Feel Like I'm on a Boat

[dc...]

[dc...]

Ok, this is not so new, but it's getting more intense. I wasn't sure where this would go, so I figured it might very well be a more generalized symptom. I'm talking about dizziness, but it's not just a feeling of light-headedness I'm getting (that's part of it, but not the whole). I also feel as if I'm on a boat that's rocking...

Does this sound familiar to anyone? It's driving me nuts. Just when I thought I was stablizing (better sleep, better mood), I start to feel like I'm taking a cheap cruise...

Pete, a cheap cruise?  :2funny:  But have you ever paid so much for so little?  The returns on this journey are not very good.

I, personally, have not had the dizziness but I know of people who have.  When they walked they felt very unstable, and the only thing they did was ride it out.  Taking meds was the the only answer they found and that's not an answer at all.  Theirs didn't last long and I hope yours doesn't either. 

Have you changed anything in your eating, supplements etc...?  If so that may add to the dizziness. 

[dc...]

Well, as cheap cruises go, I'm eating pretty well!

In answer to your question, no, I haven't changed any of my eating habits nor have I added any supplements. It's not something that I notice all day - it's a rather annoying feeling I get off an on through the day. If it's being caused by the taper, well, I'll roll with it. There is NO WAY I'd ever go back to that poison. Granted, I still have a ways to go, but I'm sure it'll all suss itself out eventually.  :D

Pete, I had this a little with benzo wd, but I had it big time with paxil and lexapro wd! Just turning my head would make me want to throw up.  :sick:

Hi Pete,

Just wanted to post this discussion from the Ashton Manual about your "free cruise feeling"....

"Problems with balance. Some people during benzodiazepine withdrawal report feeling unsteady on their feet; sometimes they feel they are being pushed to one side or feel giddy, as if things were going round and round. An important organ in controlling motor stability and maintaining equilibrium is a part of the brain called the cerebellum. This organ is densely packed with GABA and benzodiazepine receptors (See Chapter I) and is a prime site of action of benzodiazepines. Excessive doses of benzodiazepines, like alcohol, cause unsteadiness of gait, slurred speech and general incoordination, including inability to walk in a straight line. It may take some time for the cerebellar systems to restabilise after benzodiazepine withdrawal and the symptoms can last until this process is complete. Exercises, such as standing on one leg, first with eyes open, then with eyes closed, can speed recovery."

Hi Pete

Sure it can be related to benzo's, Just as a precaution though is there anyway to check your BP when your feeling iffy?

More likely than not ,its not related, but it couldnt hiurt

Take care

Bobers

[dc...]
Ok, I had another episode and decided to check my bp and it's fine. I guess I'll just chalk this up as another warm and wonderful wd experience. The funny thing is, none of these symptoms are consistent. One day it's nausea and no sleep, the next day I sleep like a baby, but am dizzy... very weird. Unpleasant, sure, but I'll roll with it. :) 

Ok, I had another episode and decided to check my bp and it's fine. I guess I'll just chalk this up as another warm and wonderful wd experience. The funny thing is, none of these symptoms are consistent. One day it's nausea and no sleep, the next day I sleep like a baby, but am dizzy... very weird. Unpleasant, sure, but I'll roll with it. :) 

Isn't that irritating?  It's very normal but can drive you a little  :crazy:

I've had this recently...so bad I couldn't drive....but it comes and goes, so don't worry...it's a passing sign of recovery.  I think it is the cerebellum reasserting its rightful place in recovery.  Janus

I get this sx once in a while, usually when I'm lying in bed or on the couch. everything seems to start rocking back and forth, just like in a boat.

It freaked me out at first but now i know it's just another sx that will pass.

Maybe I should check my blood pressure?

[dc...]
I really hate it and it seems to be the dominant side effect for me. It's a horrible feeling and it gets worse every day. Honestly, at first it was a minor inconvenience, now it's becoming a real problem...  :sick:

Pete,

Your taper is a bit aggressive, you may want to hold a little longer and see if this clears? Take care!

T2  :smitten:

[dc...]
Honestly, I think you're probably right. However, it's usually only bad for the few days after I've made my cut. Once I hit 9-10 days, I feel relatively decent. I will certainly watch this, though, as you've probably hit the nail on the head... maybe I'm going faster than my brain will allow...

• 3 weeks later...

:wacko:

I have had that feeling for the last couple of days. I have felt that way before. I figured it was low blood sugar. It usually occurs to me around 10-3.00. Once the afternoon hits, I don't seem to feel that bad.  I am almost to the 10% cut mark- Friday I will hit that one.  If I force myself to go to the gym, or do some inline skating or something,then it seems to help.

More will be revealed. I am taking my taper very slowly, and thank God I have plenty of pills if I need to slow down.  I have labeled them with a MR. Yuk ( remember him) sign, as I do NOT like the feeling.

It appers that I notice when the medication hits me now that I am on the taper. Before, I just sort of did my thing and did not notice the drugged feeling which I detest.

• 5 weeks later...

Pete,

I have had this sx all the way through and far more intensely when having aw/d flare up.  Lying on bed feels like the bedis tilting and sometimes rocking back and forth.  Really bad if lie flat onmy back-I feel like i need to hold on!  In flare ups gets so bad struggle to stand and spend days on couch crawling to toilet only!  But this bad stuff does pass like all else.  It is the cerebellum healing (and most of the gaba receptors affected by benzos are there) so I guess we have to accept that its healing takingplace where its needed!

Spring :D

• 5 weeks later...

Pete,

Oh my god yes, I'm switching over from xanax to clonopin before I taper and I feel like I just got off a week cruise. If you have ever been on a cruise, I think the term is getting your "land legs" back. Kind feels like your rocking a little, but your not  :wacko:. I totally feel you buddy, your not alone!

• 3 weeks later...
Ive had the "on a boat" symptom since i came off completely, no matter what i try and do i feel like im rocking, please tell me it goes as its been 18 days free and no let up yet!