LOW DOSE Dependence group.

[...]

Hi all, I have been away for a while trying to do things to make my self feel better.

I'd like to start a thread for people whom are addicted to Benzo's whom are taking very small dosages. Small as in what doctors would consider minimum doses or under. For example I'm on .5mg of Clonazepam a day. I have SLOWLY cut down to 35% off using liquid titration. I don't use dosage values as I find percentage to be more simple.

It's currently taking me 3-4 days to cut 1% using a syringe. If I don't go this slow I'm sick with the all too familiar symptoms. I am unable to work and I'm left "stoned" most of the time.

If open to discuss anything in relation to low dose usage and withdrawal/tapering. I'd like to hear other peoples stories and am here to give support and would love to receive support! If you'd like more details about me I have a web page as stated in my signature.

Thanks for reading folks! Hope to hear from you!

PS. I'd like for anyone to post regardless of your current dosage etc, any support would be fantastic!!

Fonz

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [...]

• [pa...]

• [mr...]

• [Be...]

Top Posters In This Topic

hi fonz (heyyyyyy...  :thumbsup:)  sorry cudnt resist.

im also trying to get off. 5 clonazepam.

was doing great til i had severe stress (im talking major life stuff) and i took an extra .25 on both sunday & today due to the 'im having a heart attack & cant breathe' feelings. 

anyway.... im with ya!  i need to succeed and i need support.

i have to start working again in 1 week and am dreading it :P

good to meet ya!

[40...]

I was on a low dose for many many years.....5mg Nitrazepam <(Temazepam prior to this) as needed about 8 to 10 tablets a month. I'm having a bad withdrawal so I wonder how much dosage size counts or is it more the time we are on these drugs?

hi fonz,

it's really fantastic you've started this post.i've been on low dosage of xanax (1/4 of 0/5mg daily) for almost 3 months.considering i'm tappering.still i couldn't cut it off.my doctor told me that this little piece of xanax is  nothing and does nothing to my body .he believes that  i'm mentally edicted to this low dosage, thinks it's  time for me to jump but  i don't think so  ??? i'm afraid .my w/d s change everyday.one day i feel good without any pain and the next day i feel miserable and totally disappointed.

it's hard to jump now but i'm wondering when it's time to  :-[

Hello all!

Skweekers - Sorry to hear you are going through life stress. I am as well besides the obvious Benzo drug addiction issue. My father whom i'm close with is turning 90 and has been diagnosed with alzeimers. My other set back is not being able to work as I'm so darn sick all the time. Watching everyone around me living normal is tough. I'm here to provide support! Keep posting! Share as you wish, all of our identities are hidden so I don't mind sharing anything at all.

CoasterGuy - - I'm not too familiar with Valium but it makes no difference, you can find support here! Thanks for posting.

Beth Cornwall - You know that's a good question. We are all different of course but I can share from my own experience that I once got off clonazepam fairly easy. Now that I have gotten back on it I just can't stop! It's sooooo slow. I have been taking it daily for roughly 8 months straight. Prior I had been taking it for over a year straight. It's so unpredictable and different for all of us. Thanks for posting!

Saharsandy - Your words are all too familiar. I have been getting a lot of "Your dose is nothing, it should be no harder than quitting coffee". I have been laughed at by doctors. Fact is it's not in my head as I'm physically Ill from it. When I cut I get ill and I know by now after all these years when it's caused by my drugs. You know your self better than any doctor. I understand the fear to cut but listen to your body. Even cutting super slowly is good I mean it's better than not cutting at all? There is no doubt we have to be prepared to deal with what ever it was we were suffering with prior to drugs. We need to learn and practice the skills! We must move on and be strong!! We can support one another here!  Yes I felt the subject of low dose deserved it's own thread.. I'd encourage anyone to share their story! In relation to doctors not listening here is a post from my website (uneven-road.com) "They're all Gonna Laugh at You".

