Author Topic: how to stop awful thoughts  (Read 2185 times)

[Buddie]

how to stop awful thoughts
« on: January 13, 2013, 06:09:26 am »
cant stop thinking of dying and perverted sex stuff.  what can i do?
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

Re: how to stop awful thoughts
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 06:25:09 am »
reminds me of OCD, why not google ocd and use the tips for coping with it? sometimes if you write down your thoughts they will stop recurring.
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 07:02:30 am »
Hi  [...],

These kinds of obsessive thoughts are common during withdrawal. There is a technique called 'Thought Stopping'. This is a way to remind yourself to stop thinking any sort of thoughts you find disturbing.

You place an elastic band on your wrist. When you start to have one of these thoughts, you snap the elastic and. Snapping the elestic shouldn't hurt. This isn't a punishment. It should simply be a way to bring your mind back to where you are. So, you will snap the elastic and say, either out loud or to yourself, "Stop!" You must then turn your attention to something else or your mind will wander back to the thought. You can look at the tiles on the floor in great detail. See the differing patterns or the differing colours. Count how many different shades of colours you see. Or look at the wall and pick out things in detail you see. You must go into as much detail as possible to allow your mind to really focus on something else. This technique also helps when dealing with anxiety or panic attacks.

Be patient. It will take practice as does anything. But keep at it. You will then see you have control over your thoughts and this is a very empowering feeling.

[Buddie]

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 10:36:32 pm »
ive been reading about intrusive thoughts relating to ocd.  i get sick sexual thoughts.  i learned the key is to not run from them and just accept them and not be disgusted.

help?

[Buddie]

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 08:19:21 pm »
 :D they will go away. they are part of wd  sexual thoughts-- violent thoughts-- crazy dreams. just let em happen.. it will get better. happens to many of us. same goes with suicidal thoughts . try to see that these things are just part of the getting better process . try not to freak out when or the frequency or the vividness of these thoughts. try this. say to yourself . ( im not a bad person trying to get good) rather. ( im a sick person trying too get well).  :thumbsup:

[Buddie]

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 10:15:31 pm »
Dude I am going through this right now as well. I literally try to focus my attention else where! It gave me so much anxiety i mean bad! Its crazy there totally random I'm the most laid back person youd ever meet! But I had a thought late on night walking into my kitchen and i thought about stabbing my girlfriend I was like whatttttt the hell!!! Freaked me out bad! Then the other day I had a wierd thought when I was changing my sons diaper, wont go into detail but I literally had a anxiety attack! I was thinking to myself what am I turning into a child molestor now.....and the answer is NO. They freaked me out cuz there not part of my normal thought process but Im learning the hard way but ya just gotta roll with it and not work yourself up over it.....

[Buddie]

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 10:22:26 pm »
Well mines is a little different,im having scarey questions of what if,like what if I hurt someone.And then it takes me a few days to stop obssesing over it,torture.I dont know if this is ocd or not.

[Buddie]

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 06:38:57 pm »
I have these to. Sumtyms in the car , I think of just openin the door nd jumpin out in the highway, I freak out wen ths happens. Cz its f'n weird nd jst crazy. Wen I hold or see a knife, I think of hw stabbing myslf or sum1 wud feel. These thoughts are evil, benzos are evil pills honestly. I also question if these thots will eva go away. Cnt stand them cz wen they strt, my anxiety shoots ryt thru the roof.

[Buddie]

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 09:40:24 pm »
[...],

I know how disturbing these thoughts are. This kind of thinking if part of the withdrawal of this medication. The majority of people who have these types of fleeting thoughts don't act on them.

[Buddie]

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 04:19:10 pm »
cant stop thinking of dying and perverted sex stuff.  what can i do?
Dude... These thoughts Suck. Lol. Sorry if this offends anyone but i think it is interesting and funny.. A thought popped into my head of me wipping my butt with my hand and then eating it?? And then i got scared of this thought because i know i dont have a grasp on myself and might actually do it. Lol..
Then i get these wierd thoughts aboutkilling my dog, or starting my car without oil( while doing an oil change) or turning in the opposite side if the freeway.. And all these thoughts give me this fear sensation that tells me to check myself because it could happen since i dont have a grasp on myself.

I think this is a form of healing though, maybe its our brain dumping out all the bad stuff(to its extremities)  and reminding us our morals.