Daily Reduction Charts, Liquid Valium Mixes, and Discussion Thread

[d4...]

[d4...]

We thought it would be a good idea to post various charts, Liquid V mixes, tapering equipment needed, etc...in relation to daily microtapering because this information is not readily available. Some of this information was already posted and is scattered all over BB forum. Posts on this thread will not be in any particular order as we are compiling information.

Anyone is welcome to post a MT chart on this thread. Thanks.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [li...]

• [Di...]

• [bu...]

• [he...]

[d4...]

SUPPLIES:

BD TUBURCULIN 1Ml. - 100 INCREMENT SYRINGE

http://i1245.photobucket.com/albums/gg597/liljoeyjj/2e68cb68.jpg

STORAGE BOTTLES - 40/60 MLs

http://i1245.photobucket.com/albums/gg597/liljoeyjj/0d762e07.jpg

GRADUATING CYLINDERS 10/25/50/100 Mls.

http://i1245.photobucket.com/albums/gg597/liljoeyjj/163537cb.jpg

BD LUER LOK 1Ml. - 100 INCREMENT SYRINGE (for those with arthritis or trouble seeing)

http://i1245.photobucket.com/albums/gg597/liljoeyjj/8592da92.jpg

THESE ITEMS CAN BE PURCHASED AT AMAZON. COM. NOT VERY EXPENSIVE.

[d4...]

Undiluted Pharma Liquid Valium and Microtapering Tips

1. I use a 1.0ml(1.0mg) syringe (see prior post). It has 100 lines. Each line is .01ml(mg). If you can't see the incremental lines clearly...try using cheap reading glasses. Works for me.

2. To make things easier, I have a small jar with cap (sterialized baby food jar will work). Just pour a few ml in the jar and draw out your dose from there. When I draw out my dose I draw out MORE than dose amount as there is an air bubble. To get rid of air bubble...hold syringe straight up and when it floats to top, tap the syringe against counter, then squirt the liquid into jar as you reach the line you want for your dose.

3. Some Liquid Valium (depends on what is available in your country) have a bitter taste. You will eventually get used to it. Most pharma Liquid Valium comes in 1ml=1mg. In the U.K. and some other countries...it comes in 2.0ml=5.0mg. In my country, Canada, my Liquid Diazepam (Pharmascience) comes in 1ml=1mg, and I tolerate it well. It is a good idea to do your research and know your brand of Liquid Valium.

4. Decide about the Liquid Valium in neck part of the syringe and factor that in. I do not use it, but some may want to as not to waste it. I then thoroughly clean my syringe by running it under cold water and place it on a paper towel to dry. Then I store it.

5. I put a piece of tape on the barrel of syringe. The lines tend to where out quickly with daily use.

6. The key is to figure out how much to reduce initially when starting microtapering. One should be fairly stabilized. Daily reduction level is usually within 5-10% (can be lower or even higher) based on 10 days. Or, looking at it a different way, you can go by the number of days you want to lose a mg (e.g. a .03 daily reduction = 33 days to lose mg). Reduction level depends on what an individual can tolerate and how symptomatic one is when reducing at a rate. The goal is to find a rate that works for you. Holds are incorporated as needed. I use a 2mgV tablet (until it is no longer possible) and Liquid Diazepam to make up my daily dose. My dose is equally split and I dose twice/day. Dosing is an individual thing and some people dose 1 to 4 times/day. Note that with dosing...what works for one person may not work for another. Keep in mind that Valium/Diazepam has a long half life (up to 200 hours).

7. Daily reduction examples:

.05 daily reduction takes 20 days to lose 1.0mgV

.04 daily reduction takes 25 days to lose 1.0mgV

.03 daily reduction takes 33 days to lose 1.0mgV

.02 daily reduction takes 50 days to lose 1.0mgV

8. Keep track of your dosage level on a daily basis! One important thing is to keep track of your total dose and daily reduction amount on a calender. I determine my reduction level on a daily basis and hold as needed if my w/d s/xs ramp up.

Edited to add more tips on dosing and reduction rate.

