had a panic attack and ended up in the ER a few hours ago!

[dr...]

So I had a panic attack a few hours ago while I was laying down to go to sleep. I ended up in the ER and the doctors looked at me like I was crazy and it was anxiety. I knew they would react that way by the look on their faces. They asked me if I took my ativan medication today and I responded furiously that I stopped taking it over 2 weeks ago. Told him I didn't have anxiety and he looked at me all crazy. But now I suspect gastritis or something similar is causing my heart to beat fast. I did eat a lot of bread today which I think is the culprit. But I ask myself why hasn't my doctor diagnosed me with anything yet after so much blood tests and xrays. This is frustrating. I haven't had one of these attacks in almost a month. Any theories?

Hi Drugfree

I sorry , you ended in ER. I think is bread too . Most the time is food what trigger my w/d back .  I hope you feel better soon .

I had month 4 one panic after other , then stop and never after .

:smitten:

So I had a panic attack a few hours ago while I was laying down to go to sleep. I ended up in the ER and the doctors looked at me like I was crazy and it was anxiety. I knew they would react that way by the look on their faces. They asked me if I took my ativan medication today and I responded furiously that I stopped taking it over 2 weeks ago. Told him I didn't have anxiety and he looked at me all crazy. But now I suspect gastritis or something similar is causing my heart to beat fast. I did eat a lot of bread today which I think is the culprit. But I ask myself why hasn't my doctor diagnosed me with anything yet after so much blood tests and xrays. This is frustrating. I haven't had one of these attacks in almost a month. Any theories?

I'll tell you how I stopped going to the ER, but you won't like it. After multiple trips and being made to feel like an idiot, I just decided to stop going.

I can't really blame the ER docs because their job is just to stabilize someone who is seriously ill, and then hand them off to an attending physician. Doctors are not educated to treat benzo withdrawal, nor are they trained to deal with it. If you were really dying they could have helped you, but you weren't dying were you?

So I just decided that going to the ER was a waste of time. One characteristic of panic attacks is that they don't last long. You are writing a post two hours after a visit to the ER. You didn't die, did you? Your visit was worthwhile because it showed you that you were not really dying, so there is nothing life threatening to worry about.

Whatever caused your discomfort is irreleant. It was not life threatening. If bread bothers you then don't eat it. But the only solution is to learn to cope with the uncomfortable feeling that you are dying. I know its not what you want to hear, and it's not what I want to hear either. But after a number of wasted trips to the ER, you will eventually stop going and conclude there is nothing life threatening happening to you.

To me this is one of the most difficult problems to deal with:  we go through hell, live these incredibly awful terror attacks, feel like we are going to die, even have this loud 'message' in us that we ARE dying!  It is so very difficult!  Have you ever felt more alone than during one of these?  so in my case I turn, like an addict, to the medical system, the one that failed me so many times, that got me to take these poisons in the first place.  We are so trained to look to that system for help!  So in a moment of desperation and fear, we turn to them again.  They are very limited in what they can do, as it was described here...Everyone tells me that I am being stupid to turn to them again or even think that they can help me.  Well, we are fallible, we are suffering. There are times when we don't feel that we can manage alone, too frightened.  I understand truly why you went.  I also believe that they cannot help unless we have a physical life threatening problem.  Yet I still think that way at times - go get help from a doctor!  It is just so trained in...I have found so much more help here than I ever have elsewhere!  What is missing for me is that human contact - a live person to be there and say what will help, hold my hand, whatever!  do you have someone who could do that?  If not I know it can be painful for me to even mention it.  I am alone except for my son and daughter who have so many life challenges themselves.  We have come through this so far to be more there for each other, more supportive.  Still lots to work on, to heal...

You have had this very rough time.  Use everything you can, reach out to real people, reach out here, take care of yourself and feel the caring.  Believe in the healing process.  Reach out to whatever you believe spiritually.  I am not preaching, just saying what I spent two hours saying to myself this morning during MY rough time...I don't know if it can help you. I hope so.  We are all suffering here and know some of what you are going through...please keep posting, trying to work it through and share?

Hello Drugfree -

I've been in exactly your situation too.  Sitting in the ER, certain that my racing heart, muscle tremors, etc were not anxiety.  My MIND wasn't anxious about anything, so how could it be anxiety?  The problem is is that benzos can put your BODY into a severe anxiety state even though your mind might not be. 

I've noticed that those of us who've taken Ativan in particular seem to have anxiety as one of our stronger withdrawal issues.  And it does come and go.  I actually was hit hard with anxiety attacks again in my fourth and sixth months off after a month or two with hardly any issues.

My therapist showed me some techniques that can override our over-wrought brains and send "calm" signals to the body. They've saved my sanity several times when I've reached that "need to go the ER" level.  After practicing them a few times I've gained the confidence that I can get through this on my own.

