The Xanax Club, Let Us Know How You Are Feeling Today

[...]

Does any one else get really hot and a fever like feeling with their bedtime xanax dose? it doesn't happen every night but when it does it ruins any chance of sleep for the night, is it a sign of a too fast taper? I taper .003 per night but having a 3 night in a row sleep issue so i may need to hold which Ive never really done. I dint know why the medication has switched on me and is making me hot and a poor reaction just now :/

Extreme temperature changes while on a benzo and/or tapering are very common. I go from shaking for hours in the morning with freezing cold to feeling like parts of my body are literally on fire, daily.

Here is the cause as detailed in "What is happening in your brain,"

What's happening inside your brain

Hypothalamus This is the structure that is responsible for regulating body temperature. In early withdrawal, my body temperature would drop to 96 degrees in waves! Then 3 hours later, it would return to normal. I'd literally freeze in terror in bed for hours.  I am sure it is more complicated that JUST the hypothalamus, but I could picture this part of my brain retuning and restructuring, and it was less scary that way.

The following structures in the brain are part of the "gray matter" or the "cortex "and what we consider to be the "higher brain"- the thinking and processing parts.

It's normal, and nothing to be afraid of, it's not a sign of illness. Ice packs, or a bag of frozen peas on the back of the neck work best for me.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [to...]

• [Di...]

• [...]

• [se...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi xanax peeps. I'm really needing input on possible ways I can stabilize out of DR & visual distortions. Thanks in advance for anyone who takes the time to read. I'm at a point of desperation. I'll copy paste from another post what's going on it should contain all info that could help.

I've made several posts about my Derealization & visual distortions 24 /7 for months.

I know we aren't doctors, but I'm just needing someone that must have ideas to help me, please. More ideas than I have. I Havnt gotten much feedback on what to do to stabilize.

I can't judge visually, emotionally, nor cognitively what's going on. I can't drive. I'm not in severe with drawl but the DR & visual distortions started sometime soon after I switched out half my clonazapam that I'm pretty tolerant to(most of its effectiveness, anxiety, panic, 𝗦𝗹𝗲𝗲𝗽) plus am having bad mood swings, morning anxiety, cog fog, poor short term memory, irrational irritability, fatigue. Super depression, but have good moments & longterm TRD is my thing.

I feel like I need a plan to stabilize out of the DR visual stuff & at least & then taper. I could then take a walk. Drive, look at nature & my loved ones & self & recognize what is real.

I'm awful with scales, math etc. But think scale dry cut will be my only way. Maybe learning that could help me stabilize? Like even I should weigh my .25 Xanax taken as needed during the day?

I'm feeling like at this point maybe I should just dry eyebal cut & go faster to get out of this dysfunctional state. I have so far to go to taper properly, which I don't even know what that is anymore with these symptoms.

If anyone can help or knows someone that can please chime in.

Was thinking risky but maybe need to cross all to diazepam for taper simplicity sake & to hopefully stabilize & get off these dang things. Sorry whiny bad day.

My other threads that might have helpful info

Think my first post on recent symptoms, others have similar, but are off or much lower than me, no plan

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=240273.msg3076903#msg3076903

Early pst on this,y symptoms

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=241311.msg3087097#msg3087097

Visuals from Xanax? Symptoms my experience explained

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=241324.msg3087178#msg3087178

Crossing from 2-1/cross back to clonazepam?

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=241396.msg3087939#msg3087939

Crossing from X & K to V

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=241784.msg3091768#msg3091768

Member suggest Ross to all V

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=241274.msg3086931#msg3086931

Thanks

SCAREDIE

Those are extreme withdraw experiences, I have had most of them, as have most folks.  I was riding my bike across a bridge over the river and everything turned upside down. It was horrifying, I was in the sky with the river above me.

All I can say is recognize these are all manifestations of your brain trying to operate efficiently. And they are so discouraging, because it feels like you can't live your life.

As I am not a doctor, I can not advise, nor do I know of, any way to stop these experiences.

