Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Benzodiazepine Wall of Pain

[ni...]

That is the name of a page on Facebook. Not a group....no need to join. Its relatively new ( Feb 9th ) if you havent heard of it stop for a visit...Its already a nice page for just starting out. Sorry I cant provide the link to it...Im not real computer literate...the title should be enough to get you there.

I visited that site and it kind of turned me off, but thats just me. The name itself is really negative, IMO. From what I saw it's basically a bunch or horror stories condensed together. Reading too many of those is not healthy for me so I stay away from that page. Just my opinion. I'm glad it is helpful for you.  :)

That is the name of a page on Facebook. Not a group....no need to join. Its relatively new ( Feb 9th ) if you havent heard of it stop for a visit...Its already a nice page for just starting out. Sorry I cant provide the link to it...Im not real computer literate...the title should be enough to get you there.

Hi there, this is just a friendly reminder:

•You are not permitted to post your contact details to the BenzoBuddies forum. Nor should you solicit the contact details of other members. Links to (or request to join) Facebook or any other social networking websites which may potentially identify members' true identities are not allowed.

:thumbsup:

Yes I know.  Simply stating it can be "READ". There is no joining.  And most stories are no different than "success" stories here.    N

• 3 months later...
What a terrible Page of pure negativity and Tottal Garbage!!! who needs to see that Junk in WD.... Stay strong and positive don't read that terrible anxiety provoking junk.... Shouyld be taken down... IM sure people starting to tapper will get the shit scared out of them

I know of the FB group, and agree with the other commentators - it seems unnecessarily negative and even counterproductive in its approach. Ive not visited the page, so I aplogise in advance to the owner of the group if my impression of the group/page is wrong. Though, I must say, the title of the group hardly instills confidence.

That page belongs to Nicole.

The reason she started that group was to spread public awareness of the dangers of benzodiazepines and to share individual stories of withdrawal and eventual recovery. Not sure if people take it in a different way, but that's how she meant it to be.

I would also like to mention that if you join that group (or any fb benzo group) you will not be doing so anonymously. Your name and personal details will be there for everyone to see. I would suggest you join with an anonymous fb profile. We do know that those who have a nefarious agenda also visit that group and indeed may be a member. Just be careful about the info you share.

I would also like to mention that if you join that group (or any fb benzo group) you will not be doing so anonymously. Your name and personal details will be there for everyone to see. I would suggest you join with an anonymous fb profile. We do know that those who have a nefarious agenda also visit that group and indeed may be a member. Just be careful about the info you share.

Yep, the mentally ill evil blogger definitely has his sights set on that page every bit as much as he does here. What an oxygen thief.  :-\

[5b...]

Colin:

I know of the FB group, and agree with the other commentators - it seems unnecessarily negative and even counterproductive in its approach. Ive not visited the page, so I aplogise in advance to the owner of the group if my impression of the group/page is wrong.

I am surprised you would do a review without having a look at what it is!  :o

I read alot of it last night and it is just the same as here - people telling their histories. Some have healed and are leading better lives. There is alot of anger and animosity towards the medical profession.... nothing new.

Most people do not use their real names but some do put up what I assume are real photos.

Personally I would never comment on any 'self help' facebook page with my real profile picture or name. I have found links to FB on Cesspool which identify people on BB but only with the same user name they have here. Please don't think I spend my days doing this as I only did it once out of curiosity. ::)

I am a daily FB poster - mostly to promote environmental and animal cruelty issues along with family photos etc. I choose to make 'public' the issues I am promoting but choose the 'friends' rating for personal stuff. Luckily on FB you can always delete anything you regret posting - even years later. I love Facebook. It's the community I don't have anymore in my real living place.

That 'Wall of Pain' page is not scary though - well, not to me. What we humans are doing to each other and to our planet is way more scary.

I don't see how anyone can think it's a bad, or negative page. It's mostly a real look at the dangers of benzodiazepines, and the stories of how it ruined some peoples lives, and then they recovered, and some are still fighting, etc. Everyone that posted or put their pic on that page wanted to do it, to share their story with the public.

That page belongs to Nicole.

The reason she started that group was to spread public awareness of the dangers of benzodiazepines and to share individual stories of withdrawal and eventual recovery. Not sure if people take it in a different way, but that's how she meant it to be.