I just posted the techniques to the Anxiety board:  http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=77871.0

I  hope they're helpful.

Evergreen

Somebody said they can't really blame the doctors in the ER, but everyday veterans and civilians commit suicide. There has got to be a better way than to be treated like an idiot when you go to the ER with anxiety. Suicide is serious Doesn't that require some medical attention? I mean some anxious people just can't stand it.

I talked to one psychologist who said his girlfriend had anxiety and when all else failed, she went to the emergency room, where they knew her and they ran tests. Gee, how wonderful for her. That has never happened to me and I've been left alone in a room screaming with anxiety because no one cared. Like the person that said that they simply stopped going, that's what I did. But it isn't right. People get treated for all sorts of things in the emergency room, why are we the underdog? Oh, and the hospital where I was treated so poorly had an empty waiting room.  Guess they don't need the money either.  I think slowly the U.S. is waking up to benzo withdrawal, but it is SLOW.

CG,

I feel the same way. Within minutes of going into the ER I told myself it would be better to just leave instead of being admitted. This is based on my past experiences from trips to the ER. They just look at you like you are crazy. Most of the nurses just smirked at me like there wasn't anything serious wrong with me. And when you have anxiety the first thing they want to do is prescribe benzos so you can become addicted and it gets worse. I've heard it many times but until recently I found out that majority of hospitals and doctors in the US just want to make money. I mean hospitals and pharmaceutical companies make billions of dollars every year from prescribing these types of drugs. Why should they care what happens after they prescribe it? I mean it's so sickening to think how they don't care. I wish I lived in Europe or Canada where the medicare is much better. At this point if I have another attack I'll just have to wait it out even if takes a long time. According to them my heart and oxygen is fine so I'll just have to stick it out and discontinue wasting money on them.

A panic attack IS anxiety ------ do you know this?

No, cant totally blame the er docs - it is not life threatening, tho a panic attack sure feels like your gonna die. Yes, they may be impatient with you- its not personal - its because they are jammed full of people in all sorts of trouble, and too many of those patients really do not need an ER for whats wrong. ERs have become a "walk in clinic" for a lot of people...and then, when someone REALLY needs life saving help, they are too busy.

Now, if you went in feeling suicidal - I am positive they would take notice. And you know what would happen then? Off youd go, to the local looney bin.

OK. Anxiety/panic attacks - make your heart beat fast. Its purely a physiological response. Your brain and body are screaming "OMG HELP ME! IM GONNA DIE! RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!! RUN!! This is called the "fight or flight" response. Its normal, and a healthy way your body responds to a perceived threat.

Its doubtful that eating bread caused it. Or gastritis. You stopped taking Ativan 2 weeks ago, right? You are in withdrawal and bad anxiety is a classic symptom.

Sorry- but the majority of medical professionals are NOT out "just to make money." Good heavens, getting a medical degree takes years and years, and they end up in incredible debt for that education. And nowadays, doctors do NOT make enormous amounts of money!!!  And their malpractice insurance costs are enormous.

Hospitals do NOT make any money off prescribing benzos or any other drug. Drug companies - yes, THEY do. Focus your anger on them, if you really need to be angry at someone.

eastcoast

Don't know how I got the job of defending the ER docs, but...

What do you expect them to do? Their training in trauma care has the goal of stabilizing a person who is in mortal danger. Once stabilized, the patient is turned over to an attending physician. They are great with gunshot wounds, strokes, heart attacks, drug overdose, etc.

Tell me specifically...What should the ER doc do for a disease that has no cure, but is not life threatening???

If forced to treat anxiety, an ER doc would probably push 10mg Ativan and release you.

Psychiatrists do not have privileges at hospitals (thank God) so the ER doc can't call one in. Personally, I would rather be thrown out into the snow than see another Psychiatrist anyway.

There is no treatment for the disease we have in 2013 medicine. When we can't get help elsewhere we can do our best to help ourselves, or assume the fetal position and give up.

alot of ppl who have panic attacks have chest pain and think theyre having a heart attack.

The ER doc will run tests and release you 4 to 6 hours later.  After about the 3rd false alarm, this gets a little old.

This may be a dumb question, but how does bread cause a panic attack?

OP, I'm sorry this happened for you.  Hope you're feeling better.

It is ... weird.... to see the replies here.  I am surprised.  It is hell to go through a sever panic attack, especially if you are also sick and reacting to something.  Been there done that.  Hell.  After several 'visits' to ER and a month in hospital because of the codeine C/T, I would rather die than go back.  Today tho', being hit with a Tsunami sized wave, I caved and thought about it.  Anything to make it stop. 

