The Xanax Club, Let Us Know How You Are Feeling Today

[...]

Blessedhope thank you.. are your palpitations what caused your anxiety? Or vise versa

And thank you I will look into that for the palpations

Nc000 - You're welcome.  We don't know what causes mine since my thyroid and sleep apnea are under control.  I doubt it's anxiety,  although having unsettling heart flutters can certainly cause  anxiety!  :D  I've had heart tests over the years and there's nothing wrong with the old ticker - so I don't worry about them.   

Your doctor can help you find out what's causing yours and hopefully put your mind at ease.  There's lots of things that can cause harmless heart palpitations, including too much caffeine.  Some of those energy drinks are the worst!  Vitamin deficiencies and anemia can also cause them.    Again, your doctor can help you sort it out. 

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [to...]

• [Di...]

• [...]

• [se...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Nc000,

I am interested to know as I am in a similar situation. I live in the US. How did your doctor respond to illicit use? I am currently working on getting a script so I can properly taper with a doctors help. This is legitimate as I went to the ER for bad panic attacks and it seems my doctor is possibly willing to keep me on my 1mg a day for the anxiety, but I am curious if they ask any questions or if they don't care about that and just want to help you.

Please feel free not to respond to this. I understand this is a sensitive topic, but I am intrigued to know how far doctor patient privilege goes.

Folks, I failed trying to direct taper Xanax -

Doc switched me to Klonopin - probably a safety measure.

Since learned there's good reason to taper straight of X, if you've the guts to make it.

I DID NOT KNOW that research confirms Xanax (a "tri-azolam") brutal withdrawal profile. The paper linked (and supporting bibliography) might explain why Doc did not switch me to Diazepam instead.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4021153/

Excellent find. Read the whole paper, it makes sense. It also validates why 2 attempts at crossing over have been horrible fails for me. Thanks. We xanax folks need quality scientific medical data.

Excellent find. Read the whole paper, it makes sense. It also validates why 2 attempts at crossing over have been horrible fails for me. Thanks. We xanax folks need quality scientific medical data.

On that article, the "why we're so special hooked" is in the citations... I've got tons of bookmarks @ ncbi (anyone can get free account, Medscape as well). There's a way to make the "collection" share-able, can send.

But before doing so - please know - ncbi/Pubmed is like panning for gold amongst spawning water moccasins... Can be gravely upsetting (like seeing VERY effective medicine available everywhere but USA) ... (and then realizing how/WHY we can't have it $$) depressing, heart-breaking. Other examples are even more harrowing.

Give some thought over the holiday, I'd gratefully share anything helpful - just cautious over upsetting stuff.

My Klonipin switch (updose) - being very cautious. I trust it's equal, possibly safer for us, to "standard" Diazepam. Doc did expect some "break-through-WD's" - not certain how long those'll persist. Day 4, so far not fully clear of X. Possibly not enough K on board, if nothing changes will call in after holiday for instructs.

Hope you've some joy and mercy over the Holiday  :smitten:

Folks, I failed trying to direct taper Xanax -

Doc switched me to Klonopin - probably a safety measure.

Since learned there's good reason to taper straight of X, if you've the guts to make it.

I DID NOT KNOW that research confirms Xanax (a "tri-azolam") brutal withdrawal profile. The paper linked (and supporting bibliography) might explain why Doc did not switch me to Diazepam instead.

Hi Lost Cause (oh and btw - You're NOT a lost cause.  :))    Have you read Dr. Stuart Shipko's Xanax Withdrawal?  It's excellent, very encouraging  and is available on Amazon Kindle for about $4.    He's a psychiatrist with 30 years experience who specialize in panic disorder.  For years he prescribed Xanax but did an about face.  He believes direct tapers are very effective and doesn't like to do crossovers.   

One thought I had regarding the article you shared is that it represented a single case study.  Some people who may do well on one benzo can have a paradoxical reaction when given another.  That happened to me when I went in for minor surgery.   

Here's a quote from Shipko that might interest you:  ”While it is generally thought that Klonopin and Ativan are less addicting than Xanax, my experience is that Xanax is considerably easier to stop than either Ativan or Klonopin. Dr. Stuart Shipko,  Xanax Withdrawal

Merry Christmas!

Have you read Dr. Stuart Shipko's Xanax Withdrawal?  It's excellent, very encouraging  and is available on Amazon Kindle for about $4.   

I don't have access to Amazon (no bank) nor could I find it @ library, or for download anyplace. The man sounds like a huge asset to the knowlege base - have considered writing to request a PDF. See, Linux (VERY secure) doesn't support whatever hinky "call home" thing they put in Amazon books. And (no, it's NOT FUNNY) they don't make a SECURE "reading tablet". Everything is chrome or iOs, both "call home" BY DEFAULT.

