Can benzos be doing this?

[Ja...]

I got blood work done a couple weeks ago and althought 3 different doctors told me that my cholesterol levels were fine, I notice that my HDL were very low 22. I know that for men we are suppose to be in the 40-50 range.  Can benzos be causing this drop?

Also what have some of you done to get your HDL up?

Jarocho

Jarocho,

My HDL has been very low, too, for many years. Never thought of benzos causing it, but who knows, now that you mention it.

How are your triglycerides? mine were way below the range also, and they told me to eat more pasta and bread. Heck, I eat so much of it anyway.  :D

Hi Tanya,

My triglycerides are fine 78, but just four months ago they checked them at another hospital and they were 233.

Also my glucose came out at 114 which is funny because two days earlier it was 98 with food in my stomach ???  and I have been eating the healthiest and exercising a lot since I started my taper  :crazy:

My overall choresterol was great at 133, so this might be the reason why docs told me not to be overly concern about my low HDL (3 different docs).

Jarocho

My overall choresterol was great at 133, so this might be the reason why docs told me not to be overly concern about my low HDL (3 different docs).

Same with me. I"ll tell you, though, the first time I have ever checked my cholesterol (many years ago) - I got the results and it was very low. I was happy, something is OK with me, I thought. That same night they had on ABC news a segment about a study that had just come out. Showing correlation between a low cholesterol and depression!!!

Wow, I would kill for a cholesterol level of 133!  If I remember correctly from Jarocho2003's previous posts, he exercises and works out regularly.  When I was age30/31 I was a trialete with a cholesterol level of 134.  That was a looooooong time ago......

Eljay provides a great website.  Here's a handy quick & dirty I have written on an index card:

Improve HDL:  exercise & weight loss

Improve LDL:  diet

And if you're REALLy anal (like me):

You are at Insulin Risk if:

HDL is below 50

Triglycerides are above 150

Fasting glucose is over 110

Target blood sugar (glucose) levels:

Before meals:  90 - 100

After meals:    less than 180

I get the above info from my dr. and various Diabetes and Insulin Resistance websites when researching the subject.  Certainly verify by researching for yourself  I just tend to like to simplfy information I read so that I can refer to it in a quick fashion......

SD