I would like to say tho', after having lived it and seeing my son and daughter and many other people go through it, that food CAN cause very severe reactions... The first food that I was tested sensitive to, corn, only took .3 part per million to make me react:  BP dropped to shock levels, passed out, then was in for many hours of very sever upper body pain, then 4 hours of suicidal depression (on the phone to the Crisis Centre the whole time) and more nasty symptoms for a couple more days.  I am on a very restricted diet because of the many foods that I react to.  the Benzo wd has made it worse.  It is just another layer of awful.  I don't believe anyone whould be told that they are ... anything... because they could not take the fear that they were having a physical life threatening problem while having a severe panic attack.  just my opinion on a very bad day...

[15...]

Psychiatrists do not have privileges at hospitals (thank God) so the ER doc can't call one in. Personally, I would rather be thrown out into the snow than see another Psychiatrist anyway.

There is no treatment for the disease we have in 2013 medicine. When we can't get help elsewhere we can do our best to help ourselves, or assume the fetal position and give up.

Where are you getting this information from. ER's do have Psychiatrists on staff and all call and privileges?? To be admitted you have to be seen by a psychiatrist in the ER, after medical clearance. Why do you keep giving out this misinformation? Most hospitals have psych wards, you mean to tell me you believe these wards work without psychiatrist.

I'm sorry but this is maddening, you keep giving advice as if you're sure and that's absolutely untrue, that ER's don't allow Psychiatrist hospital privileges.

Most hospitals have psych wards, you mean to tell me you believe these wards work without psychiatrist.

I'm sorry but this is maddening, you keep giving advice as if you're sure and that's absolutely untrue, that ER's don't allow Psychiatrist hospital privileges.

Where I live this is absolutely true. There are English speakers on this forum from England, the USA, Canada, Australia, and other places. I can only speak for where I live. Here Psychiatrists only have privileges at Psyciatric hospitals that are dedicated to the treatment of mental disorder. Psychiatrists are also in private practice. Family doctors here do not refer to Psychiatrists. If they think it is appropriate, they advise a patient to seek out a Psychiatrist on their own. My private insurance will pay for Psychiatric care. Not all insurance will pay.

Where I live the ER is called the ED (Emergency Department). I visited the ED three times in 2012. There are no Psychiatrists on staff at the hospital, and it has no psych ward. There are five large hospitals within a 30 kilometer range of my flat. None of them have any Psychiatrists on staff, nor do they have psych wards.

[15...]

Most hospitals have psych wards, you mean to tell me you believe these wards work without psychiatrist.

Where I live this is absolutely true. There are English speakers on this forum from England, the USA, Canada, Australia, and other places. I can only speak for where I live. Here Psychiatrists only have privileges at Psyciatric hospitals that are dedicated to the treatment of mental disorder. Psychiatrists are also in private practice. Family doctors here do not refer to Psychiatrists. If they think it is appropriate, they advise a patient to seek out a Psychiatrist on their own. My private insurance will pay for Psychiatric care. Not all insurance will pay.

Where I live the ER is called the ED (Emergency Department). I visited the ED three times in 2012. There are no Psychiatrists on staff at the hospital, and it has no psych ward. There are five large hospitals within a 30 kilometer range of my flat. None of them have any Psychiatrists on staff, nor do they have psych wards.

Exactly and since the OP used the term, ER, instead of ED, it's likely he may have access to psysh's where he lives.

We're all in crisis here, hypersensitive, reaching out for an advice. So if you're not sure if that person has the same set off services that you personally experience, telling them to deal with it or just crawl up in the fetal position IMHO can be devastating. Might be a good idea to inquire if that person lives in an area where ER's don't have psych, before making blanket statements that none do.

Ive bee a nurse in 4 states in the US. That's 4 hospitals that I worked in, from a suburban small hospital to a big city one.......every one had a psychiatrist "on call." However, its not likely they'd be called in unless the er patient was threatening suicide or harm to other people. They are "on call", meaning they agree to be available for emergenices, and its almost always during their own work day.

But I suppose it is different depending on where you live, how sophisticated the hospital is, etc. Most hospitals in the US do NOT have psych wards. But they always will have somewhere where truly suicidal or homicidal people can be sent, either forced to or on a voluntary status.

ER and ED are interchangeable terms, here in the US. No difference whatsoever.

If someone comes into an ER complaining of chest pain, anxiety - a decent ER will run the tests to rule out heart problems. And if they are negative, it becomes clear that the person "only" has bad anxiety. And that is not an emergency to medical personnel. It is not personal, their impatience is mostly just being overworked, underpaid, frustrated with the system, etc.

There ARE medical personnel who have no bedside manner, who are abrupt, rude, downright ignorant. And theres no excuse for them.

