Do only Psychiatrists prescribe Klonopin?

[Re...]

In order to switch from Klonopin to a Valium taper, I had to fire my Psychiatrist and see a family doctor for a Valium prescription. My Psychiatrist always made a Xerox copy of my Klonopin prescriptions. I have never seen another physician make a Xerox copy of my prescriptions. This raises two questions in my mind.

1. Has anyone been given a Klonopin prescription by a doctor other than a Psychiatrist? My impression is that only Psychiatrists prescribe Klonopin.

2. Has any one seen either a Psychiatrist or any other doctor make a Xerox copy of their prescriptions?

Why would I ask this? I have a hypothesis that may not be correct, and may perhaps be unfair. But I can't help wondering if Psychiatrists have some sort of monetary incentive for prescribing Klonopin that other doctors do not have.

The cozy relationship Psychiatrists and drug companies suggests that this may not be as far fetched as it sounds. Forty percent of drug company marketing dollars go to Psychiatrists.

Klonopin is being prescribed by all sort of doctors. Not just psych doctors. General practitioners, neurologists etc.

Making xerox copys is pretty oldschool, but i've seen it done. Its more digitalized these days

Helperdude, please point me to some evidence that Klonopin is widely prescribed by other than Psychiatrists. My research indicates the opposite.

Well uh.. i dont have anything what to call "evidence" in this matter. I just know this.. just a common knowledge thing for me.  I've been prescribed xanax, klonopin, temazepam, z-bensos by many regular doctors. Currently by a psych doc. My mother is on K too and from a general practitioner, My father is on it.. general practitioner, my uncle is on it.. general practitioner. Yeah.. i know its effed up that half of my family is on it :D My dad and uncle have epilepcy so they have no choise tho. And i have epilectic genes too, aint making my taper plans any easier.

Rearden,

I have also been prescribed Klonopin by other doctors as well.  Im sure the reason for making the copy is to have documentation of your last script.  You are right in your thinking that docs push meds due to kick backs.  That is absolutley true.  I know because I worked in that field for 15 years.  Benzos no longer make any money.  They last benzo to have a name brand was Xanax XR and I think it has gone or is going generic.  All benzos are generic now and due to the class action lawsuit in the UK, Roche is no longer making Valium.  You can still get it in generic but not name brand.

There is no reason for doctors to push benzos because as stated above, they dont make any money.

Im going to bet in the coming years, benzos will not be as widely prescribed as they are now.

In the US, they are a controlled substance and the word is starting to get out about the dangers of taking them long term and the discontinuation syndrome and the protracted sxs.

GG

Hi I don't want to be argumentative.  Its just when I hear "doctors don't make money on benzos" I kind of disagree.

Benzo's are a way to keep patients coming back.  I'm pretty sure that the pdoc that prescribed me 6 mgs K was intentionally trapping me.  She was very concerned about me showing up and insisted I come in twice a month.  so she got paid for my visits twice a month.

My present doc is getting more than 100 dollars a month from me for a 25 minute session.  And this is all about benzos, there is no time to discuss anything else.

The pharmacy is making money on me, I show up every single month.  I pay a $10 copay, but it really costs $70 for the prescription.  And its generic, name brand ativan costs $700. for a prescription for 1 month.  I checked.

I am caught in a system of paying, paying, paying for doctor's and prescriptions, because I cannot just get off it.

Xanax is the number one precribed anxiety drug in the country.  Million of prescriptions.  Lots of people are making money on this.

Rearden,

I have also been prescribed Klonopin by other doctors as well.  I'm sure the reason for making the copy is to have documentation of your last script.  You are right in your thinking that docs push meds due to kick backs.  That is absolutely true.  I know because I worked in that field for 15 years.

GG

I have a close relationship with a physician. She will not treat me because we are close. She said she never prescribes Klonopin. Her patients who are on Klonopin were given it by Psychiatrist. She will not give Klonopin refills, but sends them back to their Psychiatrist. She prescribes benzos, but only with great care.

She says she needs to be cautious about prescribing benzos because she encounters many drug seekers. They often see several doctors to get multiple prescriptions.

My family physician prescribed me klonopin. My husband's doctor was going to prescribed him k as well, he didn't take the prescription. I have 2 friends who was also prescribed k by their family doctors. Many of our members have been prescribed k by their family doctors. By all accounts, all sorts of doctors prescribe this medication. I've even heard of ENT prescribing k to patients.

I'd like to post this as a reminder:

Whilst some of our members report negative experiences with doctors, psychiatrists, or the wider medical profession, and although we do not wish to outlaw comments about how members feel let down and mistreated in their personal medical care, you are not permitted to use this community as a platform to spread general anti-doctor or anti-psychiatry propaganda. Nor should you, unless you are posting a recommendation, name those involved in your healthcare. For more about this policy, please read our Anti-doctor and Anti-psychiatry Sentiments Advisory notice.

I guess Im not sure why someone asks a question here and then when they receive answers from various people they still want to debate.  The original quesion asked was, "Do only psych docs prescibe Klonopin?".  The answer is NO!  It would seem to me that if you ask a question for an answer and people chime in and give you their "personal experience" then the question has been answered.  I dont understand.

Well,

I've only been Rxed benzos by a psychiatrist, but that doesn't really mean  much in answer to this thread question.

My oldest daughters fiancé 's 17 year old son  was Rxed klonopin by their family physician to help him handle his parents  divorce. And then I heard from his dad (daughters fiancé) that the same family physician was offering the kids mom to also give him Xanax for panic attacks.

And I've often seen my previous psychiatrist make copies so to speak of Xanax she wrote for me, but the copies were not xeroxed; they were in a prescription pad that came with a copy duplicate much like checks do. I personally feel it was for record keeping myself.

The same doctor has also phoned in an Rx for klonopin for me also. I agree that this question has been very well answered here.

Intend