help with save antibiotic

[ro...]

[22...]

Hi

I've used amoxicyllin many times and been okay with it.  I believe it's the quinolones that you need to stay away from. 

Staffy

quinolone AB's are absolutely out of the question for us but other than that the process will be hit or miss.  Last month I developed a tooth infection and my dentist gave me clindamycin.  Prior to starting those I was feeling pretty good but about a week into the cycle I could feel my wd symps ramping up. 

It's always difficult to say EXACTLY what cause symps to increase.  In my case it was just time for a wave or the AB caused the wave.  Fearing this antibiotic was the culprit I called the dentist and she switched me to erythromycin.  Big mistake! 

This particular AB caused all my benzo wd symps to go crazy. It also caused several new symps like a rash, constant headache and stomach pain. It felt like I was back in the acute phase of benzo wd.  I'm not saying this will happen to anyone because we all react differently to Meds but I have found research showing AB's cross the blood-brain barrier which can complicate our healing process...particular benzo healing. 

If you have an infection then chances are you need to take an antibiotic and from what I've found Amoxicillin seems to be the best choice for poeple like us. Hope this helps.

I had a bad time recently with azithromycin - first drug of any type I took in 3 yrs. I had panic through the roof for weeks (has a long, long half life) burnign sensations in my upper body only, myolconic jerks whenever I tried to rest, palpitations non stop, muscle fasciculations, akathesia (the akathesisa lasted just for the first days). That is in addition to the usual physical stuff, gastric disturbances, headache, nausea. I got a bad case of oral thrush from it too, and I could hardly swallow.

Well, I called my pyschiatrist (whom I have called in three years for an emergency or advice!) and asked him about it. Since I had to possibly take more antibiotics, he recommened that a broad spectrum antibiotic would have the least CNS effects. That is not to say that there would be none (as in anxiety). He talked about the penicillin family and recommeded to me also the cephalasporin family. But, he said to focus on the term "broad spectrum antibiotics" when talking to my drs about prespcribing.

He is a psychopharmacologist, fyi, so allegedly this is sound advice. How is will work for you  or me is always the unknown esp in post benzo world.  :idiot:

I haven' tried it yet, and am hanging on with massive sinus infection of over 7 weeks. Still debting what to do as I have had a major physical set back and just can't tolerate any more disturbances in the form of medical intervetion at the moment.