WTF, me - addicted to Ambien???

[it...]

HELP!!  I'm so glad to have found an on-line support group, because boy do I need it! 

I am shocked, sad, and freaked out to wake up this morning and realize that I am totally addicted to Ambien.  I had a horrible night from not taking it, feeling like I was going insane, worms were eating into my brain, and full on trapped-in-your body nightmare obsessive thoughts.  I was pacing the floor last night before finally taking it again, having this realization.  Today I have a tight chest and have been searching on-line all morning, until I found this site.

I have been a long time sufferer of insomnia and was prescribed Ambien by my doctor.  I have been taking one 10mg pill nightly for about a year.  Occasionally I have taken one and a half, or one followed another one if I can't sleep and its two in the morning and still can't sleep.  I didn't think much of it as it helped me to sleep a little better.  Except that I have started feeling really edgy and speedy if I go beyond the normal time at night I take it, or forget, then realize I better get to bed because it's 2 am and I'm not EVEN tired.  I have always felt feeling envious of normal people who can sleep on their own.  I have always struggled with sleep and want to be healthy and normal.

Now I'm scared, and angry to realize I'm in this addicted situation and want to get free & clear!  I am job searching and had no idea that Ambien could show up on a drug test and potentially nix a job opportunity for me.  How am I going to do it though??  It seems impossible.  That feeling last night was awful and now I'm scared about facing tonight.  I could really use the advise for starting a tapering-off, and have some others to dialog with that have been through it.

Newbie needing support,

C.S.

Hello itzalgd,

Welcome to Benzo Buddies!  I am sorry you had to have such a terrible experience after stopping Ambien suddenly.  These types of medications do need to be tapered gradually to avoid the effects that you had.

While Ambien is not a benzo, it does still target the same receptors in the nervous system.  I don't have personal experience with that medication but there are many members who do and I am sure that they will chime in here.  The Ashton Manual does address these "z" types of drugs.  I would suggest you read it to familiarize yourself with the withdrawal process. Here is a link to the manual: Professor Ashtons Manual

It is generally recommended to taper no more than 5-10% every 10-14 days to minimize withdrawal effects.

It sounds as if you have reached tolerance with the Ambien, where it is taking more and more to achieve the original effect.  That is the nature of these types of drugs.

I am sorry to hear of your concern about your job search. I can tell you that from my experience it is completely possible to withdrawal from these medications, it is doable.  It's understandable to be a little afraid, we will do our best to help you.  Please ask questions, so that members can respond appropriately I would ask you to create a signature line listing your medication and dosage.  Here are the directions to do that: Create a signature

pianogirl

Thank you SOOO MUCH for your quick reply!  I have read your profile and many others stories this morning and it has helped but I'm so scared.  I am amazed at what you have been through and it gives me hope.  (I'm confused because some say Ambien IS a benzo, and others say it isn't).  I have to get off of it in case it comes up on a benzo drug screen since I have been interviewing for jobs.

I am committed to starting a taper off as of today!  I just got done cutting all the pills into fourths.  10mg down to 2.5mg roughly (some crumbs).  I thought I would try taking three of the quarters for the next few nights then try dropping to just two, and see what happens. Part of me wants to just throw them all away, because I am disgusted - but the state of mind I was in last night was no place I want to be again!  Will cutting back to three quarters per night put me back in that awful withdrawal feeling?  I almost gave all the pills to my Mom who lives with me (confess my situation) so she can dole them out to me, but then decided against that.

No sure how to be exact about the milligrams when just using a knife to cut the pills down in size.  So worried about tonight......

(hope my signature shows up)  Thank you, C.S.

Hi again,

I used a razor blade to cut my small pills, others use a jewelers scale to be more accurate.  I think 2.5 would be a large cut for you. 1mg would be 10%.  Try not to hurry, I know how you feel.  It is hard not to be impatient with the withdrawal process.  The problem of tapering too fast is that the symptoms can be strong.  Sometimes this causes people to give up and reinstate and that's something to be avoided. Let your body adjust to the drop in dosage, that is why the 10-14 day period is recommended.

Take your time, accept you have to do this, have courage and be patient. It might be a good idea to have support at home while you undertake this project to be free of medications. Do you think your mom would support you and encourage you if you let her know?

pianogirl

Welcome from me too Itzalgd, :hug:

Try not to be scared your going to be ok, it will get better for you. I am posting a link to the Insomnia Board, feel free to check out the forum and post to any of the dedicated boards, you'll find a great community of people who are here to support and encourage you.

Good Luck

Magrita 

It's usually best to taper very slowly. Otherwise, you might have a hard time getting off of it. Since Ambien has such a short half-life, it might all be out of your system eight hours after you take it. Even if it does show up in a drug test, would Ambien jeopardize your job? It's a perfectly respectable, prescription drug, not taken recreationally, but only for sleep. Read this about testing for Ambien:

[nobbc]http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=412240[/nobbc]

Edit: commercial link deactivated

Wow, it is wonderful to feel like there are people out there who care and are giving me this feedback.  Thank you!

I don't know about buying a weight scale, money is tight for me since I'm job searching.  I will try using a razor blade and guessing at cutting the 2.5mg into 1/2.  I will stick with that amount for 10 days, before cutting back by the shaved off 1/2 of 2.5mg.  I do admit I feel like rushing it because I just want to get it over with, but I am hearing your warnings on that loud and clear.  I will read the Insomnia link, thank you.  The encouragement means to the world to me. 

I could talk to my Mom, she would be supportive.  I don't like the idea of asking her for it when I need it, but I guess that is part of the head trip. I want to just do this on my own.  When I decide to do something, I do it - but then this is an addiction I'm talking about so that sounds pretty lame to my rational mind.

How long will it take for me to get off of Ambien??  Job searching is so competitive these days, if I do make it to a drug screen I bet they wouldn't even call me back for my "explanation", they would just rule me out. 

Oh boy!  This is just the beginning.......

Trying to stay hopeful,

C.S.

I know you are job hunting right now, so the main objective is to not put yourself into a situation where your eyes are pointing in different directions from a rapid taper.  :D

I would read as much as you can so you can manage this situation well.

Keep posting and I wish you a smooth road out.

River

Thank you so much for your reply.  The urgent awareness that I could be called to be drug tested for a job opportunity while interviewing is actually helping me to stay focused on my comittment to the goal of getting off Ambien, even though it is very hard to do both.  Both make me lose sleep which is why I started taking Ambien in the first place!  **Aaaagghhh**

Day two of my aggressive taper off from 10mg per day for a year has me feeling awful abdominal pain tonight, almost like I have apendicitis!  Wow, hurts like hell.  Aside from this and a feeling of a tight chest, I am doing OK.  We'll see if I get any sleep tonight though.

The encouragement and community of this forum is such a HUGE help!  I'm going to do this!!

C.S.

Day three of Ambien taper off.... and i'm having lots of very physical withdrawl symptoms! 

First day brought awful stomach pains.  I am also feeling pressure in my lower legs like a blot clot feeling, really achy and irritating.  The bottoms of my feet hurt when I walk.... really weird. I also have a very tight chest and feel very edgy especially at the 24 hour mark when I am supposed to take my dose.

Its really amazing that your body can become so incredibly dependent on these tiny little pills, and any reduction in the amount brings on all the incredible symptoms in yiur body and your mind!  I am so glad I am on the road of freeing myself from this dead end trap of dependency.

I had no idea all this was going on inside me until I tried to stop taking it or reduced the dose.

Thank you for this forum to share my experiences and read about yours.  It really helps a lot!!