Switching from Wellbutrin to Prozac?

[re...]

Hi everyone,

I currently take 150 Mg of Wellbutrin once a day and find it is not working that great. My doctor changed me to 20 mg of Prozac. I always have a terrible time switching SSRI's and want to know if anyone has taken a combo of these drugs for a short period of time?

The doctor says "oh, just stop the Wellbutrin and take the prozac the next day". I feel really apprehensive about this and was thinking that I could take the prozac with the wellbutrin for a few days to a week maybe to have it build up before coming off?

Thanks

Restless1

Hi: Just wanted to welcome you, someone may have an answer, but we have more knowledge in regards to Benzos.

Take Care

Bobers

You know what? I replied to your post here a couple of hours ago, and it's not here!! What the heck?

I'll post it again, if I remember what I said.  :laugh:

Hi everyone,

I currently take 150 Mg of Wellbutrin once a day and find it is not working that great. My doctor changed me to 20 mg of Prozac. I always have a terrible time switching SSRI's and want to know if anyone has taken a combo of these drugs for a short period of time?

The doctor says "oh, just stop the Wellbutrin and take the prozac the next day". I feel really apprehensive about this and was thinking that I could take the prozac with the wellbutrin for a few days to a week maybe to have it build up before coming off?

Thanks

Restless1

Wellbutrin can be stopped without  long tapering, At least cut your 150 in half, for a week or so, then go off. My p doc says his patients actually go from higher doses, step down to 150 and then go off. He said I could go to 75 and then off if that was more comfortable. But I had absolutely no wd symptoms. It works on different receptors than the more difficult drugs like ssri's and benzos.

Wellbutrin and ssri's can be taken together. In fact they are often prescribed together to counteract side effects of each. But it would be better to only be on one if you don't truly need both.

When you are ready to go off the prozac, please do this slowly and cautiously as  rapid wd can be rather nasty. Not as bad as benzo, but not fun.

Personally, I found a lower dose to be just as effective with much less side effect. You might want to discuss that with your doc. I was on 10mg paxil for several years and did fine. On 20mg I was like a zombie and had lots of side effects. But I'm off everything now and feel even better! ;)

If you are on sustained release wellbutrin, you can still cut it, according to my psych doc, but it will become "immediate release" once you cut it.

Linda,

I saw your reply for restless1 somewhere else, so it was here, but under another forum.  ;D

Oh brother, I could have sworn it was under this subject.  :idiot:

Thanks Linda,

I think I moved the post because I thought I put it in the wrong spot! Sorry... my fault. I'm still getting the hang of the forum..

I apologize for being a pain!!