Dr. Catherine Pittman: Invitation to Participate in Study

[Co...]

Hello fellow Buddies,

Dr. Catherine Pittman, Associate Professor of Psychology at Saint Mary's College, has approached BenzoBuddies with a proposal to survey members about our use of benzodiazepines and experience of withdrawal. We expect the survey to be of great interest to very many members, and encourage wide participation. We hope that Dr. Pittman's research will help generate better understanding of the problems associated with benzodiazepine use and withdrawal.

For your survey submission to count towards the research, you must possess a valid 'pass code' and copy the code to the survey form. To obtain a pass code, you must have registered (or register) with the BenzoBuddies Community; there are no further requirements for participation.

Registered members may obtain their unique pass code here:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/cgi-bin/codegen.cgi

To retrieve your pass code, you will be asked for your BenzoBuddies membership name and password. We will supply a list of all valid pass codes to Dr. Pittman; we will not supply or divulge any of your personal information. If you lose your pass code, the code can be regenerated at the same webpage. To ensure that you do not make any mistakes, we suggest that you copy/paste your code to the survey form.

If you have forgotten your BenzoBuddies membership password (required to retrieve your code), please visit this webpage:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?action=reminder

Dr. Catherine Pittman's invitation to participate:

Invitation to Participate in Study

Dr. Catherine Pittmam:

If you are a current or former member of the BenzoBuddies community, you are invited to participate in a study designed to increase knowledge about individuals who are attempting to withdraw from benzodiazepines. You have been chosen to participate in this study because, as a current or former member of the BenzoBuddies community, you are a good source of information about the process of benzodiazepine withdrawal.

You will be asked to complete a survey. The results of the survey will be presented to professionals (physicians, therapists) who treat anxiety disorders. The findings will be presented at a national conference on anxiety in California, in order to make health care providers more responsive to the needs and concerns of people like yourself. By participating in this research, you help us to educate American health care providers about the effects of benzodiazepines and the difficulties associated with withdrawal. You do not have to live in the United States to participate in the survey.

If you choose to participate in this research, your responses will be anonymous, and you will not be contacted in the future. You should be able to complete the survey in less than 20 minutes. The survey will be available online until March 29, 2013.

If you are interested in participating, click the link below or cut and paste it into your browser.

Click here to take survey

If you have questions, you can email Dr. Catherine Pittman at:

cpittman@saintmarys.edu

The wider the participation from members, the greater the significance of the survey results. This is an important opportunity for members to contribute to a better understanding of benzodiazepine use and withdrawal.

If you wish to comment about the survey, or have any questions, please visit here:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=74609.0

Thank you,

Colin.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Co...]

• [...]

• [Mo...]

• [ea...]

Dear Collin,

Finally some interest is being shown to hear our voices and put forth our experiences to help educate a larger medical community than our single voices have been able to do.  Coming together to do the survey is a start.  I feel the tide is slowly but surely going to turn in the US with the medical profession's as well as public's knowledge of benzodiazipines. This survey isn't going to help any of us recover faster nor lessen what we are experiencing now but it will be so rewarding to participate and know someone is hearing us, validating us.

I most definitely will participate in the survey. I'm sure BB will have a large turn out with this request.

Thank you Collin for providing us this opportunity, coordinating it on your end.

And thank you to Dr. Catherine Pittman for her interest.  Her findings can put forth information that will effect thousands, millions of lives in the future.

Stillbelieving we will all heal  :angel:

Hopeing that this study will help those some day in the future,that may be facing the decision  to take benzos .  I'm hoping that there may be some kind of warning lable.

At last something we can do to help further broken families and the night mare these drugs do to one soul.

Thank you and God bless you !

hanging in there

Hi Colin, I would like to participate but just wanted to clarify if Dr Pittman wants participants who were prescribed meds for reasons other than anxiety, (Cipro induced insomnia in my case).

Thanks

Hi Colin, I would like to participate but just wanted to clarify if Dr Pittman wants participants who were prescribed meds for reasons other than anxiety, (Cipro induced insomnia in my case).

Thanks

Hi , I thought this too at first. When I looked at the survey it seems it's relevant whatever the reason you took benzos. It appears more concerned with withdrawal than reasons for taking.

I think this point could be clarified though.

Dave

Just got done with the survey. I put in all positive remarks for Benzo Buddies and the staff here. :smitten: So glad they are doing this survey!!!

Chrisw

This is great Colin, I will fill out the survey.  I'm curious, will she be sharing the results with us?  I'm sure a lot of us would like to see it.

took the survey, hope  many will participate as this is one way to get the word out in the United States . Thank you for posting this and to the Dr for conducting this survey,

Ladygrace12

Thanks

Hi ihope,

When you go through the survey, it becomes very transparent that Dr. Pittman is interested in hearing from anyone taking benzodiazepines, no matter the reason, even from those that were not prescribed benzodiazepines (illicit use). Your contribution to the survey would be very welcome.

Colin.

Thanks

Hi , I thought this too at first. When I looked at the survey it seems it's relevant whatever the reason you took benzos. It appears more concerned with withdrawal than reasons for taking.

I think this point could be clarified though.

Dave

I just clarified this for ihope; and, confirmed - any and all contributions are welcomed, irrespective of the reasons for taking benzodiazepines (or Z-drugs).

This is WONDERFUL! Validation like this is needed for so many! It's so important that the medical profession as well as the general public hears from those of us who have gone through, or who are still going through, the wretched "benzo journey!" I live in Southern California. I sure wish I could be at that conference!

I will definitely participate in this study.  :thumbsup:

THANK YOU COLIN!  :smitten:  And thank you too, Dr. Catherine Pittman!  :)

Kimba

I'd really like to take the survey but when I try to create a code it times out. Any suggestions?

Must have been a connection or server glitch. Try again. If this continues, send me a PM and I'll have it checked it.

This is great Colin, I will fill out the survey.  I'm curious, will she be sharing the results with us?  I'm sure a lot of us would like to see it.

Dr. Pittman intends to present her findings to a conference on Anxiety in a few months. I'll ask her about further distribution of the study.

I got it to work. Just took the survey. I'd be interested in seeing the results as well.

Good.

I'd be interested in reading the results too.

Colin, I'm curious. Is admin sending out a mass email on this? I got one. Just wondering if it's from you.

Thanks,

Flip

Hi Fliprain,

Yes, all members are being contacted by e-mail.

I am delighted to have participated in this!!! Like so many of us, I am now a crusader against the over-prescription of benzos and Z drugs. Thank you so much!!!