Autonomic nerves system

[ja...]

Can benzo withdrawal affect our autonomic nerves system???? Please google autonomic dysfunction if you don't understand. Your help is greatly appreciated

Hi Jake,

100% YES!

What symptoms do you have that made you think about this?

feel free to join the conversation here - trying to keep the thread active

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=77192.0

I was in ativan w/d when I got diagnosed with an autonomic nervous system (ANS) disorder called POTS (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome). My dr put me on klonopin at that point - ironic, no? Now that I've tapered off the k and most of my POTS meds, my POTS symptoms seem to be slowly but surely disappearing...Strange stuff. The jury is still out in my case though.

If you search the forum for dysautonomia or POTS you should be able to find several hits.

Amy

Amy,

Just went to a really good neurologist complaining about never having the urge to move bowels. She examined all my mri's for degenerative disc disorder and she does not think the problem lies there. She also reviewed all the GI tests which everything is normal and the GI says I have IBS since he can't find anything wrong. The neurologist thinks it could be related to autonomic dysfunction and she has ordered all these out of the ordinary lab tests and she is referring me to the Mayo clinic. I am just so puzzled that benzos can affect us in this way. Autonomic dysfunction can affect the diggestive system. I am so depressed. I hate fu...ing  benzos

I go for weeks with no urge.  I have to use milk of magnesia to deal during withdrawal. I never thought to have it checked out because I assumed it was withdrawal? 

Oh yeah!!  Totally serious!!  I just haven't worried about it because my body is so out of whack right now.  One time a Dr told me that some people naturally only go 2x a week and that's just their rate.  With withdrawal I have long times of C and then sudden D. 

Kiki,

Are you serious? Weeks without an urge? I freak out if I don't go everyday.

I'm with you there, although I've started not to worry so much about it anymore. If I don't get that "urge" like I usually do when I wake up in the morning, I freak out thinking something is wrong. For the last five months.. I would only get this mental feeling/cue like I needed to go, even though I wasn't sure. Now it's like the nerves are starting to come back again. I don't think it's any coincidence that numbness/tingling is such a widespread symptom.. because I know that over the last week or so as most of my body has started to get that pins and needs feeling back, like when you sleep on your arm overnight and then it starts to feel tingly and painful first.. before you get feeling back... that my bowels are doing the same thing.

It's like I've slept on my whole body.. inside and out.. for the last 5 months and it's only now it's deciding to ever so slowly go through that painful and uncomfortable process of expanding and supplying blood flow, etc.

Perhaps TMI  :P