Struggling and diagnosed with C. Diff

[ma...]

I was diagnosed with C. Difficile infection today after crawling to my GI doc's office on Monday in excruciating pain, nausea, running a fever, and passing nothing but blood, mucous and liquid for consecutive days preceded by occasional bouts of this for the last 2 months. She initially scheduled me for an scope ASAP but called today to cancel it because the C. diff test came back positive, and the C. Diff is probably causing me to have Pseudomembranous Colitis which can be fatal.

She prescribed Flagyl and florastor, but I'm allergic to the Flagyl. Went to ER tonight and they wrote me a script for the only other thing that treats C. diff, and it turns out that it's expensive and no pharmacy has it in stock til Monday.

I'm struggling to find the will to live.

so very tired.

See you in tomorrowland...

Magnollie,

I was just watching a local news cast where a lady had a fecal transplant for C. Diff. Results were quick and certain.

Here is an article that references the New England Journal article.

It sounds icky and has the eewww factor, but seriously, it's for real. You'll know about it before your GI doc does.

I'm so sorry you have this infection.

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/jan/17/science/la-sci-fecal-transplant-20130117

hey guys,

My GI doc called in the Vancomycin oral this morning and I took my first pill a few hours ago. Almost due for my second. I hope I'm not allergic to it but at this point the c. Diff infection is top priority.

I'm being really careful when I move around so as not to perforate my colon... it's incredibly sore esp when I move around and that with th fever tells me the inflammation must be pretty severe. I have a history of very mild Ulcerative Colitis and I wonder how much this c. Diff has flared that up. I've never experienced anything like this before.

I'm managing to stay hydrated, miraculously...

I really hope that the Vancomycin clears it up without a recurrence. but I'm not an optimist. the drug, just for a 10 day cource costed my insurance over $2,000.00 and I'm hoping that my annual coverage limits aren't tapped out if I need more courses of this.

Flip, I joined a C. Diff support site and quite a few unfortunate souls had to have the fecal transplant procedure done, I really hope it doesn't come to that; they had it done due to resistant and recurring C. Diff.

As the song says...

The drugs don't work

They just make you worse

Aw, I'm so sorry. I had this, too, when I was in tolerance withdrawal, it was something awful! But it's soo common. I worked in a hospital and 15 percent of patients left with it  :D

It's highly treatable, you will be just fine. The Vanco is the best too, since its not systemic, goes immediately into your gut. I also had a bad reaction to the flagyl but was too messed up to even think so I just took it.

I know it sucks, but you will recover!! Keep posting and keep us up to date  :smitten:

Thank you for keeping us up to date. Take it as easy as possible. Withdrawal takes the optimism out of us. I'm wishing you well and thinking of you.

my mother had this. she had so much diahrea and it took so long for them to diagnose it. she caught it in a hospital.

good luck. im glad youve been diagnosed and have a treatment.

Magnollie, so sorry to hear you are having to deal with this.  So glad you are getting the treatment you need right now.  Hope you feel better soon...

Sunnyside :smitten:

Aw, I'm so sorry. I had this, too, when I was in tolerance withdrawal, it was something awful! But it's soo common. I worked in a hospital and 15 percent of patients left with it  :D

It's highly treatable, you will be just fine. The Vanco is the best too, since its not systemic, goes immediately into your gut. I also had a bad reaction to the flagyl but was too messed up to even think so I just took it.

I know it sucks, but you will recover!! Keep posting and keep us up to date  :smitten:

my elderly mom was ok until #$>#! hosp got her infected w that mess.

magnolia,

please take all your meds and get rid of the c diff. best of luck hon

thanks all.

Today is day 2 of 10 of the Vancocin. No change, still very ill...  plus my period came today. It sure is making the pain a lot worse.

I don't know how I contracted this, but I have been on a lot of antibiotics (broad spectrum) in the last last year. :\ My pet rabbit has had C. diff infections in the past due to a rare genetic disease which causes his organs to slow down, and so his tummy grows the bug sometimes. He was first diagnosed with it in October 2012, then, treated successfully with Flagyl.

In December 2012 I was put on Zpak and then Omnicef (2nd Zpak and 3rd Omnicef round in 1 year) - by mid January 2013 I became symptomatic.

My bunny's vet has called in Flagyl for my bun to make sure that if he does have any C. Diff bugs in him, they will go away, even tho he tested negative for C. diff, I don't want to give it to him again (and then him give it back to me).

My GI doc's office sent me a ton of info on c. diff and how poor the prognosis is. I really hope I don't end up needing that ... awful, awkward procedure...

:\