Announcement: It is with regret... ×

Taper Advice and short term user info

[my...]

I took 1mg of ativan and 30mg of temazepam for 39 days.  I tried to quit cold turkey, no good but started up again on 15mg of temazepam and .75 of ativan, have reduced to 7.5mg of temazepam and .25 mg of ativan.  Am starting to get some bad withdrawal now, Wondering if I should stay here until I stablise? (it has been one week) and then what or how to drop?  Does anyone know about how long symptoms remain after tototally off of the pills after a short term use??  Has anyone used Noni juice or valerian?

Thanks,

mylosmiles

Welcome Mylosmiles,

It is best to taper off the ativan (I am not familar with temazepam). Since it has been a week you may want to try to ride it out, but if the w/d symptoms become too intense, you may re-instate by the smallest amount possible to make you comfortable, then stabilize and begin tapering again. Someone else should be along to help you out with other options and who is more familar with temazepam. You might have tried to reduce your dosage too much too soon.

Hang in there!  :)

Mylosmiles,

Trying to taper off both at the same time may also have contributed to your w/d s/x in addition to tapering too fast. You should reduce your amounts and hold for at least for a week or two before reducing again. As I mentioned someone else should be along to give you additional advice.

T2

I have 1mg ativan and 15mg temazepan (I have cut these in 1/2) and I take 1/4 of 1mg ativan

Hi,

As Theresa suggested, you should taper off one benzo at a time. These two benzos have similar half-life values (how long it takes for half of the benzo in your bloodstream to be metabolised), so one is no better than the other (it usually beneficial to use a longer half-life benzo, so avoiding interdose withdrawal symptoms). It is helpful (almost essential) that you obtain the lowest dose available in your benzos when tapering off. Temazepam is available in 7.5mg, and Ativan in 0.5mg tablets You do not need to get both of these, as you can use one to offset the other (1mg Ativan is usually taken to be equivalent to about 20mg Temazepam - milage will vary though).

You might titrate these pills (make a liquid from them) to make smaller cuts, especially if you cannot obtain the lower dose pills. We can help you with titration if the need arises.

Since your use has been pretty short, you should aim to quit sooner rather than later. This includes attempting a faster withdrawal than most of our member would consider. The chances are that you have not yet fully developed dependency, but that fact that you are expereincing problems quitting suggests that you are developing dependency. I suggest that you obtain the lower dose pills and continue by making cuts to just one of the benzos. Let me know what dose tablets you can obtain and I will then suggest the cuts to make.

I think that I screwed up my own week by taking some Noni (recommended by CITA) very bad as it took all the drugs out of my system, after that I took some Valarian which helped with sleep but lite up the withdrawal symtoms.  I am planning to stabalize a few days off of both supplements and then drop the last ativan.  One week later or so drop the other one.

I take the ativan at 2pm and the other one at 8 pm of course during that time I am fairly stable until about 5:30 AM and then I have some problems.  I don't know if you consider that stable or not.

I of course want these drugs out of my system, I am hoping that the withdrawal symtoms will end fairly quickly as I was such a short term user.

All advice welcomed

Mylosmiles

keep it to ativan only, and do what I did. I also took it short term, give or take a few more times than you and was taking 2 mg. I cut my dosage by .5 every 3 days and was done with it in no time. The withdrawals were very minute until my dosage was reduced to .5 and then thats when it started hurting, but all in all it wasnt too bad. Try and spread your dosage out. I first did it 4 times a day. I would take .5 when i awoke at 6 am, another one at 12pm, another at 5 pm, and finally another at 10 pm at bed time. after 3 days I cut out the 5 pm dose, another 3 days got rid of the 12 pm dose, 3 days later cut the 6 am dose, and three days later I quit. When my dose dropped to .5 my sleep dropped to about 3-4 hours a night, and stayed that way for about a month, but other than that i wasnt too bad off as far as other withdrawal symptoms. This schedule was drawn up by a psychiatrist, so its pretty safe i take it. He also prescribed trazadone 50 mg and told me to take 1 at bed time, and increase it to 100 mg if that doesnt work. I found that melatonin worked just as well me so I dont know if you need the trazadone. Try avoiding alcohol, coffee, or sugar, and try picking up some deep breathing techniques when trying to sleep and also progressive muscle relaxation. This worked out well for me, and I suggest you do the same to avoid having to go through a really long  tapering process. Good luck and just remember its only temporary

Hi MY

]I would only say that what works for one person may not work for another, you MUST see how you respond to your own taper. Going by someone elses taper rate is not always the exact answer, If it works for YOU is what you should be asking yourself. The advise we usually give is a 10% reduction every 7-14 days

Bobers

ok, I dropped the ativan and equalized fairly well in about 5 days, I just dropped the restoril and am having a terrible time, should I add the full 7.5 back in tonight and then stablize before I start dropping again?

Need some help please,

Mylosmiles

Hi Myolsmiles,

I don't have the expertise to counsel you regarding your restoril taper or reinstatement. Generally speaking, taper recommendations are 10% reduction over 7 to 14 days and reinstatement should be the lowest amount needed to stabilize, then begin taper. You may want to post your taper request in the "Planning your Taper" forum, this may expedite some help with this. Congratulations on quitting ativan, that's a great achievement!

Take care!

T2  :smitten: