Benadryl...anyone know if it is a problem?

[Lo...]

After 2 1/2 years of tapering and hell, I am facing worse with the last 2 mg.  I have very severe sleep problems as well as allergy problems due to mold.  So I started using Benadryl at night to try to get some actual sleep! (for those horrible nights when sleep seems impossible).  I also have stomach problems, jumpy stomach and nausea, so I also take Gravol... anyone know of any problems with taking these? 

Used benadryl sparingly - not much relief there. There is a recent thread under 'other medications' where you'll find more posts on benadry (mine included)

Gravol ...I can't take it, it makes me jittery, irascible, nervous. One of my dr said he never had a patient allergic to gravol, but I guess I'm 'it', as all anti-nausea meds give me the same reactions. I guess I should feel special.

Amy

I have taken benadryl for sleep. If you take it every night it loses it's effectiveness. I am not recommending any med to you but my doctor gave me a prescription for vistaril. It is stronger than benadryl and used for allergies, anxiety and it is very sedating. I occasionally take this at night to aid sleep. It is not a narcotic and similar to benadryl but a little stronger. Again, this is something I have had some success with but you need to check with your doctor. If you are asking about taking your two meds together then no I don't have experience with the two together.

Be well and I hope you get relief.:-)

P2

Hi,

In the U.S. Benadryl and diphenhydramine are the same thing, and I take .25 most nights to sleep.  I try not to take it every night though, and it does seem to help me sleep better.

I am a cautionary tale of using benadryl long term. I also suffered from lack of sleep and thought this would be the "safe" thing to do.  The problem was when I finally decided I needed to stop taking it everyday I suffered some unpleasant wd symptoms from this. Nothing like benzo wd, but still bad enough I wouldn't want to do it again. I'd say, use it sparingly, not everday for months or years. 

I don't know about the other one, but I've been taking benedryl every night for probably at least a year now and don't see any real impact beyond it helping me sleep.  I did look into benedryl for consequences of long term usage and problems getting off, but mainly just found that short term sleep problems (ie, having trouble getting used to falling asleep without it) were about it.

I don't know about the other one, but I've been taking benedryl every night for probably at least a year now and don't see any real impact beyond it helping me sleep.  I did look into benedryl for consequences of long term usage and problems getting off, but mainly just found that short term sleep problems (ie, having trouble getting used to falling asleep without it) were about it.

This was not true for me.

I suffered nausea, headaches, irritability, coughing, etc.  I can only share how it impacted me.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120426225430AAuEsuN

I use it sometimes to help me sleep and it works to an extent. I also find that if I use it too many night in a row that it looses its effectiveness or if I'm suffering from pretty bad anxiety that day it's not strong enough to do much. Worth a try tho

I used it for years every nite for sleep, it was Unisom I took but has the same ingrediant as benadryal, after stopping it it caused painful vaginal symptoms that Drs couldnt figure out what was causing it , thats how I eneded on a benzo. Read my story when I 1st registered if you want to read about it. I say be very careful.

Hi LMFM,

I've heard that gravol interacts with benzos (i.e. enhances the effect) but you should always check with your pharmacist.

Feel better soon. :hug: