Announcement: It is with regret... ×

My nerves are shot - any safe way to calm down without drugs?

[Th...]

Very stressed and anyway to calm down without medications?

Thunder

"This too shall pass"

"When going through hell, keep on going"

it's very hard. With practice, things like meditation and yoga appear to help a lot of people increase their distress tolerance and achieve an overall lower baseline level of anxiety, but there's no such thing as a magic bullet that stops it in its tracks the same way that a benzo will (which is the blessing of benzos -- the curse being their tendency to make such problems worse over time).

A few times when I've been in a state of what feels like intolerability, I've tried to lie fairly still and follow along to a long guided meditation, such as http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aoOlUWO_ak -- and I'd suspect that if you can do something like that on a regular basis, it might go a long way towards helping you not fall into real acute distress. It's hard to learn those skills in a place of severe suffering, though.

There are numerous non-drug relaxation techniques available. If you can't teach yourself these techniques, then spring for therapy with a Psychologist. (Psychologists cannot prescribe meds in the USA. Stay away from Psychiatrists because they are pill pushers.)

I taught myself meditation. I downloaded mp3's from the iTunes store on the topic "guided meditation."

Westerners are often turned off immediately by this topic because they have the wrong idea about it. It is really nothing more than breath control. You don't "think about" anything, and you don't contemplate your navel. In fact, the idea is to think about nothing at all.

At my worst I used guided relaxation techniques 2 - 3 times a day. Now I don't feel the need to do it as often.

• 2 weeks later...

I did a ton of research on this and was scared to try anything. I finally did try L-Theanine. It works but only after taking 400mg consistently for about 2 weeks everyday...then it kicks in. It is different for everyone. I agree with the meditation and even acupuncture too!

Best wishes

Are you able to do light exercise?  Walking helps me especially if I try to notice things around me, swimming helps also. 

Healthy distractions like mindless or funny TV, a trashy magazine etc, online crosswords even...

It's important to re-learn healthy ways of stress management and "tuning out".

love gts

okay, don't laugh, but you could try crochet or knitting. Great way to keep your hands occupied and work off a little nervous energy. I find knitting too hard, but crochet is just the right amount of repetitiveness to be relaxing.