Chest pains -- anyone else in similar situation?

Hi Everyone,

I haven't posted for a while because I had the most excruciating chest pains three days ago -- thought it was THE END. Anyway, my doctor told me that, if this happens, I should take a VERY LOW dose of metoprolol and meditate. The pains lasted for 20 minutes, and I took only 12 mg of metoprolol and finally the pain subsided, but it scared the cr*p out of me. Just had two normal EKGs within two weeks, and I believe the pain was caused by playing piano too vigorously the other night.

Does anyone else take a low dose of a beta blocker only as needed? And, do you have any other suggestions? This was the scariest evening of my life! I would go for an echocardiogram, but I'm in no shape to pass a stress test.

Any thoughts?

Love,

Genie

I don't know Genie, you might be right, it could have been from the piano!

Muscular pain in the chest area can feel like a heart attack. I used to get it alot as a kid. It's like a cramp. But my heart is totally normal and healthy, so it wasn't my heart.

Hi Genie,

I have suffered protracted problems with muscle cramps. I tend to go through phases: my left leg is sometimes effected (it sometimes even gives the appearance of sciatica); or shoulders; but last year and into this, more the left side of my chest. It did worry me at first, but it is just cramps. If you have been tested out for more serious causes and they turned up nothing, then I think you can safely assume it is just muscle spasms. Though I appreciate, it is very painful when it happens to intercostal muscles. It will pass, and may well be a short-lived phase in your withdrawal.

Colin and Linda,

It's possible the chest pains are muscle related. So far nothing abnormal on the EKG, but, whenever I have the chest pains, my BP goes through the roof and I have to take a small amount of a beta blocker. Right now, I don't have the chest pains, but the bladder pain is excruciating. I don't know how much more of this I can take.

Thanks for replying. Tomorrow I might have my urine tested to rule out another UTI. I just can't stand this.

Love,

Genie

Genie,

Although I am not having bladder spasms at this time only frequent urination, I have lived with interstitial cystitis since I was 20. The only thing that I could use to help with the flare ups (spasms) was either a prescription for Usept or I also have used Azo Standard (although messy orange) available OTC. It has a slight sedative effect for the bladder. I know you are not into more drugs, but that was the only thing I could do. Sometimes heating pad or hot bath would help.

T2

Genie,

I'm just guessing here, but might tightening of the chest wall due to muscle spasm cause a sudden increase in blood pressure?

Colin,

I agree with you, and the chest was probably withdrawal caused by too vigorous exercise, but I still want to see a cardiologist once I get this urinary pain under control. Sorry, but I am soooo sick of living like this -- like a pickle in a pickle jar! Thanks for your suggestion.

Love,

Genie

Theresa,

I thought of interstitial cystitis, but I'm hoping I don't have it. I never had bladder problems until I started withdrawing from Valium, but this might just be coincidental. My attitude toward meds is that, if they aren't fluoroquinolone antibiotics (took one a few months ago which messed up my taper) and they aren't psych meds, sometimes we just need to take SOMETHING for pain.

Sorry you have interstitial cystitis. That couldn't be much fun at all. Did you need a cystoscopy? Don't know if I could undergo one of those in the condition I'm in now.

Love,

Genie

Genie,

You don't want to know how many times I have had that procedure done. Everytime it made my symptoms worse for days. They never diagnosed me until about 6 years ago after having the symptoms on and off for 20 years.

Many urologists and drs could never find anything wrong. Very painful but have not had a flare up for 2 years now, never could really figure out what caused it to flare up.

T2

Hi Genie,

I had really bad chest pains and arrythimia off an on throughout my w/d, it really is scary.  I also took a beta blocker (inderal) and it did help, I'm glad I had some.

R

Romel,

I sure can relate to your post. I occasionally have to take a low dose of a beta blocker, too. Those chest pains can be VERY scary! Glad they helped you.

Love,

Genie

Be careful with the Inderal.  If taken for a long period of time...it can be a real bugger of a drug too.  Had a heck of a time getting off of it.

Jen

Jen,

I'm on metoprolol, not propranolol (Inderal), but you're right -- it's very hard to get off any beta blocker. So far, I only take the stupid drug, as needed, such as when my BP goes through the roof or I have chest pains. My Valium dose right now is high enough that I rarely develop the dreaded chest pains, but I probably will see a cardiologist to rule out anything organic.

Thanks for the advice.

Love,

Genie