help with phenobarb taper

[ro...]

My friend did a Pheno taper from 500 grains she had been taking for over 10 years. She got down to 120 grains in one year and got pretty much stuck there and is still there today.  Pheno is very tough to taper and you need to go super slow.  The last little bit is really extra rough to taper and needs to go even slower so I am told.

Hugs

Bird

Hello again Robin P,

My doctor told me that after 30 milligrams is maintained that the risk of seizure is over.

Also every time you cut it takes 7 or 8 days 4 your blood level to  stabilize.

I found this to be true. My doctor also told me to make a cut from my current does by 1 half every other day. In other words if you are on 50 milligrams you should take 50 milligram 1 day and 25 milligram the next and for a period Of 7 to 14 days. This will allow your blood serum to stabilize. If your physical symptoms are tolerable another cut of 50% every other day can be done. Please check my math!! So now you would say 37.51 day and 18.75 the next day. Then continue on this schedule untill stabilized. I jump at 15 milligram and I will not lie it was quite rough.  do not be shocked if you have severe shaking once you jump. This happen to me. I also had a bit of rage but the shaking and emotional upset it caused ended at 14-16 days. This unlike the Benzo withdrawal has an end in site. The timeline is 2 weeks plus or minus a few days.

4 main unfortunately the Benz withdrawal has continued. :(

I wish you the very best with your withdrawal from phenobarbital!! for me it had to be done. What helps me the most right now is practicing new coping skills as well as focusing on anything positive. Phenobarbital made me depressed and after the 2 weeks passed I started to feel better mentally.

since I came off the phenobarbital I now care about other people's feelings. Where as in the past on xanax I had a very hard time having empathy or feeling much about

anything. This always bothered me greatly but I did not understand what was wrong!!

Today I am very thankful that I now care more about others feelings!! Even though we do not know each other do know that I do care very much because I know what you're going through.

Please hang in there through the phenobarbital. It really does get better.

Your buddy Chuck.    :hug:

Hang in there with the pheno...you body is stronger than it, and the anxiety; just reat to yourself that its all in your mind...it isn't real, even though the knot in your gut is.

Godspeed to you, may your recovery be swift and complete.

David (dmw61)