Except 1; Acceptance. When you are fighting these symptoms and trying anything any way to get rid of them your completely focused on them. They just won, they have your full attention. This is not easy. When the DP/Dr come try to observe them. you are already feeling like your not inside yourself, so be outside yours elf and look at the experience objectively. I know, how on earth to do that?  Think of your symptoms as what they are-your brain trying to cope. Validate it, and say outloud something like, "Hi there DP, you do your thing and make me feel like I'm a split person, but I am not going to try and stop or fix you. I am going to let you do your thing, and you get as weird as you want. Your a symptom, I will survive, you will run your course in time."Then put your mind on something else. If you can't get up, listen to music, sing, get audible for kindle, anything to put your attention on while these symptoms are trying to suck you into their distorted reality.

The good news is that all of them pass in time. Once you get rid of the dread and fear of the symptom (take your time) it no longer is in control, you are. I was visually sideways and upside down in spells for a few months, now it only rarely comes to visit me.

You can get through this with acceptance, validation, perspective of the symptom being what it is, your brain trying to stabilize and tapping into and using your own power. You have so much more strength than you know, you need to start using it.  You can, I promise.

Heading into day 6 with my first cut of 0.125mg from my 1mg which I have been on for just over 1 yr. I just tapered off Ativan 4 mg after 1 yr 7 weeks about a month ago.

Now I have the second fu...ign benzo. My psych today said the 1 mg usually takes 6 mo. to get off. Since I was taking my Xanax just to potentiate my Ativan for sleep, I am going to go slower to make sure my sleep consolidation holds. My benchmark is 8 mo.  I also take 1 gram of depakote, for which I am lucky enough to get a somnolent effect.

I am suddenly getting nausea every early evening before dinner. Is this normal? Last, I do very very precise cuts with a blade to make sure I am 98% absolutely taking the same dose every night. I hope to get to know you folks. My Ativan group was the best. They actually saved my life when I literally did not know what to do. Powerball

Hi, long time Xanax user here. Just thought I'd join in since I am tapering as well. I'm 7 months in and tapering from a dose of 2 and a half and am now down to .875.  It's super tough getting off this stuff. It's like a serious marathon. I get a lot of nausea when I cut my dose and for a few days after. Usually after a week, that eases off and I get new sx.

I am also looking for buddies. There doesn't seem to be a strong Xanax support group. I tried to get something going on the buddie blog section but very few people have commented. Anyway, I'm here and also looking for support. Xanax is a tough one. I think probably only Klonipin is tougher to get off based on what I've read. But, I'm plugging along.  :)

Baddove....that was an exceptional nice dairy to me and I also appreciate the comments of SR. My psych said 1 mg of Xanax usually takes 6 mo. to taper off, but was supportive of my plan to take 8 mo. I have now completed 16 nights at .875 ( I cut off 0.125 and will do so one month at a time).  My early nausea has gone away. Since I am working from home this Fall, (already since April),  I now realize what a toll on my body the Ativan had on me for just over one year. I am very de-conditioned. I started a short new exercise routine three days ago and I already am better.

My sleep is still consolidated, which is critical for me. I will very likely stay on the depakote period. I was diagnosed bipolar after a plunge of events. I have never had a full blown manic event, basically 2 small ones and never depressive. I still contest my psych's diagnosis, but whatever. My chief concern is my compressed speech, very fast, sometimes mumbled talking. I was always an effective fast talker but with a very narrow range of being "too fast." Now that is my chief demon. And my very high level job gives me so much anxiety, even to speak. The depakote is supposed to help that. Not enough yet. Hopefully like the Ativan, I will resist the desire to move quicker to get off when I reach the lower dose.

In my last day of my Ativan dose - 0.01mg (crumbles) I described that I did not jump at all, but slowly emerged from the shallow edges of the ocean water lapping the beach and walked out and on to the sand. And you know what, after that day I never felt any different. The Ativan was just gone. I hope I can take the same approach here. Than you, my new friends. Powerball.

I like your plan Powerball. If your ready to taper the x, that longer time will help.

As to being bi-polar, I have no idea if you are. I do know many people in benzo wd get labelled as such (I did, and I am not bipolar. This was at a mental hospital, not from my therapist of 4 years.)

it really doesn't matter right now anyway. It means more meds, quite frankly, and this is not the time for that. When the mental hospital diagnosed my acute withdraw as being bipolar, they said it was impossible for someone to be in extreme anxiety all day, much less a whap of withdraw after being off the med for 2 years. I had been med free for 2 years, but got hit with a wave. They wanted to put me on 4 medications. I declined, and checked myself out of the hospital. The wave ended after time on it's own.