Which kinda sucks, one butt gets sore reading pdf's on a computer screen. Instead of reading comfortably on couch or bed.

My pDoc kind of at a cross roads when he "switched" me (I'm surviving it reasonably) - there's a limit to how much X doc can prescribe, (IN USA) also it's ILLEGAL to Px more than one Benzo (such as for the Ashton / Langley protocol)

Other folks here have said (I still have to resort to a couple .25 - spaced 6 hours - of X to survive) there's problems with all but the 'Actos' generic of Klonazepam. I'll send that along with my "Log" to Doc, he'll adjust.

Could be a "Different Kind" of Doc has more lee way, but I've had this EXCELLENT guy 20 years, (if anyone will prescribe the RIGHT anti-depressant, he's be the only man in down) that's the other "Cute" thing in US - you can't have more than 1 doc.

Have a BLESSED holiday

LC

Zurok - doc was sympathetic but is very familiar with addiction and knows Benzos take a slow taper to get off. He gave me a week script and I think will help me until I get in with a psychiatrist (I pray). It’s really weird to me that me taking 1mg 2x daily, which is how I’ve been taking it.. I tried taking .5 mg 3x daily and had quite a bit of withdrawal. I’m pretty scared TBH.

And as far as that article goes, is it saying it’s not effective to slowly switch to diazepam from Xanax to get off the Xanax? It confused me a little.

The more I read on here trying to “inform” myself the more it’s terrifying me from people’s horror stories so I’m not on here to much now

Nc000,

I understand completely. I am worried about how I can possibly do this without maintaining my job. Even on a 25% taper of xanax from 1mg to .75 was enough to put me over the edge. I suffer from generalized anxiety disorder and even though I may need benzos to cope, I just cannot deal with the idea that I'm dependent on a drug to be normal. It's one of those things that I wish I could just take a year off and heal from this drug. I feel trapped and failed by doctors who got me this way to begin with. Thank you for the information. I fully expect my doctor to cut me off again at some point, and I feel like this will ruin my life.

Aside from my problems. It's typical that people switch to a longer acting benzodiazepine like valium, though in the US I don't even know if this is an option. The best I'd get is probably klonopin. The reason for this is so you can taper slowly and suffer mild withdrawl symptoms because unlike xanax, those benzos stay in your system longer and prevent interdose withdrawl. I have heard some members here have successfully tapered just using xanax, but considering it's so potent and I only take 1mg in the morning, I am pretty much guaranteed a rough taper. I don't know what to do. I am broken and I cannot cope with staying on this drug, but the withdrawl essentially makes me a non-functional zombie. So unless there is a medical miracle that helps people quit benzos much easier (but i doubt it) I think I'm either stuck with xanax for life or I'll end up in medical detox against my will.

Zurek - how long have you been taking it daily? And have you tried a slower taper? I really hope I can find a psychiatrist that will really work with me on this and my plan is to also seek therapy and maybe a couple other forms of support. Also have you tried switching to something like Valium and if so how did that go

I've been on 1mg a day for 7 years. I started with a prescription but then hit some hard times and couldn't afford it. I started getting it without a script and that's what I'm afraid to tell my doc. Even though he started me on 1.5 daily for my anxiety. I plan to tell him I want off, but I want to do it on my terms. I know there are non addictive anxiety meds these days and I would prefer that along with therapy.

I personally can't get valium to try unless the doc agrees to help me taper using it. I've never abused any drug and only taken what I was prescribed. My problem is I'm not an addict because I want the drug, I'm an addict because I'm dependent on taking it. Getting off these forever is what I want and I only recently found out how my body wants it.

I do recommend you have assistance with tapering. You are going to have withdrawls that can be uncomfortable and having someone working with you on it will help if they agree to. Some docs are just weird these days because of how addicting they are.

As far as others around here. I think valium is good for some and not for others. Some were able to transition without much problem. Others cant stand to be on it. I am sure someone else on here who is tapering with valium could help with that info, and again I cant stress enough how important it is that you have an doc of some type help you taper. Doing it on your own will just land you another ER visit if you aren't comfortable with the withdrawl symptoms. Try not to read into the horror stories, some people just have very sensitive central nervous systems which causes them to have pretty terrible withdrawl symptoms. From what I understand these are in the minority, not that I don't sympathize for these poor souls and the hell they're going through. If I had one wish, benzo addiction would be pretty high in my list of making non-existant.

• 2 weeks later...

Clicked on the link out of curiosity since I didn’t cross (too scared) to Valium.  The first page is about Ativan...should I read further (having trouble loading page 2) or is it about Ativan’s failure as a cross?

Courtesy of Lost cause. This is an excellent paper as to why Valium fails so often as a crossover from xanax:

How so very interesting!

