Beating Intrusive Thoughts

[Je...]

No I don't have Instagram, not very techy I'm afraid. Yes that would be really helpful thanks. I've tried everything, think the mental symptoms lot harder than physical to deal with. Everyone keeps saying be more positive, 3 years down line hard to be positive!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Du...]

• [le...]

• [ki...]

• [Wa...]

hi leann,

I am happy to reach out to her on Instagram and see if she will post a video discussing intrusives a bit more and see what, if anything, has helped her......I do know she said it is her worst symptom ---- do you have one particular intrusive that bothers you or does it move around a lot --

Fear of hurting people mainly, not conciously wanting actually hurt people, just fearing may have hurt people while I've been out. More of sort of paranoia at times. Brief history, had years emotional abuse from mother, died last year, had secretly changed her will, cut me out of everything and replaced me as executor. One therapists theory was, maybe feel I need protect people because abuse I suffered. Has made things lot worse.

leann,

I am so sorry you are dealing with that ---- I think it makes sense --- but I also just think that our limbic system is so out of whack and take any thought, feeling, etc and run with it and turn it into something that is relentless and terrifying.  I hope you feel better. 

Hey I found a video made by a therapist who is in benzo withdrawal. She has a handful of really comforting videos. She made one about intrusive thoughts recently.

I though you all might find it helpful.

• 3 weeks later...
Anyone else still getting these. It’s the one remaining symptom won’t shift. Actually seem worse than they did last summer. Whether it’s ongoing family stress delaying things who knows. Mental symptoms seem hang around so much longer than physical,  Baylis and couple other therapists  say intrusive thoughts hardest symptom to deal with.

• 3 months later...

is this a intrusive thought?

Have this funny mental symptom where i see any images, people, or even sounds, I will repeat it in my head on the spot.

this is so debilitating and i doubt i have any life to lead if I cannot get rid of this symptom

any comments are much appreciated.

is this a intrusive thought?

Have this funny mental symptom where i see any images, people, or even sounds, I will repeat it in my head on the spot.

this is so debilitating and i doubt i have any life to lead if I cannot get rid of this symptom

any comments are much appreciated.

Had variations of that, hypnically, sometimes still do, it will go away or at least nearly fade once you are out of acute, for me it was worst the first 2,5 months and then at the start of a setback at 5,5 months

• 2 months later...

Intrusive thoughts were what took me to the doc originally over 20 years ago.

I have never divulged the content of the thoughts to anyone however i had a lightbulb moment (or rather i was guided to a lightbulb moment by a counsellor during a cbt session) that i still use today.

She said to me, the trouble you are having is that you are 'judging' these thoughts and are 'judging' the content to be of a negative connotation, which of course brings fear, anxiety and other negative emotions.

Instead of 'judging' these thoughts just 'label' them as 'oh that's just my OCD' and let them flow through your mind, i found that when i started doing this these thoughts didn't linger, they just flowed through my thought process and out the other side.

There is a great book that she told me to read called "The imp of the mind", it was instrumental in me in realising that there is no connection between the part of the brain that has the thoughts and the part of the brain that controls your actions......So for me no matter how many intrusive thoughts i had they would never be acted upon because the part of my brain having the thoughts was the part that was 'malfunctioning' not the part that controlled my actions.

The thing about intrusive thoughts is because your anxiety, OCD or Depression lives inside your brain it has unique access to all of your deepest fears and by god it acts on them, if you have an irrational fear of hamsters then you better believe your Anxiety, OCD or Depression will use that against you.

Its a terrible place to be but instead of 'judging' them just 'label them', don't give them credence, don't give them any sort of weight, label them and let them flow through.

good luck

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Intrusive thoughts were what took me to the doc originally over 20 years ago.

I have never divulged the content of the thoughts to anyone however i had a lightbulb moment (or rather i was guided to a lightbulb moment by a counsellor during a cbt session) that i still use today.

She said to me, the trouble you are having is that you are 'judging' these thoughts and are 'judging' the content to be of a negative connotation, which of course brings fear, anxiety and other negative emotions.

Instead of 'judging' these thoughts just 'label' them as 'oh that's just my OCD' and let them flow through your mind, i found that when i started doing this these thoughts didn't linger, they just flowed through my thought process and out the other side.

There is a great book that she told me to read called "The imp of the mind", it was instrumental in me in realising that there is no connection between the part of the brain that has the thoughts and the part of the brain that controls your actions......So for me no matter how many intrusive thoughts i had they would never be acted upon because the part of my brain having the thoughts was the part that was 'malfunctioning' not the part that controlled my actions.

The thing about intrusive thoughts is because your anxiety, OCD or Depression lives inside your brain it has unique access to all of your deepest fears and by god it acts on them, if you have an irrational fear of hamsters then you better believe your Anxiety, OCD or Depression will use that against you.

Its a terrible place to be but instead of 'judging' them just 'label them', don't give them credence, don't give them any sort of weight, label them and let them flow through.

good luck

Very true. Thank you for reminding me of this.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...