Did you know that ER doctors have a high rate of drug abuse? They do.

eastcoast

i cant imagine working in an er, it must take a certain kind of person.

yrs ago, my grandmother had a crisis, was hallucinating etc she had no prior psyche probs....we took her to er and right awat they admitted her to psyche unit and was given haldol. it was horrible, she kept falling etc.

my mother really complained abd they quit giving it.

it sure turned me away from er.

they are too busy to help. a psyche ward is not too nice. just lots of drugs:(

I really hate that feeling of going to the ER and having them find nothing wrong. It can be a humiliating experience although to be honest I've done it about a dozen times in the past 10 years and I've never felt like a nurse or doctor there didn't take me seriously. They all understand anxiety because it's common for someone to come in with chest pains or other serious symptoms and have it turn out to be anxiety related. But I've never had them ignore me or not run tests to rule out the life threatening issues, and they all say the same thing when I tell them how silly I feel: you did the right thing, you were right to come in and make sure. I'm sure if I was there every other day, it'd get old.

However, not every fruitless trip to the ER meant there was nothing wrong with me. Quite a few times I ended up feeling silly in the ER, only to find out that I did have something else going on such as retinal lesions, migraines, and vestibular neuronitis. It took specialized tests to find those issues and while I had awful symptoms, they weren't life threatening so the ER doctors weren't trying to look for them.

The ER is going to try to shove benzos down your throat, and may likely do so without even asking for your consent first. So be proactive and ask about everything they shove in to your IV. You will get the funny looks the moment you refuse a drug and that's where the problems usually start. Doctor's don't generally like to be disagreed with. I find a good compromise is to ask for a 'doggy bag'... say "I feel okay now, maybe I can get some pills to go so I can use it later if I need it" so you're not refusing the drug but you're in control over taking it.

Thats a good idea, the "doggy bag."

But, at least here in the US, they could not put benzos or something else like them, in your iv bag or give you a pill without giving your information....its called "informed consent." However, their teaching may be rather short and not clear, so we have to ask questions and demand we get complete answers.

Come to think of it, Im not real sure most benzos would be compatible in an iv solution. I do know Ativan is often given "IV push". Hmmm.......benzo brain's got me again.

eastcoast

My experience with NY/New England hospitals is that a nurse walks in with medicine and they'll say something like "the doctor ordered XYZ to help you and you shouldn't have any side effects" and then they within 30 seconds have the needle in the IV tube receptacle thing. Having been around long enough to know that the latter half of the statement is usually a lie when it comes to my body, I've learned to ask what they are giving.

To be honest, I'm not sure I've ever refused a drug.

However, I've also woken up to them putting drugs in to me. If I fall asleep and the order comes in, they usually don't wake me and simply put the drugs in. I don't know if informed consent is covered by all the waivers I sign before I'm admitted or what.

I don't mean to imply that it's common or legal or what. But in my experience the meds come quick and sometimes without warning so if you're conscious about it you need to be quick on your toes to make sure you're staying in the loop.

i cant imagine working in an ER...

This is how it works where I live:

I have friends who are doctors. Some docs LOVE ER work. Why? Because the pay is very good, and because the hours are regular. ER docs are never on call, so once they leave hospital, they are 100% off duty. Plus, they never need to follow up with a patient after they stabilise and admit or release them.

The hours are good also. Sometimes they work three 12 hour shifts and then are off for four days. On for four and off for three is also common. And they are never on call, so when off duty they need no pagers or cell phones.

I understand that in the US it is such a desirable job that only top candidates can get a residency in ER work. That means that it attracts some of the top medical students. Others don't like it, of course, and opt for other residencies. Residencies are competitive, so a student must apply for several residencies because the process of matching students to residencies is so competitive. Residents have graduated and are already doctors, so residency is the final step after clinical rotations, and before board certification.

I also understand that before residency training many doctors do a stint in the ER whilst completing their clinical rotations. Even your family practitioner may have done a clinical rotation in ER, cardiology, etc., as part of his training. He did his residency in family practice, of course.

I worked in several teaching hospitals, one in Washington DC and another up in Boston. All interns did an ER rotation.

I did not know the pay for an ER doc is better. I wonder why? Man, they must have to pay HUGE amounts for malpractice!

I didn't mean to spark just an intense debate. I guess it's just frustrating for someone going through this only to have doctors look at you like you are crazy. Which is why after arriving at the hospital I told the doctor that there was no need to take blood tests. It would of been a waste of time since I've had blood drawn 4 times in the past 2 months only to have everything normal except for lack of vitamin d and high amylase from my pancreas. I knew as soon as I got there that I should of just stuck it out and it would of passed. Which is why I avoided it for 3 weeks even though I was suffering. Now I am determined not to go no matter how tough it gets because this is a battle I have to fight myself. At first I didn't know how to cope with it but now as time goes by and with the help of BB I know I can get through this.