"I have had no choice but to except the fact my local doctors, therapists and pharmacists are completely ignorant and oblivious to patients with sensitivity’s to my drugs. Talk about feeling alone. They all have the exact same reaction, the mere fact that I would even consider getting off my medication SLOWLY sends them in to an automatic state of hysteria. It comes across as if I have offended their personal religion to even dream up such a plan. I swear to you, I do not walk in to the doctor’s office wearing a clown suit, in yet they certainly make me feel like I’m wearing one. The truth is after years of repeated foul encounters I have had no choice but to twist the image that I convey on my dose and how I have felt. I have almost had my doses cut by up to 100% overnight just by mentioning I wanted to get off them. It’s rather sad when you feel you know more to a medical subject than your doctor. I have had reactions such as “Dr. Heather Ashton, who in the world is that?, do not listen to such nonsense”  I’m continuously told getting off my drugs should be no more difficult than quitting coffee. Let me know when I can stop laughing out loud! It’s outrageous. I have provided doctors with a copy of the Ashton Manual to perhaps open their eyes, I would not be surprised if some of them ended up as fuel for their fireplace over the holidays. I know I sound so harsh, : )  I’m not, I just feel pretty darn betrayed as I’m sure a lot of you do. To this day I still have to pitch out money for the drugs, I mean I’m so dependent on these drugs It’s as though I have Diabetes and can not miss a single dose. You know I might as well go ahead and wear the clown suit and perhaps a colorful fanny pack with a 6 month supply of drugs strapped to my waist.. They can laugh all they want, we may have to suffer now but they can not take away our will to beat this!

I feel so sorry for all the people I see that are obviously over medicated, I mean it’s scary looking at them sitting in the office like drones awaiting the next lovely dose increase. Thumbs up to therapy, thumbs down to heavy use of prescription drugs. Just my opinion ; )  "

Cheers to all!  Hope to hear from everyone soon! 

Fonz

I'm glad this thread was started.  I had always been on an "extremely low dose"--as everyone calls it, of Xanax, and my pdoc told me too that it shouldn't be doing anything, like saharsandy noted.  It was putting me to sleep at night which is why I took it and getting me to work the next day to deal with that stressful job.  But, now I look back on it, Xanax is rather short-acting, so it was mainly out of my system by the next day, and in the evening, and I felt ok the rest of the day.  It's when this past April, I didn't take that or Restoril for two days, and had personal stresses on that, that I had a mini seizure at work, which is what I told my doctor.  I was in tolerance w/d that day, but going home and taking more X didn't help me feel better, that day, still had anxiety and shaking, etc.  I believe I was in minor tolerance w/d for a year or so, since I complained so much at work about noise, odors, etc. abusive people, everything, and look back and noticed I was feeling different.  I just thought it was stress.  I believe it was personal stress and the benzo's working together.  Also, this past summer, I rode my motorcycle nearly every day on the low dose X with no problem, except that I couldn't get the feeling of joy from it like I used to, from the X.  My w/d is not fun, but I've been able to take care of things here at home, go shopping, to the mall, etc.  After a few weeks I did have about two major panic attacks, and have had and still do, some real high anxiety, which comes and goes.  Sensitive to stress, of the negative kind.  I have the shakes, trembling, inner vibration, breathlessness benzo flu, cog fog, anxiety, depression, weakness, jellylegs, cold and sweaty feet, which changes during the day and comes in waves, basically all the s/x's everyone else on this forum describes in acute.  I haven't been bedridden.  At 3 months off, the intrusive/obsessive thoughts are what seem to start my anxiety, but I guess it's the w/d s/x's together.  I seem to get frightened and anxious about nothing, really.  Especially stuff on this forum and on the internet that I get freaked out about.  I can't say I've I had any sleepless nights, but a few where I would get up every hour or so, fretting over some insane obsession with anxiety/panic.  My fearful thoughts seem to keep me from having a comfortable recovery, and I'm constanty needing to deal with my thoughts and fears.  Today, I had a fairly good day.  My appetite has not returned at all, and I've lost about 20 lbs.  I was overweight to begin with, so that's good.  I haven't had an appetite since I jumped last Nov. 2012.  I went to the mall to walk today and did ok, then to the grocery store where I did get panicky, but made it home.  Agoraphobia, comes and goes, depending on my anxiety level.  I just pray that things get better very soon, so I can resume a normal life.  I get depressed because I don't socialize much now like I used to, just too many s/x's.  I keep looking for a rhyme or reason why some people recover so quickly and some take longer.  I've tried to see a pattern with length of time and dosage, etc. but can't seem to find it.  I think it's based on our genetics how we recover.  How can so many people who have taken high doses for long periods of time get off them and never have a problem?  Then a minority of people have PAWS, etc?  At least that always gives me hope that all this will heal in time, and it's not permanent. 