That's the problem with toning down the message and pushing the issue of protracted wd off into the shadows. Of course this helps protect the people who might be in a sensitive state, but I have to wonder how many others will end up suffering because the truth is worse than anyone wants to admit.

I think it's a great resource to send certain people to because it's easy to access if an acquaintance is already on facebook...it's easy to share with fb friends...it's sufficiently scary to keep the uninformed away from the drugs in the first place...it's got the real faces attached to the real suffering, so people will listen...it reaches around the world easily with no strings attached to anyone who just wants to take a peek, but also can keep you up-to-date if you want to like the page. It serves it's own purpose. I don't think it was meant to be a "support" page unless validation is what you need.

My husband had a chance to sit down for an hour and talk with a doctor he met recently (not his) and educate her about benzos. The Wall of Pain was one resource he gave her because he knew she probably wouldn't take the time to wade through all the heavy stuff at benzo.org.uk or all the threads here to get to the real nitty gritty of the issue...ruined lives....real people. He gave the other sites also but she did look at The Wall of Pain, we know for sure. And she texted him later saying she was going to learn more about it and she was sorry about the suffering and she was already warning her patients about benzos.  So, I think it's an awesome resource for us all to send the right people to...the ones who wouldn't take the time to read through studies & such but respond well to real stories with pictures. I think the people who have told their stories there are all brave & heroic for doing so.

The Benzo Wall of Pain was not not designed to inspire, it was posted to educate people both on and off benzos of the dangers of these drugs. It is not for benzo sufferers to cathart, it is for the truth to be told. Incidentaly it was inspired by the fluoroquinolone wall of pain which educates people about the dangers of those extremely dangerous antibiotics (which are also given out all too freely). 

I've sent a number of people who were interested in learning about my experience and about benzos to this page. And they've all thanked me.

And for your worries about negativity, there are plenty of success stories as well.

I will just add my comments in support of Benzodiazepines Wally of Pain.....this is not meant to be a support group - it is a FB page that allows people to tell the truth about the horror of these drugs....if those who are in the beginning of this benzo w/d journey get frightened, then so be it.  It is the TRUTH...and those of us living it are glad to have a place like this where we can tell our stories where it is not hidden away so as to protect others. 

If it sounds negative to anyone, then they don't have to go there.  But when they get into horrible pain and are frightened out of their minds, they will be glad to have a place to go where they can see that other people have lived through the suffering and came out on the other side...and they will be glad to know that.

It’s simply a public awareness site with many good and positive success stories. You can’t “join” it. There is nothing evil or sinister there. It’s not a site I could have visited in my w/d. I couldn’t even go to my own FB wall until I was 14 months off – far too sensitive to anything “social.”

There is a lot of good information there about benzos and what they can do to us – things that the public should know and expressed in some fairly strong ways at times. If you are still very sensitive, it will probably be scary to you, but then everything can be scary in benzo w/d. It is a good site to not only help the public understand the plight of everyone who has been caught in the web of benzo w/d but also to help prevent the same thing from happening to others.

In that regard, it’s not the same type of site as BB – nor is it intended to be. BB serves its own purpose very well – a safe environment where people in the depths of benzo w/d can come to support each other. If I had not found BB, I may not be here to tell any story.

But, at some point, I would hope that those who heal here would become active in making the public aware of the dangers of benzos so that the number of people who have to take this journey in the future will be minimized. That can be done in many ways – online forums, awareness groups, benzo w/d validation groups, and so on.

That is all the owner of the site is doing, and for still being in w/d, she does an excellent job.       

[5b...]

eli1111

I couldn’t even go to my own FB wall until I was 14 months off – far too sensitive to anything “social.”

I am wondering why you would feel uncomfortable looking at your own timeline. I used to find facebook a sort of 'comfortable' place after getting into 'discussions' here on BB. Not saying that I don't have 'discussions' on FB. However my own timeline is sort of like when I get back into my own car after having some awful public transport trip into the city or something. Or driving down my own driveway.

I am not being critical - just curious.  :)

Personally, I was happy to post my story on the Benzodiazepine Wall of Pain.  It has been a rich and rewarding experience for me and I would encourage others to add their stories too.  There is no limitation as far as sending in your story at whatever stage of the game you're in.  As a protracted member I have no idea when I'll be fully healed so that I'd qualify to tell my success story here on BB (I hope soon).  Facebook has a different feel than Benzo Buddies and both have their rightful purpose.  I believe they compliment each other very well and am grateful for both.

