Hard time tapering off .5mg Klonopin

[To...]

My doctor wants me to get off of Klonopin ASAP.  I tried a one month taper.  I used to be prescribed .5mg 3x daily and it started as .5mg 2x daily for 2 weeks, then .5 mg 1x daily and then .5mg every other day then stop.  I am currently prescribed Suboxone and that is the reason he wants me to get off the nerve medication as soon as possible.  I have had a terrible time tapering or weening off of the nerve medication.  My home life is very stressful.  I am living with my mother and sister and her child and every other weekend she has her other 2 children and I get really agitated when her kids scream and yell and cry and even when they aren't here my sister likes to yell a lot and the nerve medication made it where I didn't have a short temper. I am currently debating trying to find an inpatient rehab to go to away from here to get my head straight and get the proper help I need.  What do I do until that time?  My doctor prescribed me 8 .5mg pills, 1 to be taken daily until my appointment next Wednesday.  Taking one helped but I get really agitated if I can't get to sleep and it is past 3am here. Do I take another one in hopes of going to sleep or do I try and tough it out?  I have tried taking sleeping medicine like Tylenol PM but it doesn't do anything for me.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Hello TormentedSoul84 :hug:

Welcome to benzobuddies

I am so sorry, you are having such a rotten time of it at the moment, It will get better. Benzodiazepines need to be tapered slow. I am glad you found us you will get plenty of support here, If you could read through Professor Ashtons Manual you will find It is a valuable resource for learning about benzos and how to taper off them, the general rule of thumb is to reduce between 5/10% every 10/14 days

Please feel free to check out the forum and post to any of the dedicated boards, you'll find a great community of people who are here to support and encourage you. You might like to post to the The Klonopin Klub, we have a lot of knowledgeable members here who will give sound advice.

If you would be so kind as to add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) it will help members give you relevant advice this link will show you how to Create a signature

Please let us know If you have any questions.

Welcome Aboard

Magrita

Hi, and welcome from me, too. I need a bit more information in order to help you better. How long have you been on the Klonapin? Just one month? Adding a signature would really help.

Were you irritable before starting on the Klonapin?

Living with a relative and one with kids certainly could be stressful. Is it possible for you leave the house when the kids start carrying on?

I would be very careful about inpatient rehabs. Many are just "quick fixes" that make them noey and are not designed to safely get one off a dangerous drug like Klonapin.

If you havent yet, takae some time and read about benzos and how they can affect you. It always helps to be an "educated consumer."

I am very glad to hear your doctor is reallu pushing you to get off the Klonapin! Too many doctors ignore the strong recommendations that these drugs be given only for a short time. If you have only taken it a month, getting off should not be especially hard, altho every person is different. You mention having a hard time weaning off, can you explain exactly how its been hard for you?

eastcoast

Hello TormentedSoul84,

Welcome to the forum from me too  :)

I'm so sorry to hear about your current situation but you will be given plenty of support and tapering assistance here.

As Eastcoast said we do need to know how long you have been taking the klonopin, perhaps you could put this information into your Signature line, the more information we have about you the better equipped we are to assist you. Magrita has given you the recommended guidelines for tapering but if you have been taking the klonopin for a relatively short period you may be able to taper quicker than this but certainly a gradual taper is the way to go to minimise the withdrawal effects

Here  is a link to The Withdrawal & recovery support board where you can post questions relating to your symptoms.

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?board=55.0

I'm glad you found us and I wish you success with the taper.

Debbie