EQUIVALENTS

Dilution Ratios                                                         

1mg in 1ml =  1:1                                                                                                         

1ml + 1ml  =  1:2                                   

1ml + 9mls = 1:10               

10mg + 90mls = 1:100         

Uhh..no offense Joe, but I think your confusing percentages with ratios.

1 ml liquid diazepam + 1 ml water is a 1:1 ratio, which makes a 50% solution (2 ml liquid with 1 ml diaz and 1 ml water)

and

10 mg liquid diazepam + 90 ml water is a 1:9 ratio, which makes a 10% solution  (100 ml liquid with 10 ml diazepam, or 10/100)

For my batch I mix 30 ml liquid diazepam with 270 ml water.  That is a 1:9 ratio (30:270=1:9), which makes a 10% solution (I then have 300 ml solution that contains 30 ml diazepam.)

Okay, this is where we are going to start getting confused before we even start. To make a 1:100ml valium solution it's not just one straight forward method.

(a) using tablets (milk titration method) - 1mg valium tablet + 100ml of milk = 100ml solution

(b) using liquid valium (1mg:1ml ratio) - 1ml of liquid valium + 99ml water = 100ml solution

© using liquid valium (2mg:5ml ratio) - 2.5ml of liquid valium + 97.5ml water = 100ml solution

This will be different for 1:10 ratio, but I prefer not to use that.

Valium Liquid Titration Method

I have tried to set this out as simply as possible, showing how to make up a basic 1mg:100ml mixture. However, I will preface these methods by saying that, in most cases, it will require the cutting of tablets. While there are some people who will say this is not advisable, there are just as many people who will say it doesn’t matter because of the extended half-life of valium. The only proviso is that the cut halves are used as consecutive doses, so any inconsistencies will even out over a day or two. 

I personally cut my tablets and I’ve never had any problems, but I'm not everyone. So, if cutting your tablets is a concern for you I have explained how you can avoid doing that at the bottom of the post.

The other comment I will make is that there are other ratios that can be used other than the 1:100 ratio that I use, but I prefer this ratio because you are using more liquid, making the measuring of doses easier to see. Also, because the solution is less concentrated, I think any minor inconsistencies in the doses isn’t going to be a problem.

Equipment Required

Pretty basic equipment is needed - 1ml (if using liquid valium) and 10ml syringes plus 2-3 glass jars with lids that hold at least 100ml. Jars with a wider top are preferred because it makes it easier to fit the 10ml syringe in (good types to use are baby food jars, jam/jelly jars etc). That's about it. I prefer to make up a couple of batches at a time so I always have one on hand.

Making Up The Liquid Solution

I will start by explaining how to make up the 1:100ml solution, and then below is the tapering schedule. To measure the 100ml you don't need a special 100ml cylinder. Just use the 10ml syringe x 10 fills. KISS (Keep it Simple - Sweetie...lol...)

Using Valium Tablets

Add 1mg valium tablet to 100ml full fat milk and allow to dissolve. The fat helps to keep the valium suspended, but when drawing out the required dose, make sure you keep the solution mixed well by doing a backwards and forwards movement. “Stirring” is said to create a vortex, and a lot of people avoid doing that. Also avoid shaking the mixture because particles can stick to the side of the jar.

Using Liquid Valium (1mg=1ml ratio / 10mg=10ml ratio)

Add 1ml of liquid Valium to 99ml of water (this makes a total of 100ml).

Using Liquid Valium (2mg=5ml ratio) (therefore 1mg=2.5ml of liquid valium)

Add 2.5ml of liquid valium to 97.5ml of water (this makes a total of 100ml).

Reduction Method

This has now converted your 1mg of valium (liquid or tablet) into a 100ml solution, which can be reduced over a period of time, hopefully giving you a slow and smooth taper with few side effects.

The next step is to work out how you want to reduce the 1mg. This can be worked out on a percentage basis or as the number of days you want to take to reduce this amount. My preference is the number of days, because I’m not much good at working out percentages..lol…

Below are the amounts you would need to reduce each day to achieve the required number of days shown. Of course most people will be taking more than a 1mg dose, so you would take your additional dose in tablet form (ie if your dose is 6mg, you would use the 100ml solution for 1mg and take an additional 5mg in tablet form).

Reduce 100ml by 5ml per day = 20 days to reduce 1mg

Reduce 100ml by 4.5ml per day = 22 days to reduce 1mg

Reduce 100ml by 4ml per day = 25 days to reduce 1mg

Reduce 100ml by 3.5ml per day = 28 days to reduce 1mg

Reduce 100ml by 3ml per day = 33 days to reduce 1mg

Reduce 100ml by 2.5ml per day = 40 days to reduce 1mg

Reduce 100ml by 2ml per day = 50 days to reduce 1mg

Reduce 100ml by 1.5ml per day = 66 days to reduce 1mg

Reduce 100ml by 1ml per day = 100 days to reduce 1mg

So an example would be – (using the red highlighted amount) + you would take whatever additional dose you need in tablet form to make up your full dose.

Day 1 – Drink the 100ml solution

Day 2 – Make a new solution and drink 98ml (you can either discard the rest or use it to make up part of your next day’s dose)

Day 3 – Make a new solution and drink 96ml (discard or use remainder the next day)

Day 4 – Make a new solution and drink 94ml (discard or use remainder the next day)

Day 5 – Make a new solution and drink 92ml (discard or use remainder the next day)

Day 6 – Make a new solution and drink 90ml (discard or use remainder the next day)

Etc Etc…….. until you reach zero. Then you would start the process again, but reduce the amount of tablets you are taking by 1mg, because you have now reduced your dose by 1mg.

This method can be used for a once a day dosing, or multiple daily dosing. For multiple daily dosing, just divide your doses as normal, and then choose which of your doses you will reduce. You may prefer to just reduce (eg) your morning dose to zero first, and then reduce your other doses later. Or you may decide to alternate the reductions to cover all your doses at the same time. I'm not sure what is the best way to go, because I am a once a day doser, so I would prefer not to give any advice on that subject.

Note - Keep a journal of each day's dose and maybe a note of how you are feeling. It may take up to 2 weeks before you will know how well you are doing with the taper amount you have chosen. So keeping a note of daily symptoms may help you keep a track of how everything is going, so you can make any necessary adjustments.

If You Prefer To Avoid Cutting Tablets

Using this method, it will be inevitable that at some point you are going to have to cut your tablets, but if you would like to try to avoid doing that as much as possible, you can make up a larger mixture by using a 2:200 ratio. All you will need to do is double the amounts shown above. This will simply double the amount of liquid you have, but you will still reduce by the same quantities shown above.

[d4...]

I will preface these methods by saying that, in most cases, it will require the cutting of tablets. While there are some people who will say this is not advisable, there are just as many people who will say it doesn’t matter because of the extended half-life of valium. The only proviso is that the cut halves are used as consecutive doses, so any inconsistencies will even out over a day or two.  I personally cut my tablets and I’ve never had any problems.

The other comment I will make is that there are other ratios that can be used other than the 1:100 ratio that I use, but I prefer this ratio because you are using more liquid, making the measuring of doses easier to see. Also, because the solution is less concentrated, I think any minor inconsistencies in the doses isn’t going to be a problem.

Equipment Required

Pretty basic equipment is needed - 1ml (if using liquid valium) and 10ml syringes plus 2-3 glass jars with lids that hold at least 100ml. Jars with a wider top are preferred because it makes it easier to fit the 10ml syringe in (good types to use are baby food jars, jam/jelly jars etc). That's about it. I prefer to make up a couple of batches at a time so I always have one on hand.

I will start by explaining how to make up the 1:100ml solution, and then below is the tapering schedule. To measure the 100ml you don't need a special 100ml cylinder. Just use the 10ml syringe x 10 fills. KISS (Keep it Simple - Sweetie...lol...)

Using Valium Tablets

Add 1mg valium tablet to 100ml full fat milk and allow to dissolve. The fat helps to keep the valium suspended, but when drawing out the required dose, make sure you keep the solution mixed well by doing a backwards and forwards movement. “Stirring” is said to create a vortex, and a lot of people avoid doing that. Also avoid shaking the mixture because particles can stick to the side of the jar.

Reduction Method

This has now converted your 1mg of valium (liquid or tablet) into a 100ml solution, which can be reduced over a period of time, hopefully giving you a slow and smooth taper with few side effects.

The next step is to work out how you want to reduce the 1mg. This can be worked out on a percentage basis or as the number of days you want to take to reduce this amount. My preference is the number of days, because I’m not much good at working out percentages..lol…

Below are the amounts you would need to reduce each day to achieve the required number of days shown. Of course most people will be taking more than a 1mg dose, so you would take your additional dose in tablet form (ie if your dose is 6mg, you would use the 100ml solution for 1mg and take an additional 5mg in tablet form).

So an example would be – (using the red highlighted amount) + you would take whatever additional dose you need in tablet form to make up your full dose.

Day 2 – Make a new solution and drink 98ml (you can either discard the rest or use it to make up part of your next day’s dose)

Day 3 – Make a new solution and drink 96ml (discard or use remainder the next day)

Day 4 – Make a new solution and drink 94ml (discard or use remainder the next day)

Day 5 – Make a new solution and drink 92ml (discard or use remainder the next day)

Day 6 – Make a new solution and drink 90ml (discard or use remainder the next day)

Etc Etc…….. until you reach zero. Then you would start the process again, but reduce the amount of tablets you are taking by 1mg, because you have now reduced your dose by 1mg.

This method can be used for a once a day dosing, or multiple daily dosing. For multiple daily dosing, just divide your doses as normal, and then choose which of your doses you will reduce. You may prefer to just reduce (eg) your morning dose to zero first, and then reduce your other doses later. Or you may decide to alternate the reductions to cover all your doses at the same time. I'm not sure what is the best way to go, because I am a once a day doser, so I would prefer not to give any advice on that subject.

Note - Keep a journal of each day's dose and maybe a note of how you are feeling. It may take up to 2 weeks before you will know how well you are doing with the taper amount you have chosen. So keeping a note of daily symptoms may help you keep a track of how everything is going, so you can make any necessary adjustments.

Thank you for this information.

Yes, I agree re: your point when cutting V pills that for some people it does not matter. I would like to note that if someone is more sensitive and symptomatic...please do consider not cutting your 2mg or 5mg Valium pills when you make your homemade V mix.

[d4...]

Dilution Ratios                                                         

1 ml liquid diazepam + 1 ml water is a 1:1 ratio, which makes a 50% solution (2 ml liquid with 1 ml diaz and 1 ml water)

and

10 mg liquid diazepam + 90 ml water is a 1:9 ratio, which makes a 10% solution  (100 ml liquid with 10 ml diazepam, or 10/100)

For my batch I mix 30 ml liquid diazepam with 270 ml water.  That is a 1:9 ratio (30:270=1:9), which makes a 10% solution (I then have 300 ml solution that contains 30 ml diazepam.)

Hmmm...how can we keep this as simple as possible and reflect what we are trying to achieve. So my chart is not 1:2 ratio but 1:1 ratio. I have 1ml of Liquid Valium and 1ml of water or Ora-Sweet...yep that is 1:1. Please confirm so that I can change it.

Danni,

It seems to me that if you start with a 1 ML liquid = 1 MG of active V then you have a 1 : 1 ration.  If you dilute the liquid with 1 ML of another solutio with no active ingredient you have a 1 : 2 ratio.  The diluted mixture has 1 MG of V in 2 ML of liquid. 

Bob

Colin, Administrators, Moderators:

Please STICKY THIS THREAD to the TOP of "General Taper Plans"?

(it may not be perfect yet but it will get closer as time goes on and this information is SO hard to find on the forum)

Please take this request under consideration.

Thank you,

Penny

Dilution Ratios                                                         

and

Hmmm...how can we keep this as simple as possible and reflect what we are trying to achieve. So my chart is not 1:2 ratio but 1:1 ratio. I have 1ml of Liquid Valium and 1ml of water or Ora-Sweet...yep that is 1:1. Please confirm so that I can change it.

Yes, that is correct.  I you mix 1 part liquid V and 1 part water or a suspension fluid, then you obviously have a 1:1 ratio.  1/2 of the solution is liquid V, and one half is another liquid.  Since you have equal parts of 2 liquids, the ratio must 1:1.

I will preface these methods by saying that, in most cases, it will require the cutting of tablets. While there are some people who will say this is not advisable, there are just as many people who will say it doesn’t matter because of the extended half-life of valium. The only proviso is that the cut halves are used as consecutive doses, so any inconsistencies will even out over a day or two.  I personally cut my tablets and I’ve never had any problems.

Equipment Required

Using Valium Tablets

Reduction Method

Very nicely done!

Diazpam-

I am dissolving a Valium pill in whole milk. I was under the impression that once the pill is dissolved in milk it becomes a solution not a suspension. Therefore, I shake it once the night before when I make up the batch, but didnt think it was necessary to shake every time I draw a dose.

I just wanted to clarify this information-that the milk forms a solution, not a suspension.  I hope I am right here and have been drawing out accurate doses since I dont shake it before drawing my dose (to avoid bubbles).  I only shake it one time the night before.

Feedback? Thanks.

Dilution Ratios                                                         

and

Yes, that is correct.  I you mix 1 part liquid V and 1 part water or a suspension fluid, then you obviously have a 1:1 ratio.  1/2 of the solution is liquid V, and one half is another liquid.  Since you have equal parts of 2 liquids, the ratio must 1:1.

Hello Builder -

No Offense taken. :)

To Clarify...1Mg Valium + 1Ml of water or Ora-sweet = 1Mg:1Ml solution/suspension (1:1) (I understand the % disagreement)

In simple terms :  1Ml of solution/suspension has 1Mg of Valium in it.  Agreed?

1Ml of 1:1 Pharmaceutical V + 1Ml of water or Ora-sweet = 1:2  (1Mg/Ml+1Ml=2Mls=1:2 Ratio

In simple terms : 2Mls of solution/suspension has 1 Mg of Valium in it (1:2)

These ratios/percentages are being used SOLELY to calculate proper solutions/ suspensions & dosages. No need to cause any extra confusion  :D  K.I.S.S. :thumbsup:

Joe

OK, you are calculating the ratio of liq v in the total amount of solution. So you have a ratio of 1 part V to 2 parts of mixed solution.

But the ratio of liq V to water or suspension liq is still 1:1  One part liq V and one part other liq is a 1:1 ratio.

Apples and oranges. Both statements are correct. 

But if you want a true 10% solution, then you would use 1 ml liq V and 9 ml other liquid. So you would then have 10 mls total solution, which contained 1 ml liq V.  And that is obviously 10 %.

For a 1% solution, you would use 1 ml liq V and 99 ml other liquid.

Using 1% or 10% solutions makes calculating doses and cuts very simple.  All you need to do is move the decimal point 1 or 2 places left.  I use a 10% solution.  My dose for today will be 6.425 mg.  So I take 2X2 (=4mg) mg tablets, then look at my spread sheet, and it tells me to add 24.25 ml of my solution.  Just moving the decimal one place to the left (because its a 10% solution) means I am adding 2.425 mg of V.  So my dose for the day is 2+2+2.425 = 6.425

Benzo taperers use a shorthand (such as writing 1:100) to express how dilute their "working solution" is. This can be puzzling to a new reader who is not clear that the units on each side of the ratio sign are different.

Benzo taperers use a shorthand (such as writing 1:100) to express how dilute their "working solution" is. This can be puzzling to a  reader who's not clear what the units are.

And Joe and my discussion about "ratios" probably haven't really helped.  He and I are using the same term, "ratio" to mean 2 different things.

Actually, the ratios are not especially important: the percentages are.

If you want a 10% solution, use 1 part liquid V and 9 parts other liquid (or 2 and 18, or 3 and 27, or 30 and 270 etc)

If you want a 1% solution, use 1 part liquid V and 99 parts other liquid ( or 2 and 98, or 3 and 97, etc)

If you want a 50% solution, it will be 1 part liq V and 1 part other liquid (or 2 and 2, 5 and 5,  20 and 20, etc)

Hope that helps.