Challis99, maybe you can load the pdf version? https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4021153/pdf/WJCCM-3-42.pdf

Here is a list of popular Triazolobenzodiazepines:

"Triazolobenzodiazepines are a class of benzodiazepine pharmaceutical drugs. Chemically, they differ from other benzodiazepines by having an additional fused triazole ring.

Examples include:

Adinazolam

Alprazolam

Clonazolam

Estazolam

Flubromazolam

Nitrazolam

Pyrazolam

Triazolam

Zapizolam"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triazolobenzodiazepine

As indicated in the referenced article, courtesy of Lost cause, other benzodiazepines may not reduce symptoms of w/d of Triazolobenzodiazepines.

Edit:

Midazolam is also a Triazolobenzodiazepine

Question for some one. I am 9 days out without taking any Xanax but yesterday and today are brutal so I took a .0625 this morning which did not help. My question is will this jump off amount contribute to my withdrawal symptoms? I don't plan on taking any more. Another thing any thing for sleep? I can not sleep, I think if I could get a little sleep it would help.. Thanks Much Bob   

Edit: Corrected dose

• 3 weeks later...
Guess I missed this.  So Alprazolam really only has the option of Clonazepam as a cross over? Heck I don't know what to try. I only take Alprazolam 1 time a day and never really had issues with that. I might be okay doing a slow taper directly without a cross over. I agree with Challis that a cross over kind of makes me uneasy. At least I know the monkey on my back.

Question for some one. I am 9 days out without taking any Xanax but yesterday and today are brutal so I took a .0625 this morning which did not help. My question is will this jump off amount contribute to my withdrawal symptoms? I don't plan on taking any more. Another thing any thing for sleep? I can not sleep, I think if I could get a little sleep it would help.. Thanks Much Bob   

Edit: Corrected dose

I can't say anything about the jumping amount, but sometimes rescue doses and reinstating doesn't always work the the same to alleviate symptoms.

As far as sleep. I'd limit blue light a few hours before bed. This mimicks sunlight and makes your body think it's daylight. Also a warm shower to relax muscles, maybe try a little reading to induce drowsiness if you can. My vision is too blurry for it. I can't say it will help insomnia 100% but might improve a little. Best of luck.

Guess I missed this.  So Alprazolam really only has the option of Clonazepam as a cross over? Heck I don't know what to try. I only take Alprazolam 1 time a day and never really had issues with that. I might be okay doing a slow taper directly without a cross over. I agree with Challis that a cross over kind of makes me uneasy. At least I know the monkey on my back.

I am not sure where this is coming from I t looked like there was confusion on whether it was Ativan on Valium that was a seemingly proven poor crossover for X. From what I have seen here most people eventually have successful crossovers to Valium

The primary information is in this post:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4021153/pdf/WJCCM-3-42.pdf

Fi listed the Triazolobenzodiazepines that have a fused triazole ring, making crossing over to valium difficult.

"Triazolobenzodiazepines are a class of benzodiazepine pharmaceutical drugs. Chemically, they differ from other benzodiazepines by having an additional fused triazole ring.

This is not an endorsement or suggestion for anyone to avoid crossing over from xanax to another medication. However, it is a scientific paper detailing why for many it is not successful. Several buddies have crossed from xanax to valium, some found it workable, others have not.

This paper explains why it is not always workable, it's the chemical difference in sub classes of benzo's.

Examples include:

Adinazolam

Alprazolam

Clonazolam

Estazolam

Flubromazolam

Nitrazolam

Pyrazolam

Triazolam

Zapizolam"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triazolobenzodiazepine

As indicated in the referenced article, courtesy of Lost cause, other benzodiazepines may not reduce symptoms of w/d of Triazolobenzodiazepines.

Edit:

Midazolam is also a Triazolobenzodiazepine

The primary information is in this post:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4021153/pdf/WJCCM-3-42.pdf

Fi listed the Triazolobenzodiazepines that have a fused triazole ring, making crossing over to valium difficult.

This is not an endorsement or suggestion for anyone to avoid crossing over from xanax to another medication. However, it is a scientific paper detailing why for many it is not successful.

Baddove - Thank you!  This is valuable information! Perhaps this is partly why Stuart Shipko prefers to do direct tapers with his Xanax patients and has found good results with it.

I think this information can help many decide if crossing over is a good choice from them.

I have read Dr. Shipko's book, and also spoken with him, it was some time back.

It is good to have various medical personnel who work with benzo withdraw to present different perspectives and options.

Heather Ashton is no doubt the queen of benzo withdraw, and her work is invaluable. However, as new information comes to light (such as the referenced paper and study on crossing over to valium,) it is good to have providers who are aware of these potential problems.

I wish we had as many medical personnel who choose to pursue helping people get off benzo's safely and effectively as we do those who prescribe them without informed consent!!