ever gone this route I am curious.

Would an immediate switch from 3 mg Ativan daily to Fioricet without tapering be safe?

Thank you so much for any information.

switching from a benzo to a barbiturate is the "old school" method of benzo detox; Ashton called it 'barbaric' somewhere in her literature, and most people who have gone that route on here have not recommended it. I think it worked out okay for one or two people, though.

Note that it's also kind of a one way street, in that barbiturates cover for benzo w/d, but benzos will NOT cover for barbiturate withdrawal.

i see from your sig you did one phenobarb crossover already -- and ended up back on benzos? 

Spengler-thanks for the information it will help me when I make a decision on what I should do.

I did well on Phenobarbital to go off Xanax and then chemo made me so sick and Ativan was all that worked. I also had no idea what I was getting into…

Ugh, sounds awful. Well, if the barb taper worked for you before, then you're probably in a better position to judge. Is there any reason you'd try Fiorcet over doing phenobarb again? I see that fiorcet has caffeine in it, which doesn't seem likely to help you.

My current Dr won't to the c/o but my other Dr scripts me 6 daily of the Fioricet. I really just want to get away from sedatives or know I need them the rest of my life.

• 3 weeks later...