Diazpam-

I am dissolving a Valium pill in whole milk. I was under the impression that once the pill is dissolved in milk it becomes a solution not a suspension. Therefore, I shake it once the night before when I make up the batch, but didnt think it was necessary to shake every time I draw a dose.

I just wanted to clarify this information-that the milk forms a solution, not a suspension.  I hope I am right here and have been drawing out accurate doses since I dont shake it before drawing my dose (to avoid bubbles).  I only shake it one time the night before.

Feedback? Thanks.

Hi Tina

My understanding is that a tablet dissolved in milk is a "suspension". It is only a "solution" when the liquid valium is mixed with water.

The fat in milk helps to keep the tablet suspended, but when I was doing a milk titration I would always make sure I kept the mixture moving because I wanted to be sure there was no settling of the tablet particles. I found a backwards and forwards swishing movement was best to avoid any vortex or bubbles.

I would be interested to hear other people's opinions, because this is an important issue for those using a milk titration.

Thank you for this information.

Yes, I agree re: your point when cutting V pills that for some people it does not matter. I would like to note that if someone is more sensitive and symptomatic...please do consider not cutting your 2mg or 5mg Valium pills when you make your homemade V mix.

Hi Danni

Yes that is a good point. I have made a slight edit at the bottom of the post to allow for using a 2mg tablet.

From the liquid valium thread:

The solution/suspension of Valium in milk issue is a little tricky. Milk is technically an emulsified colloid. Valium is in solution with the fat globules in milk, but the fat globules in turn are in suspension with the water in milk. You could sort of say you Valium/milk brew is both a solution and a suspension. I would do at least a little stirring. The particulate matter is just fillers. Personally, I use Ora-Plus/Sweet which makes a suspension with Valium. I stir it for 5-10 seconds before withdrawing my dose. There do not seem to any problems with this as far as I can tell.

I'm an engineer, not a chemist, so I'll admit I don't know the answer.  But I do know liquid V makes a solution when mixed with water.  Had my pharmacist confirm that with the manufacturer (Roxane) before I even asked my doc for a scrip.

Thanks for that input Builder. I would personally keep the milk mixture mixed well - just to be on the safe side. At least with the liquid valium you do know that it is a proper solution, because it's all liquid - but my OCD still has me doing a "swish" before I draw out any of my dose...lol....

Thanks for that input Builder. I would personally keep the milk mixture mixed well - just to be on the safe side. At least with the liquid valium you do know that it is a proper solution, because it's all liquid - but my OCD still has me doing a "swish" before I draw out any of my dose...lol....

LOL!  So do I.

I just had this suggested to me as being something that would be good to add to this thread.

A lot of people have difficulty working out percentages (me included, but I am getting better at it since I’ve been working out tapering plans..lol…).

Danni posted this link a little while ago, so I thought it would be good to add it to this thread to help us poor unfortunate math tragics…lol…

http://www.percentagecalculator.net/

You can play around with the various sections, but basically if you want to work out what percentage your reduction is of your overall dose, this is what you do (example used will be a 0.5mg cut of a 12mg total dose).

Use Section 2 – 1st field type in .5 (as in 0.5mg) – 2nd field type in 12 (as in 12mg) – then hit calculate. Your percentage cut is 4.166666666666666 (rounded to 4.2%)

If you want to work this out manually this is the formula…

(0.5 ÷ 12) x 100 = (approx.) 4.2%

Dear Danni, I just want to thankyou for starting yet another good informative thread. I know this will help so many including myself. There are so many brilliant people on this forum. How wonderful that so many are taking their time to contribute their knowledge. Love you all Jackie  :smitten:

There are 7 pages of PRINTABLE tapering tables. These tables are based on a 10% Reduction rate starting @ 40 Mgs. This may be considered a "fast" taper. They can be easily modified for a 5% taper.

Click on image to ENLARGE

http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p606/liljoejj88/convertedpg140mgfastaper_zpsb729a462.png