I foolishly get back on xanax several years later, and dealing with the whole mess again.

Best of luck on your xanax taper, and thank you for sharing in here.

Interesting. I was also diagnosed as bipolar during a really bad period of anxiety but other doctors have said it's generalized anxiety, ocd and panic disorder. I think one reason for the diagnosis is that I can't tolerate any anti-depressants without having an extreme reaction. But, I'm really not wanting to go on more medications if I don't have to.

We are so off the wall when in hard wd or distress, we can be manic, depressed, not moving, all kinds of behaviors that could be seen a a mental illness.

However, it is common to behave in this fashion in benzo withraw. Those who know about BDW will recognize it for what it is. Those who don't know could label it bipolar.

The only problem is if your given a mental health label (bipolar,) the person who designated that mental illness will want to put you on medications to treat what they see as bipolar or another illness. I have seen it done to a few people who were in acute wd, were sent to hospital for seizures, diagnosed with a mental illness, and put on an SSRI and other meds which completely sent them over the edge.

Hi, long time Xanax user here. Just thought I'd join in since I am tapering as well. I'm 7 months in and tapering from a dose of 2 and a half and am now down to .875.  It's super tough getting off this stuff. It's like a serious marathon. I get a lot of nausea when I cut my dose and for a few days after. Usually after a week, that eases off and I get new sx.

I am also looking for buddies. There doesn't seem to be a strong Xanax support group. I tried to get something going on the buddie blog section but very few people have commented. Anyway, I'm here and also looking for support. Xanax is a tough one. I think probably only Klonipin is tougher to get off based on what I've read. But, I'm plugging along.  :)

Hi SRR -  It's been 21 years daily on Xanax for me and I'm currently 10 months in.  Started at 4 x times daily taking .75 total.  -  I'm at .31 total daily now and in process of slowly weaning from down to twice daily.  I know my starting does is lower than a lot of people but taking it 4 times daily every day for more than 2 decades makes it just as hard to quit.  Going super slow.  Took a 5 month break because of quarantine stress.  Instead of increasing my dose I baked constantly and gained 14 lbs.  :laugh:

Good evening all! We can be small, post, and then Grow! I am still on my initial .125 cut 20 days ago. After those first couple of days of nausea, it went away. If all goes well I have made the decision to cut another .125. after 30 days. I was going to hold the first two months (post about 3 weeks after my Ativan taper), but will taper on. My psych said that 1 mg usually takes 6 mo. But let's be real here. He has read it, seen it, but "never" done it. I told him my plan was to take 8 mo. and was ok. I am going to Zihuatanejo Mexico for Christmas week so I have decided to not taper at all that month. Last year Christmas week in Lima Peru I did the same thing. I pre-cut all my Ativan doses in tinfoil, one for each night and at airport check-in I actually said I had medicine tinfoil so as to not have to be searched.  It worked fine. My long point here is that my taper, god willing, and that we are not dead from Covid, I will taper in 7 mo. A compromise. Stay safer. Always. Good night Powerball.

Good plan powerball. It sounds like you have a pdoc who works with you. That is rare, and makes such a difference.

Hang in there, you seem to know how to read what your body can handle.

I hope your trip is a nice beak. Sometimes, we are so scared of a trip/vacay, imagining the worst, but when we actually get there, we calm down, a lot.

I think it's the change of environment that feels good.

Someone here posted about a post-xanax jump and still having 18 mo. of hell. I cannot find that post. I would like to respond but I cannot tonight. I will, but I have to go to bed now. I am a STRICT 1130p. Powerball.

• 4 weeks later...
I was put on Kalamazoo .25mg  2x daily morning/evening in Dec. 2019.  After three weeks, I  went into tolerance withdrawal (which I figured out on my own).  I was hyperventilating between doses, my blood pressure would get as  high at 185/120, and then one day it just dropped to 90/56 in late February.  I started to feel like I could start tapering off this stuff. I split one.25 mg pill into four pieces and began the taper.  I dropped by 1/4  of the pill.  I went through horrible side effects, panic, anxiety, inability to sit still, depressed breathing, major digestive issues (almost had my gallbladder removed).  I had to hold for over 30 days to stabilize, then I cut down by half of that dose 1/8 and I managed.  My husband thought we should slow it down and reduce every week by 2.5% of the pill, which we did for two weeks.  The third week was really tough, and I have held for another three weeks to stabilize.  I don't know why I am having such difficulty coming off such a low dose?  I literally have just about every symptom there is.  I had to go on B12 (dangerously low levels)  and I am sensitized to all vitamins and medications.  I am about to dose down again, but I feel I am doing this all wrong...

