Hello All, New Member here, 20 yrs Valium on and off, now off

[...]

(I am re-posting this because I think I put it in the wrong place).

Hello All:

Please allow me to make an introduction.

My name is Bernie. I am 46 years old. I have been on and off Valium for the last 20 years. I never had a problem stopping (every time I went off) till recently when my dosages went up. This was in the last few month. I had been off Valium for a couple of years but back on for the last two. I was averaging 25 mg/day (in the last 3-4 months). This is much larger than my 10-15 mg/day that I was used to.

I was perscribed Valium for anxiety and to treat I.B.S.

I tried to stop recently but to no avail. The withdrawal symptoms, combined with a (then unknown) wheat allergy, made life a misery. I went back on but resolved mysefl to quitting last month.

I stopped cold turkey 27 days ago. I realize now that this is not the way to do it but I am 27 days in now, so forward I go.

I am having my worst time yet. Inability to focus, lack of attention, changes in libido, cold sweats, all the physical symptoms of anxiety and panic and insomnia... to name to most prevalent.

I said above, the physical symptoms of anxiety, because I realize that this is not my reality, but rather, it is the drug leaving my system. My I.B.S and anxiety is well under control.

Since I am almost a month in, I am going to keep going forward.

This forum is going to be a big help in that I have a place to go to see what other people are going through and a place to vent.

Anyway, thanks for being here.

Hi Riz!!

Welcome to Benzobuddies!!  Pull up a couch and make yourself comfortable!!  What you are experiencing is classic benzo withdrawal symptoms.  I know in saying that....it doesn't make it any easier. But please know you are not alone and you will get great support here.  I went through hell and back and now I am doing very very well.  It will get easier!!

Love,

Jen

Hi Riz,

Welcome to benzo buddies.  Those cold turkeys are a rough way to go but I think you are right in just going forward after being off for so long and you seem to be doing pretty good.  If for some reason you should want to reinstate someone on the forum can help you with that and a safe taper.  I can't help you with a taper but I do know a few things about cold turkey withdrawal.  

Take care and hang around.  If you go to the member blog area you can read others stories and you can start a blog if you want to.  

Ts

Thanks Folks for the kind words.

Since I am close to a month in, I am going to keep going in this direction. If these symptoms get worse, then I will seek advice as to a safe reinstatement.

The funny thing is that my Physician is not well versed in any of this. Actually, this site is the only comprehensive site on the net that I have been able to find.

I am glad to see I am not alone.

I don't fear the w/d symptoms. I think I can hack them. However, I am concerned that this is going to get in the way of work. I could not work today, nor last Friday, due to the symptoms. It is kinda hard to make a sales presentation when you have the shakes and the sweats!!!! I don't want to lose my job over this.

Hi Riz,

Welcome to BenzoBuddies.

Yes, cold turkey is never the way to go. At nearly a month off, I tend to agree that what's done is done, you should probably grit your teeth and tough it out. If your withdrawal symptoms are too sever for too long, then you might try reinstating just a small dose, but it probably won't come to this. At 27 days off, it is usual to still be adjusting, even after following a sensible taper plan, so you will need to allow quite a bit more time before you even consider some other option. It might be an idea to keep some kind of journal so that you can look back and grade your improvement since quitting. It can be quite difficult to look outside of the present and miss the real improvements achieved over the weeks and months.

Take care.