Gastritis caused Anxiety and I want to get off Benzos

[te...]

Have gastritis/gastroparesis which causes terrible stomach problems and anxiety. Been relying on benzos (valium and xanax, and recently some restoril) to get by, but anxiety is getting worse. Not sure if it's due to my stomach problems or the benzos. The benzos stop the stomach pain and allow me to eat, but I have anxiety and pounding heartbeat all the time which may be from benzos. Will post more details when my account is approved (hopefully soon).

Hello teesmith,

Welcome to BenzoBuddies!  You'll find that our members are more than willing to share their benzodiazepine experiences with others.  We offer abundant information and support here.

I'm sorry to hear about your stomach difficulties, though it sounds as if they may be anxiety-related.  Not knowing the details, it's hard to say. 

Here are a few links to get you started:

The Ashton Manual is an authoritative source on what to expect in withdrawal and recovery.  Dr. Ashton is an expert in the field.

Members discuss their symptoms on The Withdrawal and Recovery Support Board.

Please take the time to Create a Signature.  This will allow others to see where you are in the process so they can better support you.

Again, welcome!

Hi teesmith,

Did you know that stomach trouble and yes, gastroparesis, can be caused by benzos? They sure can. And anxiety is definitly a symptom of tolerance. Has your dose of the benzo been upped recently? I hope you are considering getting off whatever youre now on. If you are not familiar with tolerance withdrawal, the whole idea might seem preposterous. I do not want to bore you if you all ready know about this. But if you want to know more, drop me a line. By getting off the benzo, you may be preventing even worse medical problems down the road. These drugs work so differently than other drugs. The receptors are in every single body system. Theres a true abundance of them in the GI tract, and that is why GI symptoms are so common.

eastcoast