Good evening Seasalt. I was the King of the micro, micro cut at the Ativan Support group. You can see my timeline coming off 4 mg of Ativan. Every "body" is different, but there is no way I could tolerate a 1/4 cut of a .25 mg pill. I have a micro scale. I can put my technique here if you like. It is very tedious to start and then easy as hel...to maintain.

Since you are having such withdrawal I would suggest/contemplate a cut of 0.001mg (yes that low of a dose). Stay with that does for 2 days, if you are ok, then do another 0.001 after 2 days. That would have you at .248mg, etc. When I got to the low doses of Ativan, I was so afraid of any symptom return (which I did not have for months) I cut .001mg every three days. At the end, I could barely see the crumbs. This will take you longer, but I wanted to stay symptom FREE, to hel..with the time. You will of course need a micro scale for about 24 bucks at Amazon.

From mg tag you see I am 1mg of Xanax. My timetable, if all goes well, is about 7 months. Last month I cut .125mg (had nausea the first three days and it went away). I am holding for 1 mo. In about 10 days I will cut another .125 and then I will be at .75mg. My issue is sleep consolidation. That is why I was on two benzos in the first place. Ativan for sleep and Xanax as a booster pre-Ativan. So far, my sleep is fine with a few hiccups.

I am one of the fortunate ones who takes depakote at night and it has a somnolent effect on me. Please know my body/brain chemistry is not yours. This is just what helped me. But you can only do my method with absolute precise measurement.

Hi Dovetail too. I will try and hang our here more. Hard to let go of my great Ativan group. Goodnight. Powerball

Hi xanax peeps. I'm really needing input on possible ways I can stabilize out of DR & visual distortions. Thanks in advance for anyone who takes the time to read. I'm at a point of desperation. I'll copy paste from another post what's going on it should contain all info that could help.

I've made several posts about my Derealization & visual distortions 24 /7 for months.

I know we aren't doctors, but I'm just needing someone that must have ideas to help me, please. More ideas than I have. I Havnt gotten much feedback on what to do to stabilize.

I can't judge visually, emotionally, nor cognitively what's going on. I can't drive. I'm not in severe with drawl but the DR & visual distortions started sometime soon after I switched out half my clonazapam that I'm pretty tolerant to(most of its effectiveness, anxiety, panic, 𝗦𝗹𝗲𝗲𝗽) plus am having bad mood swings, morning anxiety, cog fog, poor short term memory, irrational irritability, fatigue. Super depression, but have good moments & longterm TRD is my thing.

I feel like I need a plan to stabilize out of the DR visual stuff & at least & then taper. I could then take a walk. Drive, look at nature & my loved ones & self & recognize what is real.

I'm awful with scales, math etc. But think scale dry cut will be my only way. Maybe learning that could help me stabilize? Like even I should weigh my .25 Xanax taken as needed during the day?

I'm feeling like at this point maybe I should just dry eyebal cut & go faster to get out of this dysfunctional state. I have so far to go to taper properly, which I don't even know what that is anymore with these symptoms.

If anyone can help or knows someone that can please chime in.

Was thinking risky but maybe need to cross all to diazepam for taper simplicity sake & to hopefully stabilize & get off these dang things. Sorry whiny bad day.

My other threads that might have helpful info

Think my first post on recent symptoms, others have similar, but are off or much lower than me, no plan

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=240273.msg3076903#msg3076903

Early pst on this,y symptoms

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=241311.msg3087097#msg3087097

Visuals from Xanax? Symptoms my experience explained

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=241324.msg3087178#msg3087178

Crossing from 2-1/cross back to clonazepam?

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=241396.msg3087939#msg3087939

Crossing from X & K to V

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=241784.msg3091768#msg3091768

Member suggest Ross to all V

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=241274.msg3086931#msg3086931

Thanks

SCAREDIE

Those are extreme withdraw experiences, I have had most of them, as have most folks.  I was riding my bike across a bridge over the river and everything turned upside down. It was horrifying, I was in the sky with the river above me.

