Is it possible to work while in withdrawal?

[Me...]

Next week I NEED to go back to work.  I'm truly dreading it.  I keep thinking I can't do this or I'm gonna freak out and just leave. 

Whats your guys experience with working while in w/d?

Do you think it will might make me feel better, to be busy and not staying in the house all the time?

Hi

It helps to be as stable as possible. I've not missed a day's work yet (knock on wood). The distraction of work can be helpful. On the whole, however, I think I would have fewer symptoms overall but the taper would take almost as long if I were not working. The advantage of few responsibilities is you can rest whenever you want as well as do more exercise, meditation and whatever else seems to aid recovery. There is usually but not always less stress when we don't work.

Hi, M,

It may be just the thing for you especially with all you've dealt with recently.  Something to occupy your thoughts.  You seem to be a very strong person and I wish you the best.  Let us know how it goes.  Will you be able to step away and take an occasional "break" during the day?    Lately, my mantra has been, "I can do this...this is just a symptom but it won't stop me."  It's working...all except driving on the interstate.  Not ready for that one yet. 

Take care,

Sunnyside

I started working a physical job again at 18 months off. It worked out well for me. The job ended a few weeks ago and I still don't have the cognitive ability to work with my brain so I am trying to get something else going that doesn't require much thinking.

I went back to work after 3 months off. I think it was really helpful actually, to be around people again and get into a normal routine. Don't get me wrong, I've almost LOST it a few times and have had to take some walks to calm down but on the whole I really think it could be helpful for you. I had those same thoughts before I went back about not being able to do it but I bet you're stronger than you think.

I have been working part time since they cut back my hours.  Since mornings are terrible I go to work around noon.  There have been days when the drive into work was terrible but after I had been at work for an hour I started to feel better.  Weekends it takes me longer to start feeling better during the day.  I think it is because I'm not at work concentrating on a project.  I' m considering getting up in the morning and driving around for 1/2 hour to see if that helps me feel better sooner. 

Thanks guys.  It seems like a prety positive response to working.  I think I just have to get over the initial fear of just staring work again.  And then getting into groove of getting up early in the morning.   

I also need to go back to A.A meetings.  Again its just the fear of going back. 

Thanks again.  Much healing and all the best