Propranonol? Any experience with it?

[ra...]

My psychiatrist just yesterday reduced my valium to 3.5 5mg per day, and added 1 20mg of Propranonol 3 times per day.

Does anyone have any experience with this medication? Thoughts?

Thank you in advance!

It didn't agree with me. My heart rate dropped into the high 40s and also caused me some sleeping issues. However, lots of people have positive effects as it helps with a lot of physical symptoms from withdrawals as it blocks adrenaline from beta receptors. In my case, I had to come off of it, and taper it also. Coming off too fast is not fun, at all!

I prefer metoprolol or clonidine. Propranolol is a very broad acting medication; being the first BP med produce for that purpose.

It drops my heart rate very low.

However, it is used extensively for performance anxiety and will help with the sympathetic outflow. It will NOT help the GABA withdrawal; it will help mask the symptoms.

Oh and clonidine helps me sleep better.

I used propranolol occasionally before I was put on xanax.  It worked for me.  I think it's fine at low doses, especially for people who are concerned with rapid heartbeat and palpitations.

[c0...]
I'm on Propranolol. I was given it for high BP and rapid heart rate. I was taking 20mg twice a day but it seemed to make me depressed. I've lowered my dose to 10mg twice a day and so far it's ok. It is difficult to tell what is from withdrawal and what may be side effects of propranolol. Anyway it has helped the BP and fast pulse even at the lower dose.

I have taken both propanolol, and metoprolol (another type of related beta blocker) for a cardiac condition and experienced fatigue, episodes of low blood pressure and "brain fog" when I first began taking it. Eventually, I sort of "adapted" to it and just stayed on it for quite awhile because no one knew what else to do for my heart condition at the time.

However, it's my understanding that the reason you "adapt" to beta blockers is very much like why you become resistant to benzos — the body actually makes MORE beta receptors, so over time more medication may be needed to have the desired effect. This same effect can also sometimes make getting off of beta blockers difficult — you have to titrate down and some people can have such side effects as thumping heart, tachycardia, sweating, anxiety, etc., during w/d. I eventually had to get off of the metoprolol because for some reason it caused me to have extremely low blood pressure following cardiac surgery. Due to my heart condition and the length of time I had been on it, I did a very slow taper (two years) and still experienced some symptoms, although I could deal with them, but I have never taken it again and never plan to. 

Having said all that, I do believe I did have a positive experience with metoprolol during my last benzo taper. I was having some problems with arrhythmia during the taper and for several days I increased my metoprolol dose and it helped quite a bit. So, if the arrhythmia and pounding heart I experienced was indeed caused by benzo w/d, then the beta blocker was truly helpful. I think I would definitely consider it for SHORT term use if it helps you get through some of the rough patches, but personally I would not want to go through beta blocker w/d again, either. I also want to add, that I THINK it takes quite a bit longer to become "resistant" to beta blockers than it does to become dependent on benzos for although there are some similarities in how the body goes about making new receptors, they are very different receptors with very different actions. I would ask my doctor about that aspect of the drug (how long he thinks you should take it and what getting off of it might be like) so you know what you might be getting into.

Best wishes and good luck!

Am currently on 15 mg propranolol a day -'down from 20.

I was put on it for tachycardia.

While I think it does lower my heart rate most of the times, it also lowers my blood pressure and makes me tired, lightheaded, even dizzy at times.

Propranolol, just like metoprolol crosses the blood brain barrier and it can interfere with your sleep - it does in my case, and it has been proven to induce nightmares and vivid dreams - been there, done that, it can also cause depression.

Another side effect of propranolol I'm dealing with are pins and needles in my hands and feet - my dr said it's anxiety(?!) but I later read that some (few) people report this side effect from beta blockers.

Like Beth said, at times it's hard for me to tell apart my w/d symptoms from my propranolol side effects.

Brasileirao, would you mind sharing your taper schedule for propranolol? - I got mixed messages from 2 drs - one told me that 20 mg is a very small amount and i can just discontinue it (no thank you!), the other one said to cut the dose in 1/2 every 3-4 days, then stop. I honestly don't know who to believe anymore as right now I have a hard time trusting doctors.

Thanks

Amy

OP here, thank you all for your thoughts. I'll need to speak with my doctor about this again -- it appears this medication is not as harmless as she believes. And I'm concerned that 1 x 20mg per day might be a bit high, but she's always been very anti-benzo, switching me to Valium right away.

Also, does anyone have experience exercising while using Propranolol? That's my main fear, exerting myself while exercising, i.e., breathing heavy, high heart rate, etc.

I have. I found it harder to exercise because it slows you down.

I would be too worried honestly though. My doc says exercising is actually for good for recovery... just make sure you aren't over-exerting yourself  :thumbsup:

I take 10 mgs in the morning.  I have a very active job and it doesn't slow me down any.  No physical sxs from it.  No mental sxs from it.  I love my propanalol.  ;D

Brasileirao, would you mind sharing your taper schedule for propranolol? - I got mixed messages from 2 drs - one told me that 20 mg is a very small amount and i can just discontinue it (no thank you!), the other one said to cut the dose in 1/2 every 3-4 days, then stop. I honestly don't know who to believe anymore as right now I have a hard time trusting doctors.

Hi Amy, there is considerable variation in what dose of propranolol suits a particular individual.  It could be as much as a factor of 5 or 10.  So discover your own level and don't feel compelled to go onto a specific dose!

You psychiatrists has possibly substituted propranolol for some valium because propranolol can help with certain types of anxiety.  Although it may help with anxiety it is not a substitute for benzos. 

FWIW Prof Ashton suggests propranol for benzo-withdrawers who get panic attacks although that is not its only indication.

Yup. Some people are far more sensitive to it than others. It's a very old drug, so it acts on a broad range of areas (actually a good thing for anxiety).

I was taking 10mg once per day by mouth and it dropped my HR to the very low 50s. This is why I couldn't exercise well. Many other people don't have this problem.

I then dropped to 5mg. That did okay, but really messed with my sleep for some reason, which is why I went to Clonidine (it helps me sleep). Except that is drying my eyes and nose out like craaaaaazy. The other reason I switched is because, for Xyrem withdrawal, Clonidine is preferred. Benzo and GHB withdrawal are two different animals. My problem has been more related to GABAb drugs than the GABAa drugs. I'm feeling wonderful and I'm actually cutting Valium much faster than the original taper plan. Basically only for sleep right now, none during the day.

It's all give and take. If it's helping you, stick with it.

Best of luck!