All I can say is recognize these are all manifestations of your brain trying to operate efficiently. And they are so discouraging, because it feels like you can't live your life.

As I am not a doctor, I can not advise, nor do I know of, any way to stop these experiences.

Except 1; Acceptance. When you are fighting these symptoms and trying anything any way to get rid of them your completely focused on them. They just won, they have your full attention. This is not easy. When the DP/Dr come try to observe them. you are already feeling like your not inside yourself, so be outside yours elf and look at the experience objectively. I know, how on earth to do that?  Think of your symptoms as what they are-your brain trying to cope. Validate it, and say outloud something like, "Hi there DP, you do your thing and make me feel like I'm a split person, but I am not going to try and stop or fix you. I am going to let you do your thing, and you get as weird as you want. Your a symptom, I will survive, you will run your course in time."Then put your mind on something else. If you can't get up, listen to music, sing, get audible for kindle, anything to put your attention on while these symptoms are trying to suck you into their distorted reality.

The good news is that all of them pass in time. Once you get rid of the dread and fear of the symptom (take your time) it no longer is in control, you are. I was visually sideways and upside down in spells for a few months, now it only rarely comes to visit me.

You can get through this with acceptance, validation, perspective of the symptom being what it is, your brain trying to stabilize and tapping into and using your own power. You have so much more strength than you know, you need to start using it.  You can, I promise.

Badove, thank you for your feedback. Not leaving me hanging. And relating your experiences to mine that helps me feel less alone. Those you went through Sunday scary for sure.  The acceptance is good advice, indeed. I just wonder if this is a Xanax thing & or if crossing back over to all klonopin or all Xanax would/could get rid of it. I'm not having the dp like you did I don't think. I think I'm having more Derealization where I feel disconnected from others with constant visual distortions. I suppose I have some dp, too, but it's not like I feel like I've left my body & I'm looking at myself, just things aren't right, like I wrote.

I'm considering trying to find a benzo wise doc to help me get better, as I've never experienced this before. It's really hard on SO, cause I can't drive, but need to go places. It's weird cause I don't feel like I'm in acute withdrawal. It's hard to tell what's what anymore. The Xanax was helping my insomnia, but lately it's not. I hate to start another phsych med, but if one could help me sleep, I think tapering my night dose would be much easier.

Sorry If I'm rambly & Im Extra, not right today. I wanted to reply & thank you. Scaredie

Good evening Seasalt. I was the King of the micro, micro cut at the Ativan Support group. You can see my timeline coming off 4 mg of Ativan. Every "body" is different, but there is no way I could tolerate a 1/4 cut of a .25 mg pill. I have a micro scale. I can put my technique here if you like. It is very tedious to start and then easy as hel...to maintain.

Since you are having such withdrawal I would suggest/contemplate a cut of 0.001mg (yes that low of a dose). Stay with that does for 2 days, if you are ok, then do another 0.001 after 2 days. That would have you at .248mg, etc. When I got to the low doses of Ativan, I was so afraid of any symptom return (which I did not have for months) I cut .001mg every three days. At the end, I could barely see the crumbs. This will take you longer, but I wanted to stay symptom FREE, to hel..with the time. You will of course need a micro scale for about 24 bucks at Amazon.

From mg tag you see I am 1mg of Xanax. My timetable, if all goes well, is about 7 months. Last month I cut .125mg (had nausea the first three days and it went away). I am holding for 1 mo. In about 10 days I will cut another .125 and then I will be at .75mg. My issue is sleep consolidation. That is why I was on two benzos in the first place. Ativan for sleep and Xanax as a booster pre-Ativan. So far, my sleep is fine with a few hiccups.

I am one of the fortunate ones who takes depakote at night and it has a somnolent effect on me. Please know my body/brain chemistry is not yours. This is just what helped me. But you can only do my method with absolute precise measurement.

Hi Dovetail too. I will try and hang our here more. Hard to let go of my great Ativan group. Goodnight. Powerball

Hi Powerball,

You seem to know your stuff when it comes to tapering. I'm on both klonopin & xanax & having Derealization with constant visual distortions. Also having other health issues that are really making this tougher.