Hi people. Lets talk about low dose. I too was on some years ago and got off no problem Then in 2008 I had some major bouts of anxiety like a panic attack that just never went away. So--- got me some klonopin again. I took the .5 every night for a year, tapered very slowly I thought, and got off again no problem. But at 3 weeks off I had the most insane anxiety I ever had, couldn't eat, had weird tics, and a couple days before christmas could not give a clerk my name. I went to the dr. She denied it could be klonopin related, and said take seroquel then. I took one...never again. I thought I just must have to be on klon, so reinstated. Then I researched and realized it was w/d. I took .25 for a year, tried again, and got to 2.5 months and it was hell. Went to the dr thinking I would get some prozac or something. he said, you just need to admit you need the stuff to deal with your anxiety and probably will the rest of your life. This is such a low dose, you are just an anxious person, so undoubtedly you are getting all worked up and just creating these symptoms. I went home, and did what he said. .25 again for a year. But during that year, I read posts here, read Ashton manual, read Bliss Johns, and said no way. I never really got relief from reinstating, so...I started a very slow dry cut from the .25.  10% every two weeks. When I got to half of that, .125, I titrated with water. I am now 18 months off, and finally after all this time, I am feeling close to healed. If you look back at my 2011 posts, you will see how messed up I was.

I do not think there is a pattern to any of this. Not the symptoms, the time frame, nor do I think the severity can be linked to dosage. One thing i can say though, is that I believe the yo yo thing I did, contributed to my hell. I worked and went to school through this, but there were plenty of days I was an absolute mess. But it wasn't better if I stayed home, so...

I just wanted you all to know that I never thought i would make it. Never thought i would heal. I didn't do anything special, didn't take any supplements, or eat in any special way. I did yoga and waited. And long about a year things started to really turn, and ;lately its gotten so much better, in spite of my doubts.

There is one thing though- by being on a low dose...you don't have so long to wait to jump!

be strong!!!

north

I too was on a low dose for a short time compared to what others have taken. I had many days that I didn't think I could keep going. I just wanted it to end no matter how. But here I am almost back to my normal self again. I still have moments of anxiety but Professor Ashton said that would be for awhile yet. I gained back the 30+ lbs I lost and the crippling fear of nothing is gone. Still get a touch of benzo belly now and then but even that's about gone. Northofhere and Becksblue, you've pretty much spelled out what I went through. I'll never take another Xanax. If I even see one, I'm going to look the other way! :laugh:

hello buddies,

just having a bad anxiety. this is worst one since tapering.

did not have this much anxiety in a long time.

well well well.

will not loose this battle because of this.

wish me a luck everyone.

fonz... im sorry to hear about ur father :-\

ive been really hurting from wd's now that im under alot of stress.  i worry how i will function when i start working again next week.  i wud do anything to be able to not work.....  at least for now.  i am very afraid i wont be able to focus & learn & produce.

the last thing i want is to be tempted to updose. 

Thank you all for posting! It's always interesting to hear other peoples stories and success stories. It's certainly great that we can find support here.

My delayed responses are because I'm finally forcing my self to get out of the house! No doubt It's completely unpredictable to how I will feel when I go out but I take the chance anyhow. I'm getting a lot of symptoms about 2 hours before my next dose.. Some are leaving me crippled/bed ridden. Has anyone even heard of having to cut so slow to avoid side effects?  I'm cutting 1% every 3-4 days. I tried various speeds and it honestly seems the best. Even at this rate I feel horrible at times and have to stop for a couple days.

Skweekers, thanks for the kind words.. I know this is not a forum for personal issues besides the drugs but I'm sure we all have our own which adds to this nightmare.

Can anyone describe any head sensations? I personally get what "feels" like a seizure is going to take place. I'm not sure how else to describe it. Sometimes it's almost like my brain is chopping or doing zig zags/waves. I'm also VERY stoned all the time, like extremely bad at times.  This of course brings on anxiety and all goes to hell.

Cheers to all, hope to hear from everyone soon!

Fonz

Thank you all for posting! It's always interesting to hear other peoples stories and success stories. It's certainly great that we can find support here.

