Fluoroquinolone antibiotics, insomnia, chest pain and hypertension -- wow!

Hi Everyone,

I took Levaquin for only five days for a urinary tract infection, and I developed insomnia, chest pain and hypertension. I am sure the antibiotic messed with my withdrawal. I had to take 12 mg of metoprolol, a beta blocker, yesterday and today, and I hardly slept a wink last night. The urinary tract infection appears to have cleared up, but at what a price! I had no choice but to take that antibiotic because the infection was severe, but I hope I won't be on a low dose of a beta blocker permanently now. I am so agoraphobic, but I may have to see a cardiologist, just to be sure I'm on the right drug. A lot of folks prefer propranolol for withdrawal-related cardiac symptoms. I am soooo sick of drugs!

If you have to take one of these poisons, be aware that it can mess with your withdrawal. Another friend of mine took it for a few weeks and he never slept normally again. Not trying to scare anyone here. Just a gentle warning that, if you can take another antibiotic, it would be worth it. They refused to give me amoxicillin, saying it would not help with the urinary tract infection.

Love,

Genie

Hey Genie,

Sorry to hear, that your going though a hard time.

If you keep getting insomnia, really bad, I found meletonin, to help me. But you might want to check with your doctor first, as at an older age, I'm not sure what would be good for you. I took 3mg a night for like a month, and it seemed to help. But I've since stopped it, and seem to be back on track with sleeping well, without it. I would try it just for a night or two, to help you with just getting some sleep.

Take Care,

Becky

This is just more medical incompetence. UTI infections are highly curable with old 1st line antibiotics - Cipro is a sledge hammer to kill a nat.

We used to trust doctors to know the pharmacological reactions with concurrent medical conditions...now all we can trust is that 50 Cipro prescriptions gets them a trip to Hawaii

Sit2Know