Do you have more panic attacks when sleep deprived?

[...]

I feel that this is the case for me.

I had a moderate one today in a noisy and dark restaurant w/ low ceilings... I had to step outside and felt better quickly...

The 2nd panic attack I've had in a restaurant...damnit.  What is it?  The people and the clausterphobia?  I've been ok in 2 bars...

Anway.. .thanks

Bars always make me feel safe and calm me down, lol! It's not the alcohol, it's just that I feel safe there. I"ve felt like that my whole life, even as a kid the few times I may have been in a bar for a few moments.

Makes sense that lack of sleep makes you more sensitive to anxiety and panic.

deep breathing excersices help - as does meditation - you can take a slow deep breath anywhere at anytime - hold it and breath out slowly hold and repeat.

always breath in from the nose out through the mouth when doing deep breathing.

panic is a result of shallow breathing - not getting enough oxygen - to the count of four breath deep down into your lungs (let you tummy expand on the inhale) - hold - exhale through you mouth - letting your tummy collapse.

if you place your hand on your stomach you can practice before do it enough so you feel comfortable with it - then you can just take deep breaths anywhere- anytime through out the day here and there.

Deep breathing literally changes your brain chemistry.

It switches off the sympathetic nervous system(the release of fight or flight chemicals) by switching on the parasympathic nervous system.(releases the calming chemicals)

• 2 weeks later...

YES.  Not only does lack of sleep increase anziety, I noticed I have much less tolerance for pain.  We don't have to mention that it slows down our thinking, do we?

Thomas