I'm not sure how I'm going to proceed. I may seek another p doc Thats benzo wise, as I'm so wanting out of this dr visual stuff & of course off the benzos, but it's risky because my doc doesn't push my taper, but is not benzo wise. Something for sleep would be so helpful, but risky with my destabilized state. And I'm so sideceffect prone. The Xanax was helping my sleep as I'm so tolerant to klonopin. But lately it's not. More to it than that, but sleep important-is what's holding up big part of this wean. And all is so difficult in this condition. Cognition etc.

My Xanax are .5mg football shaped with a score down the middle.  I've been breaking them in half for day doses. My klonopin are round .5mgs that crumble easily. Can only get a rough break in half if lucky. I have a Jewelry scale, but have no clue how to use. Do you think you could help me when I'm ready?

Congrats on your other wean. Thanks

Scardie, Goodevening! I am no expert at all, but finishing off Ativan, maybe I am skilled a little at the micro, precision cut. Already it seems to me that Xanax needs the same approach. It must be completely accurate every time you cut. Does your scale go to 0.001mg? If not, you need one.  I have a Gemini II I think.  Whenever you are ready you can message me if I am not here a while. I go back and forth here and with my Ativan group. Since I got on both benzos just for sleep, my sleep preservation has been a big part of my micro approach, at least at the end. Good night all. I will try and post tomorrow to make some more friends. Powerball.

SRR, I am told with the site re-org this group got really split and damaged. I do not know why they did that. We need to regroup and Post! I am trying. Powerball.

Hi Everyone,

I am down to 1 mg now and break my pills so I can dose 4 times a day.  I have been at this since January 11, 2019 and started between 3.5 and 4 mg of Xanax. 

I need advice.  I need to move on with my taper and make a cut but am not sure how as all I have is pills and very bad vision so a scale will not work for me.  I am wondering if I can continue to do cuts of .125 or if that will be too much?? 

My therapist today suggested that I start moving back one of my doses until I do not take it anymore and then will be down to .75 mg.  I am not sure she understands how big a cut that is. From 1.0 to .75 is a 25% cut but she says to do this over a 2 week period and then do the same on another of my doses.  If only it was that easy.

Any suggestions would be great.  Right now I have been doing ok and not too many symptoms and am scared to make a cut because I can function right now and know with ANY cut I could be sick and feeling like crap again.  I also know if I do not make a cut I will never get off this Xanax and will not heal.  I want to heal so badly. 

I hope all are doing well.

Hugs,

Julia

I am new to this site. I have been on .25mg 2x daily since December of 2019. I am having difficulty dosing down (only down 20%) of the original dose since March.  With each dose down I have extreme anxiety on day three, gut issues, sweating,  and just about every symptom you can imagine. In the last three months after a dose down,  I have  developed red spots on my arm that turn purple and eventually disappear after a couple of weeks.  I am concerned I have a blood issue of some kind.  My labs in June showed normal levels, but I am concerned as with each dose down the spots are more prevalent.  Anyone else had issues with this?  My biggest fear is the Dr. will require me to discontinue Xanax due to this side effect.  I know I am extremely sensitized to it and had settled on the fact that this would be an extremely slow taper to be safe.  Any comment is greatly appreciated...

Hello fellow warriors. I am going to get to each of you as I can. Remember, I am not a doctor. I only have my own experience to go on, and the collective experience of many BB members. 

All of you: It's going to be OK, not easy, but your going to get there. You are not alone. And, I care about each of you as does the BB leadership. We are here to help, and always appreciate input from buddies who have advice or information to share.

For everyone with scale/ reduction problems:

I have 2 Gemini Jewelers scales.That way I can cross check weights with another scale. They will be off by a few digits about half the time (the 2 scales, so I average the number.) You can call the company at any time, I had to in the beginning (many times) , to get help. Not the best scale on the market, but most people in BB use Gemini. The real quality jewelers scales cost several hundred dollars.The math was overwhelming, as it is for many of us.

Video on using the Jewelers scale. It might be a bit overwhelming, so bookmark it if you need to look at it when your cognition is better.:

The Math:

Some notes that should help. First I keep a chart of weight. That way I don't have to do the math every time. For example. a full pill is 128 . So my chart would look like:

1mg = 128

.5 mg = 64

.25 mg =32.

This starter is at the top, then I create another list going down by 5%, divide full dose by 20, that number is 5% from the original. Always calculate your cut, whatever percentage it is, from your current weight, not your starting weight.)

