Librium alcohol withdrawal.

[Sa...]

Hi. Long story as short as possible: trying to get off alcohol for 3 months lots of detoxes with lots of librium. After 2 weeks off alcohol and librium feeling good was hit from hell! Dr informed me I was going through librium wd. Made it 6 weeks started to feel better and dr gave me baclofen. Took for three days and was withdrawing from that BAD. So drank. Next thing I know I'm in hospital with bp of 168/115 and they give me ativan for 4 days. Wd back so dr says no more tapering go inpatient was in detox for 11 days where they gave me phenobarbital. Survived out on sat and was feeling pretty ok until today - bad wd hit.

So. Drs in detox told me I may have a couple bad days after leaving but things will get better as my bp went down quick etc. but like an idiot I was so bad today I drank 8 beers and of course hasn't really helped but made me drowsy. I know my gaba is all f'd up but will these beers throw me back into hell tomorrow?

Hello Sadhu,

I have been almost where you are. It's pretty simple, really. You simply cannot drink and hope to recover from the benzos, especially with your history.

I think your first step is to decide to quit drinking, completely, forever. Some people who don't have a problem with drinking can eventually enjoy a little alcohol. You and I are probably different. I tried what you're doing with disastrous results. It wasn't until I finally said no more booze and meant it that I was able to embark on a very long and difficult Valium taper.

You do have one thing in your favor: you haven't been on benzos long term. That you can go two weeks without a benzo or alcohol is a good sign. You shouldn't be at any seizure risk after just one day of drinking.

On the elevated BP, my doctor prescribed clonidine for me. It's also know as catapres. It can help with anxiety during withdrawal as well as keeping BP down. They have probably already given you that as it's pretty standard in alcohol detox. You might talk to your doctor about it today to help keep you a little even tomorrow.

None of us can tell you what to do with this. It's going to take a firm decision and some courage on your part. But I think you shouldn't have to take benzos anymore. Your last Ativan was well within the 2 week limit. Some people do get addicted more quickly, but it's pretty rare.

I'm really terribly empathetic for what you are going through. It just feels like life is over. But I'm here to say it gets so much better.

I hope you'll let us know how you do.

Flip