Two simple but powerful tips from my therapist

[Ev...]

Hello buddies -

I posted this on the main board but realized it should have been here.

These tips have helped me through the most debilitating anxiety attacks, the kind where my arms and legs are shaking uncontrollably and I feel like I'm about to pass out.  Irrational anxiety and terror been my worst withdrawal symptoms, and I sincerely hope these techniques can bring relief to some of you too.

1) MIXING THE CAKE BATTER

OK, that's my name for this technique.  I believe it actually comes from the "Brain Gym" program.  The theory behind this is similar to part of the theory behind EMDR, which is used in treating post traumatic stress disorder: that movement that crosses the center meridian of the body is calming to the brain, engaging both of its hemispheres.

a) Clasp your hands with your fingers interlocked but not your thumbs.  Your thumbs are pointing up and your thumbnails are facing you.  Hold your hands at approximately eye level.

b) Slowly, move your hands in a long, horizontal Figure 8, parallel to the floor.  Imagine you're stirring a huge bowl of cake batter.  Keep your head still and centered, and follow your thumb nails with your eye movements only.  Slow and relaxed movements.  Keep your focus on your thumbnails.   

c) Mentally, or better yet out loud, repeat an affirmation, such as "I am calm.  I am healing". 

Sometimes it takes a minute or two for the brain to "let go" and release the anxiety cycle it was in, but this technique has never failed to calm me down and slow my heart rate.  Eventually I can feel the anxiety melting away with each repetition of the Figure 8. I think of it as the "big gun" in my tool box of calming techniques, and use it in my worst situations.

2) HOLDING ACUPRESSURE POINTS

For this technique, press each of the acupressure points listed below while taking three slow, deep breaths in and out through your nose.  Don't force the air in or out, let it be slow and natural.  Again, repeating a mental or verbal affirmation while doing this helps.  The affirmation engages your frontal lobe while the pressure points send a calm signal to your  amygdalla, the"fight or flight" part of the brain.  Visualize the tension melting and flowing away with each exhalation.

These acupressure points are also used in EFT or "tapping", another technique I've noticed a few other benzo buddies have posted about using. Use both hands, so that you're stimulating the pressure points on both sides of your face.  The acupressure points are:

a) The spot where your eyebrows meet the bridge of your nose.  Three slow breaths.

b) The side of your eyes, right on the edge of the bone there.  Three slow breaths.

c) Underneath your eyes, right on the edge of the bone there.  Three slow breaths.

d) Under your nose.  Three slow breaths.

e) The crease of your chin.  Three slow breaths.

Repeat the process until you feel your calm return. 

3) LASTLY

For those that might want to try EFT or tapping too, here's a link I found with a good introductory video to the technique:  http://eft.mercola.com/ 

Hang in there everyone, we WILL all get through this! 

what direction do the hands go in the figure eight? in front in an up and down or flat with the hands the same distance form the floor?  thanks so much!  Need every technique known! :o

Mizchulita, I'm so glad it helped!  I don't know where I'd be without these tools, they've brought me through some terrible moments.

LostMeFindingMe - the figure eight is flat with your hands always the same distance from the floor. Imagine that one end of the eight is to your right and the other end to your left, with the "crossing point" right in front of you.  I'm with you, I'll try every tool I can to find relief!

All the best -

Evergreen