does hydroxyzine help anyone?

[Bo...]

My Dr put me on hydroxyzine today to help with sleep and general anxiety. I've read its basically just a stronger benadryl. Does anyone have any experience with this.

I have taken it once during my acute phase. It knocked me out for a few hrs which was a godsend at the time. It should be beneficial and yes it is a strong antihistimine.

There are TWO type of HydroxyzineS. 

HYDROXYZINE HCL which is JUNK (white pills)

HYDROXYZINE  PAMOATE which is the good the stuff in green caps

and THAT is the one close to stronger benadryl -It will make you SLEEPY and wake up OK.

Remember that it makes both benzo's and opiates more potent so be careful.

• 3 weeks later...
My doctor also gave me hydroxyzine to help with sleep (knowing that I was withdrawing from temazepam). I find that it does act a lot like diphenhydramine, it makes you drowsy, but doesn't "put you out" like a benzo. It does help with anxiety, so even if I'm still lying in bed cursing at the ceiling, I'm a lot less stressed about it. A bit groggy the next morning.

How does it differ from OTC antihistamines? For sleeping, I usually use chlorphenamine or promethazine (both OTC in Ireland, not sure about the US). Diphenhydramine doesn't work for me for some reason.

Yes, youre right about it being similar to Benedryl . But like every other medication, everyone reacts differently. Vistaril ( and Benedryl) did nothing for me. Nothing!

Go figure.

There are TWO type of HydroxyzineS. 

HYDROXYZINE HCL which is JUNK (white pills)

HYDROXYZINE  PAMOATE which is the good the stuff in green caps

and THAT is the one close to stronger benadryl -It will make you SLEEPY and wake up OK.

Birdman, can you please elaborate on this? I've taken Hydroxyzine periodically. I have both the HCL (10 mg) and the Pamoate (25mg). They gave me the Pamoate in the ER and it definitely knocked me out. I've only taken the HCL on my own since I want a really low dose of anything. It has helped me but I've also noticed some strange reactions (hard to pinpoint whether or not it's actually caused by the drug or just another weird benzo w/d symptom) like the sensation of losing consciousness even when I don't. Thanks.

Hydroxizine, in addition to being an antihistimine also has anxiolytic properties.  It's also the active incredient in some OTC sinus meds.  per wikipedia 'Due to its antagonistic effects on several receptor systems in the brain, hydroxyzine has strong anxiolytic and mild antiobsessive as well as antipsychotic properties" Although I'm not sure in comparison to w/d, the effect are "strong" but on the occassions i've taken it, I have noticed it can take the edge off.

No drug is without s/x and antihistimines have their own issues, but as drugs go it is my understanding that this one contains less risk than many. 

WWWI

• 10 years later...

Many people believe that hydroxyzine HCl tablets (Atarax) are the best choice for itch and hydroxyzine pamoate capsules (Vistaril) are for anxiety or sleep. This belief is often passed down to students and shared among colleagues.

But despite this widespread acceptance, there is no evidence to suggest that either salt has advantages over the other. This practice appears to be based on tradition and nothing more.

Part of the confusion may be that many people don't realize that not all Vistaril products are the pamoate salts.

Initially I would take just slivers of a pill. It didn’t knock me out but definitely helped with the anxiety. I would recommend anyone with severe anxiety to try just a tiny amount to see if the get any relief.