My delayed responses are because I'm finally forcing my self to get out of the house! No doubt It's completely unpredictable to how I will feel when I go out but I take the chance anyhow. I'm getting a lot of symptoms about 2 hours before my next dose.. Some are leaving me crippled/bed ridden. Has anyone even heard of having to cut so slow to avoid side effects?  I'm cutting 1% every 3-4 days. I tried various speeds and it honestly seems the best. Even at this rate I feel horrible at times and have to stop for a couple days.

Skweekers, thanks for the kind words.. I know this is not a forum for personal issues besides the drugs but I'm sure we all have our own which adds to this nightmare.

Can anyone describe any head sensations? I personally get what "feels" like a seizure is going to take place. I'm not sure how else to describe it. Sometimes it's almost like my brain is chopping or doing zig zags/waves. I'm also VERY stoned all the time, like extremely bad at times.  This of course brings on anxiety and all goes to hell.

Cheers to all, hope to hear from everyone soon!

Fonz

hi fonz,

here's my situation.

starting taper dosage : 0.25mg/day klonopin(clonazepam)

1 to 2% reduction a day by titration method.

current dosage : 0.075mg/day

even at this low dosage, my body craves for it. after taken, the mental symptoms ease out in about an hour. just hate this "benzo".

i am taking this poison at 9:00pm every night. and, start to have an anxiety feeling around 6 to 7:00pm. funny thing is that it was like this ever since i took this poison.

anyway, take a good care of yourself.

Pacific Ocean, that was certainly an interesting reply as it's very accurate to my issue lately. The difference is I split my dose in two. I take one of my doses at 9pm as well, I also start feeling sick at roughly 6-7pm.  Can you describe your symptoms during this couple hour window? Any symptoms not related anxiety? For example strange sensations in your head etc?

Take care!

Pacific Ocean, that was certainly an interesting reply as it's very accurate to my issue lately. The difference is I split my dose in two. I take one of my doses at 9pm as well, I also start feeling sick at roughly 6-7pm.  Can you describe your symptoms during this couple hour window? Any symptoms not related anxiety? For example strange sensations in your head etc?

Take care!

hi fonz,

i have head symptoms that are not related to anxiety. but, it's little different than yours. cannot really describe in words.

how are you doing?

just took 0.07mg of klonopin. even with this small dosage of poison, i get a relief. :sick:

end of my tapering is coming soon. already getting concerned what i would do to get a relief when taper is over.....

ugh...

Hi,

I'm new to Benzos and a new member.  This Forum has helped me through some really tough days. I was prescribed Clonazepam 1mg in November 2012 (4 months ago).

My doctor was no help with a tapering off schedule, so I have relied on the Internet to help me so far.  On 2/5/13 I went back down to 0.5 for 7 days (tremors, headache, nausea).  On 2/12/13 I went down to 0.25 for 14 days (same symptoms) especially bad on day 9 & 10. On 2/26/13 I went down to 0.125 planned for 14 days, but I'm now on day 13 and it's has gotten tougher!  My doctor says stop at .125, but I haven't "stabilized".  I have had 7 rough days with my usually symptoms plus joint pain.  This has been the most difficult stage.  I'm scared and don't know if I should hold for another week, skip days or try the water titration system to reduce the .125.  I know there are others who are hurting more than me but I have never had this experience.

Hi all!

Pacific Ocean - I have read many times users tend to feel anxious in relation to getting off that final bit, no doubt I'm sure I will feel the same.. I guess I have taken it for so long it will be strange. In my case it's all about using skills I have learned to fight off the anxiety and negative thoughts. Do you go to a therapist of some sort to learn these skills?  It's great to hear you are so close to getting off this garbage, I'm excited to hit the half way point which is still roughly 50 days away. Honestly the best advice I can give to anyone from my personal experience is nutrition and exercise. This is strictly my opinion but apparently (and some may get all upset at me saying this) Dr. Heather Ashton her self says nutrition is not all that important.. Well as a holistic nutritionist I disagree. If your digestive system is off in any way the body will use up great energy to heal it. Most people are unaware certain foods affects them so negatively. In my eyes anything positive to promote healing is worth looking in to. When I say exercise I don't even mean running etc but even walking or some form of movement. Getting outside in the sun if possible in any form. Some medical practices believe the sun promotes healing. Anyhow just a thought.