Example;

128 full 1 mg

6.4 is 5%, subtract 6.4 from 128, and you have 121.6

repeat:

126 mg divided by 20 =6.08, subtract from 126 and you have 119.92

The chart would look like this:

(for 5% cuts)

113.9 24

(for 2.5% cuts) Two ways to get 2.5%. 1. Divide the start number by 40, then subtract that from the dose. Or, divide the start dose by 20, divide that number by 2. then subtract it from your start dose.

You don't have to make 2.5% cuts, but the numbers are there if you hit a rough spell and want to slow down.

Knowing the basic full dose, half dose, and quarter dose for weight is help full. Next, I suggest a second chart for monitoring your taper.You can make it as small as  :

etc.

There are a few ways to use this list of going down by 1 each time. You can micro taper. The issue with this is, the Gemini scales are not accurate enough to go down by 1 with each cut. Water titration works better for micro tapering, honestly. Or, get a high end scale.

Another method with the list going down by 1 each time is to monitor your bodies preffered taper schedule. Put a check mark next to the doses you are using that day, say 127 as your starting point. Then cut 5%, for example and check off that number as well as how long you waited to cut. Your body might need more time, less time. Perhaps 5% is too much, perhaps you can handle more. I want to point out that sometimes our bodies can handle bigger cuts, other times they need smaller.

It is not a constant, I remind you to remain flexible.

It could look like this:

128 1/1

118 1/28

115 3/28

105 4/7

-wave hit, hold.

100 5/7

98 5/20

-wave, not easing after a month

105 6/20

100 7/15

And so on. Most guidelines discourage up dosing, but for me, if I cant get any relief and am in constant agony, I will up dose a bit. It takes some trial and error to find what puts me in a reasonably stable place where I can function, then start cutting again.

I am not advocating up dosing, but pointing out that I have done it several times. I regained enough function to carry on while in withdraw, and then tapering again, but usually very slowly after an up dose, perhaps only 2.5%

Again, flexibility.

Our bodies need for the benzo is not constant, it varies. Our reaction to cuts also varies. One can get hit in 3 days (very typical), or as I recently did, got slammed  after cutting a total of 15% in 6 weeks. I went through hell holding for 2 months and realized I had to up dose to get the stability I need to continue the process.It was too much for my body, and I had to go back to the starting number. I know now I have to make smaller cuts.

In conclusion, make up math charts in advance.

Make up a progress log (the 128, 127, 126, etc. log as well) Take notes as to waves and windows, if you get them. I advice a notebook with several copies of the charts as well as room to make notes. Notes can include not only your taper, but things you learn along the way that hinder your progress or help it.

Always note a positive experience you have. We very much need to write these down to remind us we are making progress. It can be as simple as you forgot to think about benzos and got caught up in a puzzle, or put eggs on to boil, and didn't forget, and burn the pan and set of the smoke detector.

I keep a blog here on the site, just to vent, positives, even teeny weeny ones, and things I discover that hinder or help.

Be patient. Be flexible. If your afraid and overwhelmed, ask for help

Next, their are a few different methods. You can cut your pills, as in the video (that is what I do.) I don't like using a razor blade (It leads to crumbles), some people use an exacto knife. Gently saw the pills if they are crumble prone rather than making a hard cut. Others grind up their pills with a pestle to get the desired weight, usually for liquid tapering. The instructions for liquid tapering I will link below.

If I cut a dose, and it is awful, I will go back up or down until I feel stable. For example, lets say I just made a cut, and it's too much, I know I am not ready for the next reduction. I do find that 2 weeks is a good wait time, but sometimes need more.

You can also experiment with doses. I was at 90. and in a 2 month wave on that dose, so I just  up dosed over a period of days to a higher number to get out of the wave. If I am in a wave, I can't taper, much less function. Hence, I am flexible. Many things affect our absorption of our benzo. I have migraine medicine, it throws it off. Even aspirin can throw things off.

I have learned not to be rigid. Sometimes I need to increase for a while to get out of a wave, it does not mean I am stopping my taper, I am recognizing that my body need a bit more for the time being. I am talking if you have an extended wave, not the one that hits usually 3 days in after a cut.  Again, I can't taper in a wave, I wait it out and either hold until the wave passes, or up the dose if it's been a month or more.

