Benzos and Libido

[br...]

I'm not sure if this topic has come up before so I apologize in advance if this discussion has already taken place. I have heard of antidepressants effecting libido but I'm only on Klonopin right now and I noticed it effecting me. I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this?  My libido was effected while I was on the Klonopin before tapering and it has been even worse now that I'm tapering off. Is this normal? Or is it just me.  Even kissing felt icky to me and I used to love to kiss.  I'm also thinking of getting my hormones checked out but first I wanted to find out if anyone had this experience as well?

My libido was effected while I was on the Klonopin before tapering and it has been even worse now that I'm tapering off. Is this normal? Or is it just me.  Even kissing felt icky to me and I used to love to kiss. 

Hi Brite, funny you should bring this up now, cuz I just experienced this to some extent last weekend. And I have just finished my taper. I was a little concerned, but I really believe in my case it had to do more with the guy. I just posted in my blog about it.

But I truly think benzos definitely effect libido. They say the largest sex organ in your body is your brain/mind. If it's being sedated or going thru withdrawal, it only makes sense that this would effect libido in a big way.   

Am tapering off same benzo - Rivotril(Klonopin) and I thought that the antidepressants and illness wrecked my libido. But amazingly after my second taper, from the Rivotril, it returned, if only just for a day or two. Will have to see - but definitely think that the Benzos could have something to do with it!!

• 5 years later...
Libido has to do with male hormone testosterone, and yes benzos do effect the sex hormones in both male & female either lowing or raising them through HPA axis dysregulation in the endrocrine system. Have been  doing research on trying to figure out the missing link on why some people on benzos gain weight and muscle mass and  others waste away. Testosterone is an anobolic hormone &  has to do with sex drive, building muscle mass and a host of other positive effects for a feeling of well being as opposed to low or depleted levels of this hormone which can put you in a catabolic state (muscle wasting , premature aging). I've had low sex drive for years even before benzos while only working with one ovary. Just had my sex hormone levels checked and testosterone was @ 0 imagind that!  I'm sure the benzos had a hand in depleting it. Men & women need testosterone for a feeling of overall well being. Everything leads back to the benzos!