Intro. Info. on Emotional Blunting

[e....]

Hi,  I had taken 5mg nitrazepam nightly for 7 years. Having retired I felt I had no further need of it so I just didn't refill my prescription one day. Well that didn't work out... So a little research and found benzo.org.uk and used the Ashton method and tapered off. Success, that was a year ago and almost all the symptoms from long term use have been resolved except for one.  Emotional blunting has not abated and was hoping to have some improvement by now. I accept that it may take some time and I remain patient. Managing my expectations and remaining positive has helped keep depression at bay for the most part, but there are days that I wonder, Will this last forever?  I would really like to hear how others have coped with this. I have become more withdrawn of late and feeling guilty over my stunted emotional response to loved ones.... and my fear of appearing uncaring to them when I was anything but before, I rely on their patience for now and look to this forum for some guidance.  Ripley

Hello Ripley :hug:

Welcome to benzobuddies, I am sorry you still have the emotional blunting I know exactly how you feel I had this too. It's a common withdrawal symptom of benzodiazepines and in answer to your question no it will not last forever, it will right itself with time. It was one of my last symptoms to heal, it was 18 months for me. Congratulations on being free well done to you, don't be too hard on yourself your going to be ok.

Please feel free to check out the forum and post to any of the dedicated boards. You will find a great community of people who are here to support and encourage you. You might like to post a question to the Withdrawal and Recovery board and if you could be so kind to add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) this link will show you how to Create a signature

Please let us know If you have any questions and we will do our best to answer them.

I wish you well

Magrita

Hi Ripley,

Welcome to BenzoBuddies. I have found a lot of help here for which I am so grateful. Apparently there are only three of us on Nitrazepam here in the UK. Are you in UK as well?

What were your worst side-effects? Mine mainly neck/head pains + more!

If you look at my signature you will see how I have tapered.

How did you do your tapering? Did you use liquid version at all? I have been guided by the very kind people on this board.

I hope you will recover fully for the New Year!

Carlton  ( a Nitrazepam user)  :)

Patience seems to be key in all this.

Hi Ripley,

I too would like to welcome you to the forum  :)

Congratulations on being benzo free ! I'm glad that most of your symptoms have been resolved. It can take a while for full healing to take place but it will happen, you will heal fully in time.

I'm another member in the throes of tapering from Nitrazepam. We appear to be in the minority so it makes a pleasant change to welcome a new member who has successfully tapered and is making a good recovery.

I'm glad you found us and I wish you well.

Debbie