The name of the page speaks to the cold, hard reality of benzo withdrawal and I am grateful for that.  There is nothing polite or pretty about this process, at least there wasn't for me.

I fully support Nicole in operating this page.  People have no idea how hard she works to bring awareness and also to help people with their tapers in her other group.  It's quite incredible really to watch her at work.  Her energy and willingness to help is something to behold.  She is in terrible and relentless physical pain from the damage these drugs have done to her and yet she does all this.  She deserves a lot of kudos for her efforts.

I love you Nicole, keep up the good work.

eli1111

I couldn’t even go to my own FB wall until I was 14 months off – far too sensitive to anything “social.”

I am wondering why you would feel uncomfortable looking at your own timeline. I used to find facebook a sort of 'comfortable' place after getting into 'discussions' here on BB. Not saying that I don't have 'discussions' on FB. However my own timeline is sort of like when I get back into my own car after having some awful public transport trip into the city or something. Or driving down my own driveway.

I am not being critical - just curious.  :)

It was extremely depressing for me to even think about seeing the posts I had made many months earlier when I was well or to read others' happy, joking posts. I couldn't bear to see other people live life while I was unable to do so. It created enormous anxiety. Even when I got on FB at 14 months, the brain fog was still very thick. I wrote two sentences and that was it - something about being sick for two years and now returning. Even then, no one really understood what I had been going through. In another month or so, I was much better. I was more comfortable telling my story to non-BB'ers and didn't really care if they understood or not. I was just ecstatic to be getting well and wanted anyone who would listen to know I was back. It was just the way w/d went for me.         

[5b...]

Thanks for explaining. I can understand from that perspective. You are very brave sharing your story. I tend to keep up the 'happy life facade' and never spoke of my misery when I was trying to do my Valium withdrawal. It's not all facade as I do have happy times and did throughout the difficulty of tapering with all its horrible symptoms. However no one except my own family (or really my husband, as I hide things from my adult children and my mother now she is 93) would know of all the crying I did. They would be shocked. I think I became wary when I opened up to a couple of people I thought would understand but then I never had an answer and it was never mentioned by them again. So it's always been 'on with the make up and the smile'. And hoping the bags under my eyes wouldn't show too much.

Even close friends don't get it. I've had people say 'You seem alright today!' Little do they know you've been bawling at home and updosed to actually get to wherever I was going.

I think the most personal thing I have ever said on FB is that I appreciated the empathetic and generous spirit of the people at the Fibromyalgia Support Group. I might have received one 'like' for that.  ;)

Therefore I am full of admiration for people who go public with their stories.

I am guessing that everyone has problems of some sort in their lives and things are probably not as rosy as they look on a place like facebook, for most people.

It was extremely depressing for me to even think about seeing the posts I had made many months earlier when I was well or to read others' happy, joking posts. I couldn't bear to see other people live life while I was unable to do so.

I was never at a point where I couldn't visit facebook, but it was absolutely depressing to go back and read things I had written before this nightmare began. It made me realize just how much these awful drugs took from me.

It also pissed me off to see how great other people's lives supposedly were. On a rational level I knew that people's lives are rarely as great as they would have everyone believe on a self promotional social media site, but at the same time the mere fact that they had something to post showed me just how screwed up my life was. 

Hi Xana ... thank you for the compliment.  I use my alias on facebook so I'm not all that brave really.

Most of us can validate what it's like to be met with those blank stares when we talk to people in our real lives about what we're going thru.  It has kinda made me feel like I'm from another planet and they don't know what to make of me.  You're definitely not alone with that experience.

I am guessing that everyone has problems of some sort in their lives and things are probably not as rosy as they look on a place like facebook, for most people.

They don't call it "fakebook" for nothing.  ;)

I know of the FB group, and agree with the other commentators - it seems unnecessarily negative and even counterproductive in its approach. Ive not visited the page, so I aplogise in advance to the owner of the group if my impression of the group/page is wrong. Though, I must say, the title of the group hardly instills confidence.

Yea, it's probably not the best page to read for someone that has just decided to quit their benzos, and is currently in a taper, or not far off benzos....not if they are sensitive. BUT, the page would not really grab much public attention with stories of people that took 2 months to heal, or people that are living life to the fullest while coming off their benzos. The purpose of the page is to show the real debilitating effects of benzodiazepines, and of course some of those people's success stories.