Links:

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper Plans)

Progress Logs

What's happening inside your brain -This is invaluable. It explains why we can't see, get red spots, turn upside down, and so many symptoms we experience. There are over 100 known withdraw symptoms, this list is compartmentalized into sub categories which explain what part of our brain is behind a particular experience.

Also, find support groups for issues your really struggling with.

Thank you for the privilege of hopefully making the cutting and math issues workable.

Hi Everyone,

I am down to 1 mg now and break my pills so I can dose 4 times a day.  I have been at this since January 11, 2019 and started between 3.5 and 4 mg of Xanax. 

I need advice.  I need to move on with my taper and make a cut but am not sure how as all I have is pills and very bad vision so a scale will not work for me.  I am wondering if I can continue to do cuts of .125 or if that will be too much?? 

My therapist today suggested that I start moving back one of my doses until I do not take it anymore and then will be down to .75 mg.  I am not sure she understands how big a cut that is. From 1.0 to .75 is a 25% cut but she says to do this over a 2 week period and then do the same on another of my doses.  If only it was that easy.

Any suggestions would be great.  Right now I have been doing OK and not too many symptoms and am scared to make a cut because I can function right now and know with ANY cut I could be sick and feeling like crap again.  I also know if I do not make a cut I will never get off this Xanax and will not heal.  I want to heal so badly. 

I hope all are doing well.

Hugs,

Julia

My therapist today suggested that I start moving back one of my doses until I do not take it anymore and then will be down to .75 mg.

Have seen docs recommend this before. This is not tapering. It is ridiculous. No matter how far back you move it, it is way too big of a cut.

If your afraid to cut, don't. Examine your fear. Is it based on past experience? For example, do you know your bodies time frame? Or, are you projecting into the future? When down to the very small doses, tapering does get very hard. A lot of folks get scared near the end, and even postpone jumping when they are down to microdosing.

If your afraid of cutting, you will take that with you into your next cut and be over vigilant in watching and waiting for any tweaks or symptoms. You are stable now, nothing wrong with staying where your at until you are more confident. It's not a race. Whatever you may go through, you have been through it before when cutting.

When your confident and ready to handle whatever happens, micro cut if that helps. However, as your body is acclimated to 1.25, that might be best.

This is not my area of expertise, so hoping others will chime in with their experience.

Look at how far you have come. Be encouraged that you survived to this point. Focus on that more than the fear/experience of your next cut.

I am new to this site. I have been on .25mg 2x daily since December of 2019. I am having difficulty dosing down (only down 20%) of the original dose since March.  With each dose down I have extreme anxiety on day three, gut issues, sweating,  and just about every symptom you can imagine. In the last three months after a dose down,  I have  developed red spots on my arm that turn purple and eventually disappear after a couple of weeks.  I am concerned I have a blood issue of some kind.  My labs in June showed normal levels, but I am concerned as with each dose down the spots are more prevalent.  Anyone else had issues with this?  My biggest fear is the Dr. will require me to discontinue Xanax due to this side effect.  I know I am extremely sensitized to it and had settled on the fact that this would be an extremely slow taper to be safe.  Any comment is greatly appreciated...

First, spotting/red spots on the body are common. Take a breath, it's most likely withdraw. They will pass in time.

As each cut brings intense results, my simple solution is cut less, perhaps half of what you are doing. A lot of intense with draw while cutting is your body telling you it can't keep up with the pace you have set. Even if you feel like it's a small taper, you might benefit going even slower/smaller cuts.

Your doctor will most likely see the spotting as stress related, not a reaction to xanax.

I am not an expert on tapering a small dose, so hope others will chime in.

Thanks for the reply, my guess is low platelets as I have read from a few others that have experienced this.  My hat goes off to you for remaining strong and continuing the taper.  Sending positive thoughts your way!

Hi there!

Lately I have been feeling quite good, even if I've had some anxiety and very little feeling of derealisation, overall I am feeling quite recovered...

It's a blessing as I am standing in a place where I thought I could never be, prior to my tapering process.

Before that, I thought it was IMPOSSIBLE to live without my daily dose of Xanax and I thought I could never have the enough strength to face and endure the withdrawal process.

But here I am now: 21 months off, after 40 years of Xanax daily use! I still cannot believe it!

The best for you all...