Florida Mom - Thanks for posting!  Sorry to hear of your situation. You know you can't beat going slow.. It's very possible that it could be easy getting off completely or there could be a rough patch. The important thing to do is stay strong and feel free to seek support like you are!  If you need help with Titration there is tons of advice on here and on the web. It's not as difficult as I had expected. I personally avoided doing liquid titration for months on end because I thought it looked a bit difficult. If you are lucky you can find a doctor that will support such a method, if you have my luck you may not. Remember as bad as you may feel at times your brain just needs to heal. For some of us it takes more time than others. I can only speak for my self but slow and steady wins the race for me thus far.

Talk soon! 

:thumbsup:

Thanks Fonz, I just want this out of my system, but I think my body is saying slow down.  I want to be healthy when I am free of this medicine.  I never had digestive issue before, but this withdrawal is having a field day with my stomach.

After taking 0.5 mg alprazolam for about 2 months, tapered down to 0.25 mg, then stopped.  Three days later I began having severe withdrawal symptoms (extreme agitation, shaking, confusion, very high blood pressure), but felt fine the first 2 days.  I went back to 0.25 mg for a week, then down to 0.125 mg for 7 days and tried stopping again.  Again, on day 3 I had severe withdrawal.  Went back on 0.125 mg for a week, then down to 1/16 mg for a week.  Stopped again, and yesterday, on day 3 - you guessed it.  I took 1/8 mg yesterday to relieve the symptoms, and so far none today.  I'm thinking of trying 1/16 mg again every other day for a week, then maybe every third day.  Anyone have any thoughts?

Also, recently my physician did a blood test for pheochromocytoma (adrenal gland tumor) wondering if my withdrawal from such low doses was actually not withdrawal but pheo.  I got the results today.  It showed very high levels of epinephrine, and high levels of dopamine.  This could possibly mean I have pheo, but he said the results are not conclusive (if the test was normal, he said it would confirm I did not have pheo, but when it is not normal additional testing needs to be done to find out what is going on).  He is following up with a 24 hour urine test.  Just curious whether anyone had any knowledge of whether alprazolam withdrawal can cause elevation of excitory neurotransmitters like epinephrine and dopamine.  The doctor seemed to not think so.  Anyone know whether benzos can counteract excess dopamine and epinephrine?  Is it possible for alprazolam to mask pheochromocytoma symptoms?

After taking 0.5 mg alprazolam for about 2 months, tapered down to 0.25 mg, then stopped.  Three days later I began having severe withdrawal symptoms (extreme agitation, shaking, confusion, very high blood pressure), but felt fine the first 2 days.  I went back to 0.25 mg for a week, then down to 0.125 mg for 7 days and tried stopping again.  Again, on day 3 I had severe withdrawal.  Went back on 0.125 mg for a week, then down to 1/16 mg for a week.  Stopped again, and yesterday, on day 3 - you guessed it.  I took 1/8 mg yesterday to relieve the symptoms, and so far none today.  I'm thinking of trying 1/16 mg again every other day for a week, then maybe every third day.  Anyone have any thoughts?

Also, recently my physician did a blood test for pheochromocytoma (adrenal gland tumor) wondering if my withdrawal from such low doses was actually not withdrawal but pheo.  I got the results today.  It showed very high levels of epinephrine, and high levels of dopamine.  This could possibly mean I have pheo, but he said the results are not conclusive (if the test was normal, he said it would confirm I did not have pheo, but when it is not normal additional testing needs to be done to find out what is going on).  He is following up with a 24 hour urine test.  Just curious whether anyone had any knowledge of whether alprazolam withdrawal can cause elevation of excitory neurotransmitters like epinephrine and dopamine.  The doctor seemed to not think so.  Anyone know whether benzos can counteract excess dopamine and epinephrine?  Is it possible for alprazolam to mask pheochromocytoma symptoms?

hi mickster,

i am not a doctor. so, giving you my personal experience only. in the past, i took rather high dosage of klonopin for few days. took 1mg a day. it definitely raised the dopamine to me. my sight was so bright that i thought i was shooting a lasor beam from my eyes. hope that this helps.

Sorry I can't help with that one.. I have never had such a test done?  I thought I had them all haha.

Take care!